Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rory Anderson likes the Gamecocks

Several weeks ago McEachern linebacker Marcquis Roberts admitted to Score Atlanta’s The Official Visit co-hosts that he and teammate Rory Anderson would likely be a package deal for whichever college they decide to attend. Last night on the Official Visit, Anderson didn’t exactly confirm Roberts’ claim but he did mention that the two are planning to take visits together and one school could set up nicely for both.

“South Carolina is my top school right now,” said Anderson when asked about his top five. “It’s not too far but not too close. My mom can come to all of the home games and Marcquis’s grandmother lives there.” In fact when the two went to Columbia to visit the campus, the two stayed with Roberts’ grandmother according to Anderson. The McEachern tight end, one of the top TEs in the state of Georgia and a member of the Score 44, likes how Steve Spurrier and the Gamecocks use the tight end position as well as their loyalty. “They’ve been with me from the jump,” said Anderson.

A “close second” is the University of Virginia however and Anderson said he enjoyed himself on a recent visit to Charlottesville. “I had a chance to go up there. It was a nice, historic campus.” Anderson was intrigued by the fact that the Virginia coaching staff asked him what position he wanted to play because Anderson has considered playing receiver. “I can be a receiver because my dad is tall and I’m tall. If I put on weight though I’ll stay at tight end.” He revealed that the Gamecocks want him strictly as a tight end.

Anderson said that he doesn’t plan on committing until after making his visits. “It’s a big decision. It’s the next four years of my life,” said Anderson of his important decision and forthcoming pledge in the next few months. “I will take my officials before I decide. Education is something I’m looking at everywhere I go,” Anderson admitted. He also noted that location was the other big factor for him as he wants to be close enough for his mother to be able to watch his games.

With his college selection needing to be close, he has included the Tennessee Volunteers and the South Florida Bulls in his final four. “I like the Vols,” Anderson said about Tennessee but he was more complimentary of USF. “I’ve been through South Florida and I’ll most likely take an official there.” He said he wants to learn more about the Tampa area before potentially matriculating there.

His mother though gave a big clue as to where Anderson, and Roberts, may end up. “My mom thinks it is (going to) be South Carolina.” Anderson wouldn’t confirm that he will do what “mama” says but he did admit that he has a better relationship with the South Carolina coaching staff than any other school, Virginia included, despite the Cavalier coaching attending a recent McEachern game.

“I’ve always dreamed about playing football on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons, I’ll be ready to go,” said Anderson about his attitude once he finally decides. “I want to play early, but if I have to redshirt, I’ll be more prepared and more ready to go next year than this year,” Anderson concluded about his first year expectations. Whatever college snags Anderson, and possibly Roberts, Anderson will be ready to compete and with his size, it will be difficult for ANY coaching staff to keep him off the field, great relationship or not.

No comments: