Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Darrius Caldwell very Enthusiastic to be a Jacket

“Playmaker, hard-worker, loves to play the game of football.” That is how one of the newest members of Georgia Tech’s recruiting class, Mays (GA) defensive end Darrius Caldwell, describes himself. Earlier this week on Score Atlanta's The Official Visit, co-hosts Fletcher Proctor and Scott Janovitz welcomed Caldwell in for a quick chat about his pledge. Yellow Jacket head coach Paul Johnson received the commitment of Caldwell over the weekend following a visit that left Caldwell glowing days after. “I’m very excited right now. I’ve always been a fan of Tech.” Caldwell said multiple times during a recent interview that he was impressed with the enthusiasm found all over campus, starting with the head coach and trickling down to the assistants as well as the players and others associated with the program. “I committed after meeting with Coach Johnson and I saw his enthusiasm. That’s my biggest thing.”

Caldwell wasn’t kidding when he said that enthusiasm was his biggest thing. The Yellow Jackets’ zeal and tradition led him to pledge to Georgia Tech over South Carolina, Virginia, Ole Miss, UCF and West Virginia he admitted. He also warns that those schools would be wasting their time if they believe they can flip him away from Tech. “I have no reason to visit any other school. I’ve given my word and I’m going to recruit for my new school.”

The defensive end says he is working on his speed and strength as he will switch positions at the next level. Caldwell said he spoke with the Tech coaches and he will be an outside linebacker in Al Groh’s 3-4 defense, opposed to the hand-down end he is now in his high school’s 4-3 attack. The position switch doesn’t bother him though as he trusts his future coaches. “I’m going to do what the coaches want,” Caldwell said. “They’ll put me in a position to succeed.” He also said that he’ll heed their advice on what to do his first season on campus. While he said he’d love to have an impact right out of the gate, if he struggles to pick up the new position, he will gladly wait in the wings. “If they want me to redshirt, I’ll do it.”

Overall, Caldwell seems positively thrilled to be one of the newest members of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket recruiting class, which has recently been picking up steam, especially in North Carolina. Looking back Caldwell had zero dislikes about the recruiting process. “The whole thing was a joy for me. Hard work pays off and it was an honor.”

Caldwell does want a state title before he departs for Tech however. The senior said that while he has improved his consistency, the team overall has got a lot better and is going to be a major player this season. “We’ve got the best defense in the state. We’re very disciplined and we’ve got young players ready to step up and make plays.” The Blue and Gold Raiders of Mays face Dunwoody this Saturday to begin the season.

No comments: