Thursday, January 31, 2008

LinKin Park-Minutes To Midnight..the evolution

I have been a huge Linkin Park fan ever since Hybrid Theory came out. I loved Reanimation. I own the Live from Texas, shoot, I even bought Collision Course, the album with Jay-Z. And when Meteora came out, I thought, "WOW. This is a band that is constantly pushing the envelope and trying new things. Great. Not the same crap over and over." I was excited about the Fort Minor spinoff and Remember the Name, but that album was a tad disappointing. Oh well though, that was just ONE member trying a new project. The band is releasing Minutes to Midnight and What I've Done is a pretty good song, as is Shadow of the Day. I'll give the CD a whirl, especially since the Bride-to-be bought it on iTunes.
Well first reaction is....I don't like this. But that is what I said about Hybrid Theory. That album had the 4 recognizable songs and the rest were enhhhh. But then I just kept listening and it grew on me. Really grew on me. Same with Meteora. I liked that they were taking chances.
But M2M, not really taking chances. When did they turn into System of a Down? Too much yelling on this Album. I know that is one of their things, like in Closer, but that was only a small part of the song.
Given Up: ALL there is is yelling the f-bomb. The beat is pretty cool, but the yelling kills it for me.

Leave Out All the Rest:they slow it down a bit. I like it, but I don't want to like JUST the band's softer, slower songs. But this is a great song. But I don't want to EVER hear it on American Idol, and I fear a Chris Daughtry wannabe may try it.

Bleed it Out: a more upbeat song that I like. I might use this for Extra Innings or High School High 5 on 790, if I can edit out the f-bomb in the opening line. But I like this, maybe under a scoreboard. I also like the unique sound of clapping hands for the beat.

Shadow of the Day: Again, a slower/softer song. i like it. It is hitting the radio stations (or has hit) and I am a fan. Maybe one of the reasons I went ahead and decided to acquire the CD. Actually though if you didn't know it was LP, you may wonder who it was. Again, LP is experimenting with its sound, and I like that.

What I've Done: Classic LP and a great way to kick the CD sales off. This will soon be up there with Crawling and Closer.

Hands Held High: starting to go downhill. If I REALLY wanted to hear your views on politics, I'd tune in to CSPAN and listen to your rants in Congress....wait, you aren't in Congress, but your just pouring on because you hate the country that is making you rich? Hmmmmm, maybe you should join Bobby Fischer in Iceland then.

No More Sorrow: interesting intro and beat to this song. I like the constant drums. This could be a drive REALLY fast song, but again with the yelling. Sometimes, a little goes a LONG WAY. This sounds like a tribute to Metallica

Valentine's Day: Is he whinning about not having a date on Valentine's Day? That is all I am thinking about during this song. Maybe this one will grow on me. It has the potential

In Between: a little repeitive. and it never goes anywhere. I would skip over this song, not because it is bad, but it just doesn't ever DO anything.

In Pieces: This sounds like another song they've done, but I like the semi-ska feel you get in the middle of it

The Little thing Give you Away: a good closing song (except for the (live) What I've Done) it winds you down, kicks you up a tad with a bit of a Celtic feel, then winds you back down again.

Overall, the third time around, it is a LOT less disappointing than it was the first time. Which probably means by the 109th listen, which I am sure I will do, it should be great. This album as of RIGHT NOW has 5 great songs with 4 more Could grow on me songs with only 2 I would CLEARLY fastforward through. I like the softer tones when they slow it down. I like the semi-Metallica tribute, the celtic feel and the ska interlude. These guys keep pushing the envelope which is great. I like that they try and reinvent themselves, the great ones ALWAYS do that: U2 and Dave for example. Kudos to these guys for evolving. They just suck you back in and I will certainly keep listening and will buy the next album.
Current grade: B+............ with A potential

No comments: