Friday, September 3, 2010

The Picks are here! The Picks are here!

Yeeee-aaaaah Boyee, the Picks blog has returned to SportsbyFletch has a long winter, interesting spring and hot summer. As we gear up for the second-best weekend of the year (Thanksgiving is CLEARLY No.1), let's pause for a moment to reflect on last night's college football action. South Carolina won, and looked pretty good in the process (hopefully inflating their heads and giving Georgia plenty of film to break down for next week.) while Pittsburgh let me down. You lost to UTAH!?!?! You have Dion Lewis. You suck Wanny! (PS, why is a RANKED Pitt team going out to Utah? What is up with that? you tell THEM to come to YOU!) Finally, USC traveled to Hawaii for its not-bowl game bowl game and dispatched the Warriors Georgia-Style with a 49-36 win (actually, Georgia didn't give up that many points.) I saw an interesting graphic that Matt Barkley, ENTERING the game was already 15th on the USC career completions list. More ammo for me when I say he is the best QB in the country. Oh, Pryor, you say? He had a bunch of TDs last night as Ohio State waxed Marshall, big whoop. It was WeAreMarshall, sans a shirt-less Matty Mac. Get over it. Barkley is better.

Let's move on to our picks. (So far I am 4-1 as I also nailed Miami's win. You'll have to trust me on my picks)

Youngstown State @ #19 Penn State. Hey, Ohio State let Youngstown State go be kilt by someone else this season. Good for Sweatervest. JoePa moves one win closer to 400 and hopefully retirement.

Samford v #20 FSU. First game for Jimbo, wait hasn't he been the coach for the last three years? The REAL story is the first game for Mark Stoops. FSU cruises

Illinois @ Mizzou. No Juice for Zookie and Mizzou has Blaine Gabbert. Advantage: Mizzou. The Tigers are Winnahs

#5 Texas v Rice. I am hoping this game is at Dallas Cowboys stadium. Why in the WORLD are these big teams traveling to smaller schools to play games. YOU ARE FREAKING TEXAS! The Horns hook-em

Purdue @ ND. Brian Kelly is the new coach and Lou Holtz once again thinks the Irish will go undefeated. Well they are playing Purdon't. They'll be 1-0. TJ Jones from Gainesville, GA, and despite the alcohol arrest he will START. Weird, TKing is in a car with 4 other people and an open container and he loses a game. Tai-lor Jones gets popped for underage drinking at a party and he gets to START. PLEASE DON'T TRANSFER TO NOTRE DAME TAVARRES!

UK @ Louisville. the debuts of Joker and Charlie Strong as head coaches. Charlie will eventually rebuild the defense but Joker has been hanging around Lexington for a while, molding the offense. Two words wins this one for the Wildcats: Randall Cobb.

UConn @ Michigan. I love that people from UConn don't like it to be called UConn. I guess how folks from Georgia don't like the UGA. Whatever. Call it UGA if you want to. I'm calling UConn winners this week. After watching Pitt choke away last night's game v Utah, I am now on the UConn for Big East title bandwagon. Go Huskies!

North Texas @ Clemson. After hating Clemson for so many years and calling it Klimpsen, why do I suddenly root for the Tigers? Possibly because I don't live in Tiger country anymore and perhaps it is because of DABO. I am a victim to the Dabo-spell. I love the guy...and I am a Georgia fan. Go Dabo! Tigers rag all over North Texas.

UCLA @ K-State. Remember when Logan Gray wanted to go play at K-State? That still makes he laugh a bit. K-State has a fine running back and it is hard to win in the Little Big Apple...but I'm taking UCLA. They HAVE to step it up, especially after last night.

Richmond @ UVa. For more coverage of Virginia, including how they can go 12-0, visit the Virginia page on http://chuckoliver.net I hear a handsome man writes about UVa over there. I am a fan of London. Daddio is a fan of London (though I think he wishes Tubs had taken the job.) London beats his old team in this one.

San Jose State @ #1 Bama. I see the NCAA read SBF yesterday and decided to rule on Dareus. I apologize to the Tide faithful out there, but honestly, you were going to walk in those two games. San Jose State and Penn State. 2-0. EASY. (Now Cake will throw stuff at me)

Arkansas State @ #22 Auburn. Hey Texas and Pitt, this is how it is supposed to work. You are ranked, the crap teams come to YOU! You think Auburn would ever go TO Arkansas State? Doubt it. It would prolly be an upgrade over the Plains, but they wouldn't go. Take a page out of the SEC book. The crap comes to YOU!

Memphis @ Miss State. Dan Mullen starts gearing up for the Dawgs RIGHT HERE. Wait, what? Georgia is going to easily win that game? Oh well. The other bulldogs win this one.

Northwestern @ Vandy. The winners go 1-0. The losers get jobs at the White House. Congrats Northwestern. You will win the game.

#21 LSU @ #18 UNC. Too bad for Carolina that 17 people will be suspended, likely not all for this game. This game could have been REALLY good if UNC's defense was allowed to play. I think the NCAA got this one wrong. These guys chose to come back to school instead of going pro, but now their draft stock just took a hit with the suspensions. The NCAA punished these guys for exploring the NFL and deciding to come back. (Sort of. The tutor thing is not good either). Now LSU will roll up the Heels and the ACC will take another hit. And the WORST part: I bet a bunch of LSU people won't return to Louisiana for another 5 years. Thank GOODNESS the Saints won the super bowl last year. It got all of those homeless people that came over after Katrina BACK to Nawlins.

Navy @ Maryland. Speaking of the ACC taking a hit.....

#3 Boise State v #10 VaTech. COME ON HOKIES. I cannot believe I wrote that. Something else I wrote was what Beamer's pregame speech should be. Go to http://chuckoliver.net to see what I said. Hokies win to take one fly out of the ointment. PLEASE HOKIES!

SPECIAL PICKS
Lock of the Week
Miami (OH) v #4 Florida. Urban will run the score up to show everyone that John Brantley is a GREAT QB. We don't miss Tebow! And Florida's old Asst AD, who is now Georgia's AD said that he only wants one FBS out-of-conference opponent for Georgia from now on. Great. Crappy games to come and folks poking fun at the Dawgs like they do with Florida. I will go bob for apples in a port-a-potty

UpSet of the week
#24 Oregon State v #6 TCU. I need the Beavers (hey now) to upset TCU to take out another fly in the ointment. Come on Beavers. This one might be legit though as the Rodgers Bros are pretty dadgum good. Throw in my like for Mike Riley and you have a BIG upset in the making. Too bad TCU's qb has Dalton for a last name. JCole will be rooting for him.

Local rooting interest.
SoCar State @ #16 Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets continue to schedule crap for its opening game. Paul Johnson is a genius (just ask him) so SURELY he knows that the Jackets can schedule a tough opening opponent, right? Tech wrecks SoCar State, who doesn't even have a mascot.

UL-L @ #23 Georgia. I don't know what the spread is, but odds are the Dawgs won't cover it. CMR has never done a 70-7 game in his time at Georgia and I don't really want him to show the goods this week with the two toughies coming up the next two Saturdays. I'd love for Aaron Murray to throw for two scores, maybe run one in and for Caleb King to run for two. Maybe give Munzenmaier a score and who knows, the defense or special teams can grab one too. I'd be happy with 52-7. Is that asking for too much?

No comments: