Monday, September 13, 2010

I was wrong about Peachtree Ridge

When I saw the preseason rankings putting Peachtree Ridge in the top ten in Class-AAAAA, I must admit I was a bit surprised. I remember calling the Lions game against Collins Hill last season at the Lions’ Den and came away thinking, “good defense, but not a state title contender.” Coming in to this season, after the Lions lost PR/KR/WR/DB Brad Roby to Ohio State, I was really concerned for the Suwanee school after seeing them in the top ten.

I would like my crow medium-rare please. After watching the No.3 Lions go on the road to Coweta County to face the No.4 Newnan Cougars with a dynamic QB/RB tandem and spot the team that had not lost a regular season home game since 2006 and a regular season game since 2007 14 points only to win by 10, needless to say I was impressed.

The Lions brought it from so many directions with so many different backs in the backfield and the starting T-Back didn’t even play. The quarterback really seemed to know the offense and was the perfect trigger-man for that Spread-I/Wing T formation. Throw in Angelo Whatley making a few nice catches as a Tight End and the offense is hard to stop once it gets going.

The defense meanwhile was on fire after giving up the two early scores. The Botts boys were both making plays despite Tanner being questionable before the game. Even Whatley made a few plays on crucial situations on the defensive side to make South Carolina Gamecock fans happy that he’ll be in Columbia next season. Justin Watts was also a force, taking an interception back 56 yards for a score, his second straight game with a huge pick. And Watts isn’t just a DB. He connected on a 40-yard field goal as well as a 19-yarder to show that coach Bill Ballard is focused on all three aspects of the football game.

Bottom line: Peachtree Ridge isn’t going to allow North Gwinnett to just walk away with the region title. The Lions showed me enough against the No.4 team in the state in ending that winning streak that I fully believe the Lions to be contenders to challenge Lowndes, Camden and North Gwinnett this season for the state title.

No comments: