Friday, May 21, 2010

Stop being afraid to be who you are!

There is a radio station that I am forced to listen to at work because they play generic music that won't offend anyone like apparently 99X would.
Recently this station ridded itself of half of its morning show tandem, keeping the female around and giving her the show. After a day I guess the higher-ups realized that she couldn't carry the show on her own and a male voice was needed. The Producer was then given more of a speaking role on the show.

Here is where I have a problem. Before I explain the problem, let me say that I am simply going on what I listen to on the station and I have zero inside information. Now that that is out of the way...

The male producer sounds (and not just the accent, but the content on which he speaks) like he is gay. Every time a "date" or significant other is referred to, it is always gender-free. The guy doesn't have a firm grip on anything sports related like the former co-host did. Not that that matters but every now and then you need to at least know the names of the teams in the final four. Finally this guy is REALLY excited about the new SEX & THE CITY movie. (Stereotyping I know, but let's be real. Stereotypes are based on real patterns people)

I don't have a problem with his being gay, but what I have a problem with is his still being closeted yet openly making allusions to it. I guess I just want him to just come out of the closet. You don't have to be like the guy called Queen or "Miss Sophia" from Dave FM; you can simply be a co-host that happens to be gay. If you don't feel comfortable being gay on the air, then stop alluding to it or ask the station to let you go back to your old role of barely speaking. If you are comfortable but the station won't let you openly be gay, tell the station to GO TO HELL! YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE!

I don't like the coyness with which this guy is going about his business. If you are gay, BE GAY. You don't need to hide it. And I don't mean you need to bust out like Nathan Lane if you do come out. If you personality is low-key, you can still be that way. And if he isn't gay and just a really effeminate hetero male, then the station needs to replace him with a GUY. That is what I believe the station was looking for when they told this producer to go on the air as the female voice couldn't carry the show on her own.

Don't be afraid to be yourself. Well, except that you stink on the air. Maybe pretend you are someone who IS talented...

No comments: