Friday, February 3, 2012

The Satisfaction will come eventually

For more on Georgia's Signing Class, check out www.chuckoliver.net

As a Georgia guy following the faxes on National Signing Day, I was reminded of Teddy KGB from Rounders. “Just like a young man, coming in for (an ice cream cone). I feel so unsatisfied.” Well perhaps I changed the part about the ice cream cone, but you get the gist. Georgia had 17 pledges the morning of National Signing Day, then managed to flip Josh Dawson from Vanderbilt and then (eventually) secure Josh Harvey-Clemons. Anytime you can snag the best player in the state and get a four-star prospect away from a division opponent, you should call it a good day.

But I was left wanting more. Was I spoiled by last year’s Dream Team? I guess I was. Georgia was in the running for Ronald Darby and Avery Young yet missed out on both. Georgia thought it could get Brandon Greene and/or Ja’Quay Williams to flip, but both stayed with Alabama and Auburn, respectively. Georgia finished with 19 players, including a kicker and a punter, and in the top five according to ESPN, the top ten according to 247Sports and in the top 11 according to the two other services. But I just wanted more. I wanted a faster start than what Georgia had and I wanted a stronger finish. Am I being selfish?

Georgia managed to snag two of the top six running backs in the country, filling a need. Georgia managed to snag two of the best players in the state in Jordan Jenkins and Harvey-Clemons. Georgia managed to snag some help on the defensive line in John Atkins, Leonard Floyd, James Deloach, Jonathan Taylor and Dawson. Georgia managed to grab a freak of an athlete in Faton Bauta, who is already spending 15 hours a day at the Georgia complex, lifting, studying and improving. Oh and did I mention yet that Georgia managed to snag one of the best offensive linemen in the country in five-star tackle John Theus who should start from Day One?

Georgia’s class is worthy of a top ten ranking, no doubt. It just feels that after last year’s strong close, when the Dawgs won several late declarations that they missed this year, perhaps this class never had a chance. Another 10 game winning streak will make us forget all of the stars and rankings though. Once we see Keith Marshall score his first touchdown with Theus blocking, I’m sure I will feel plenty satisfied then.

No comments: