Thursday, June 10, 2010

Shouldn't we be able to do what we please?

Seriously? What ever happened to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

I was listening to the radio this morning (more on that in a minute) and I heard a Sheriff's deputy from Paulding County talking about a soon-to-be-enforced law north of Kennesaw that will make it illegal for people under the age of 18 to use a cell phone a vehicle at all AND will make texting ticket-eligible for drivers 18-and-over. (That includes data messaging, emailing, etc).

Are you kidding me?

They are trying to say that texting is distracting and this will help decrease accidents.

Funny, I can text while driving WITHOUT having to look down at my phone and I seem to do alright. I have friends that can text while driving withouth having to look down and they seem to do alright as well.

I don't think that texting while driving is ANYMORE of a distraction than say....

-Riding with a baby in the car. Seriously, those things can start screaming really loudly

-Riding with a soccer-mom van full of kids coming heading to the game. I know I was always tying and retying my shoes, making sure my batting gloves were tight. My buddy was always asking who stole his glove.

-Riding with a member of the marching band that is practicing his instrument. One time, at band camp....seriously though. try and concentrate while your fat little kid is playing his tuba.

-Riding with a nagging spouse. I love my wife. I am saying this for OTHER people...

-Riding with an in-law. I love my in-laws. I am sure other people don't like theirs though...

-Listening to the radio. That can be distracting, especially if you are listening to/yelling at a "really talented" sports radio host that got his job because he broke his neck. No he totally deserved that cushy job with ZERO prior experience...

-Smoking in the car. I am sure packing the ciggies then trying to fiddle with a lighter is TOTALLY safe, compared to texting while keeping your eyes on the road

-Riding with a dog on your lap. These people don't deserve tickets, they deserve to be shot.

-Riding with mapquest directions in your hand. I will admit, sometimes I am one of these a-holes, but isn't that more distracting when you are looking for road signs and then at a piece of paper, compared to texting while watching the road? COME ON!

Bottom line, you should be able to text in the car while driving, IF YOU CAN. I think a bunch of those drivers out there shouldn't be out there anyway, even if they AREN'T texting. But if I want to text, I guess I have to pull over. This is China afterall, right?

No comments: