Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My GHSA brackets are busted, but who cares?

So when the regular season ended and the brackets came out, everyone, including myself penciled in how we thought the brackets would play out over the last few weeks. I want to start by saying that my brackets were busted officially last week and I have just one “champion” pick left, though I won’t say which one.

The best part about the Georgia high school playoffs though: who cares about brackets? As high school football fans, we’ve been treated to incredible game after incredible game, many with amazing finishes and all with standout performances from standout players.

I am not sure what I’ve been most impressed with this playoff “second season.” Was it Carver-Columbus’ Isaiah Crowell playing Can-You-Top-This with himself and going for huge game after huge game with all of the state and most of the Southeastern Conference watching? Was it Kyle Karempelis waving to Herschel Walker as he passed his rushing touchdown mark with another explosive postseason for Wesleyan? Was it Ammon Lapik nailing a 52-yard field goal in the freezing cold to move Chattahoochee past Marist and then two weeks later drilling a 27-yarder with no time left to beat Statesboro by one point to reach the finals? Was it Hillgrove, Collins Hill and Mill Creek pulling off incredible upsets to advance in the AAAAA playoffs and give North Georgia a good name? Was it Starr’s Mill pulling off maybe the biggest upset in Class AAAA, stealing the “biggest upset” title from Whitewater? Was it Class AAA’s Carrollton and Sandy Creek setting up what might be the highest scoring championship ever? Was it Buford willing itself to win time after time at home, setting up a third straight title game with Calhoun?

My bracket may be busted but I have thoroughly enjoyed the 2010 playoffs and am looking forward to the 31 hours of coverage that GPB will provide starting at 4:30 p.m. this Friday live from the Georgia Dome. You can have California, Texas and Florida. I’ll take Georgia’s action any day of the week.

No comments: