Friday, July 30, 2010

I hope Masoli DOES go to Ole Miss

Perhaps my stance on the subject is off, and clearly it is different than everyone else's, but I LOVE the idea of Jeremiah Masoli coming to Ole Miss in the SEC. Apparently the former Oregon Ducks QB is on Ole Miss's campus right now, looking around and seeing if he likes it enough to officially transfer to play for the Rebels. Masoli was kicked off the Ducks team after he was found driving with weed in the car months after he pled down in a case involving (along with Roswell's own Garrett Embry) a frat house robbery.

But now Masoli, who graduated recently, is a "free agent" who is looking for a team to play on immediately, as long as the school offers a graduate program that Oregon does not. Three schools immediately expressed interest: K-State, West VA and Ole Miss. Now the Rebels have a history of taking QBs from other BCS programs (B. Schaeffer, J. Snead) and with Masoli in the fold, the team could go from 6-6 to 9-3 or even 10-2. 680 The Fan's Chuck Oliver was just on the air, hyping up Masoli, saying he will immediately could be a Heisman candidate at WVa or Ole Miss and could lead them to fantastic seasons because of his talent.

I agree. The Kang though doesn't seem to like the idea of Masoli at Ole Miss because Masoli is "dumb."

While that might be true, he is a HECKUVA player that had a very nice 2008 and a Rose Bowl 2009 season. He laid the wood to USC 47-20, I believe and won the Pac-10. Now he (maybe) heads to Ole Miss and the Rebels and I am thrilled. As an SEC fan, I want the BEST in this conference, no questions asked. I am glad that our conference gets another superstar to help boost our conference's cred. I want to see how this guy does against Alabama's defense. I want to see if he can go toe-to-toe with Ryan Mallet of Arkansas (I realize they have different games, but they both lead offenses). I want to see if his speed can outrun LSU's defensive speed. I want to see him go up against Cam Newton's similar skill-set.

Bottom line: better players in a conference is always good. I know this kid isn't winning a Tim Tebow humanitarian award, but come on. Pointing out the shady moral standards of Ole Miss just reveals the dirt under the fingernail that is doing the pointing. This is the SEC. Every program has some dirt going on. All of college football has that going on. I'm not excusing his past, but if he IS going to play, (and it is clear that he is) why NOT have him in the SEC, the BEST CONFERENCE AROUND?
Bring in Masoli and we can be even more entertained at 12:21 on a Saturday morning, or 3:30 on CBS or Thrusday nights on ESPN or 7:45 on ESPN2. This guy is one of college football's best players and now he could call the SEC home. Great for the SEC!

No comments: