Thursday, September 10, 2009

Three Questions for Will Leitch...

SportsbyFletch was recently honored to exchange emails with Deadspin.com's founding editor Will Leitch. I was working on an article for next month's Hooters Magazine which goes into detail on the rise of Sports Blogs and how they give an alternative for covering sports. Leitch was gracious enough to answer a few questions to help me out with my article. Check out the magazine next month at Hooters!

SBF: How did you come up with the idea for a full time sports blog (did you friends say, "MAN you are funny, you should share this with the world!"? or were you working for a newspaper and you couldn't get your opinions out the way you wanted to?)

Will Leitch: It was actually neither: I think the reason that Deadspin succeeded was because it wasn't about me at all. I wanted to start a site that talked about sports the way that people actually talked about sports, not the way that media people reported sports to readers. The strength was the audience. I was more a ringleader than a comedian.


SBF: Did you ever think Deadspin would grow to be as big as it is now?

WL: Well, I knew people wanted something like Deadspin, and if someone figured out how to do a site like that the right way, they had a chance of reaching a larger audience. But I didn't know if Deadspin would be fortunate enough to be that site. I was lucky, and caught a break that it turned out to be.


SBF: Do you think that sports blog will last or will something new come along that will make the "blog" obsolete?

WL: I think everything is coming to make everything someday obsolete. Someday future generations will wonder why we spent so much time communicating with "words."

Be sure to check out the article next month in Hooters magazine! For more from Mr. Leitch, check out The Sporting News for his column.

No comments: