Thursday, September 3, 2009

COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS HERE AGAIN!

Oh Happy Dayz! I've already run around outside to try and run some of the excitement out of my body, but it is NO USE. I can only imagine how excited I'll be on Friday night. I am thinking I'll be like the kid from the Disney commercial. "I'm too excited to sleep!"

Tonight not ONLY do I have SoCar going up against NC State, but also Oregon traveling to Boise State. Yep, I'll be up until 1am watching football. SWEET! Wifey will LOVE THAT!

With picks returning tomorrow, I thought today I'd take the chance to put some predictions out there. This way I can say, "See I told you so!" if I was right, and I can delete the blog if I was wrong.

Let's start with a player that should be playing tonight....Kenny Miles on South Carolina. The former Brookwood standout had a great spring and while two true freshmen might be getting the headlines, this redshirt frosh will be a force in the Gamecock backfield. (PS, I LOVE that Clifton Geathers is serving his suspension tonight in a game he wouldn't have played in anyways, so he can return next week vs. UGA. That's OK. Perrish Cox who was arrested last Friday will also play this weekend against the Dawgs. That's fine. Georgia would suspend him, but that's how Gundy [note DP47, NOT Stan Van Gundy....] wants to run his program.)

NC State should be better this season and with Tom O'Brien and Russell Wilson, these guys should win tonight and possibly upset a big team in the ACC. Gotta like Wilson, especially since he's from the Greater Richmond Area. And don't underestimate the return of Toney Baker.

Much to Paul Mac's chagrin, I think Klimpsen will be a surprise team this season. The days of underachieving are OVER with Dabo in charge. Now they'll be pegged lower and they'll meet expectations. But expect that WITH TB's players, Dabo takes them to the Gator Bowl. Heck they might even make the Chick-fil-A bowl....though with a guy like Dabo in charge, they'll definately lose a game they shouldn't while winning several they shouldn't either....wait that sounds like Tommy Bowden never left!

LSU won't be as good as everyone has them to start the season. I think they fall to both Bama and Ole Miss. But let's hope they beat Florida just one week after losing to UGA. (A guy can dream, can't he?) The QB looked good in a loss to Arkie and in a Peach Bowl against a shell-shocked GT team that was too busy looking at its 45-42 rings (I guess they hadn't been there for so long they forgot how to win with class?) But seriously, LSU loses at least 3 this year and is a non-factor in the SEC race. I think Ole Miss has the schedule, but I'll agree with The Body and pick Bama to win the West.

Dan Mullen makes Miss State believe it made the correct choice. Sorry Sly, but you would have been fired from Bama to get Saban and you just aren't as good as a majority of the other coaches in the league. Maybe you should go down to a smaller conference and work your way back to the top conference in college football.

KU is a sleeper in the Big12 North. Mizzou has won the last two B12N titles, and some folks think Nebraska will take the crown this season, but KU should be the pick. Todd Reesing throwing to Briscoe....all day baby! Congrats, they'll lose to Texas 66-14.

I would tell you to go with Iowa in the Big11, but the RB (Jewell something) got hurt and they have to replace Shon Greene and the QB. With that killer schedule, count the Hawkeyes OUT.

I like Jahvid Best and the Cal offense, but the shutdown Corner for Cal might play a bigger role. If he can help bottle up USC and Oregon......maybe the Golden Bears can break USC's streak in the Rose Bowl.

Now we move back to the SEC.....I think Tennasty goes 5-7. I don't like Spurrier's chances at 9 wins. Maybe 7, 8 if everything goes well. Auburn's Gene Chizik scares me. This is TOTALLY a game that Georgia could drop. What if GusGus has that offense clicking and they come into Sanford Stadium ala 1999 and Ben Leard the Dawgs? Scares me even though it shouldn't. If UK goes with Mike Hartline over Randall Cobb at QB, thanks for doing Georgia a favor. You'll lose without Cobb at QB.
Finally, will Florida go undefeated? NO! They'll lose to Texas. But I think UGA goes to the Sugar Bowl to play Boise State or some other crappy team. Maybe even Cincinnati or Rutgers. One can only dream.....

As for Georgia, 10-2 but beating Okie State and GT. Suck that!

No comments: