Friday, October 9, 2009

Friday Picks 10/09/09

As I watched Survivor last night and saw Shambo completely suck at Bocce Ball I wondered aloud as to who would win Survivor:Georgia, featuring my crew of friends. Imagine if you will Roomie, JCole, Lace, Christie, Wifey, ME, Body, Cake, Poon, Bagadonuts, CT and Seen. Say you were just go straight to a merge, who would get voted out first? I have to think that I'd try and get in an alliance with CT and Lace and we'd try to oust JCole first because he is a physical threat. I'd try and ride CT all the way to the final three before dumping Lace because I think I'd beat CT in a vote. I think I'd lose to Lace because I lose everything else to Lace! I'd have Wifey, Lace, Christie, Cake and Body. I'd also like to think I could guilt Seen with the whole "you were my best-man" idea and I'd try and snag Roomie by singing Santa Fe. I think I'd take it HOME!
I'm not sure how that leads in to the picks of the week, but let's get to it.

BC @ #5 VaTech. I'm sure the Hokies will try and BEAMERBALL it up again this weekend by controlling the ground game, winning the special teams battle and attempting to win the turnover battle. Once again.....the recipe for simply WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES. The Hokies will though because at SOME POINT BC's lack of a QB will catch up to them. AT SOME POINT, RIGHT?

Eastern Illinois @ #14 Penn State. Cake and the Body need to explain this team to me please. EIU? (wait, it IS a Univeristy right? Not just a college?) Commish, please talk through the logic with me. Is this SIMPLY so JoePa can pad his win total and spit in Bowden's face? JoePa spits in Bobby's face after this one.

#17 Auburn @ Arkansas. I heard some one try and refer to this as the Gus Malzahn bowl because Gus Gus used to OC at Arkie, but that was under Houston Nutt. I'd call the Gus Bowl when Auburn plays Ole Miss. Gus v Houston. As for this one, sorry Miss Piggy, but the Tigers score 50 first to win.

Purdue @ Minnesota. this game is on ESPN2, so you know what that means.....The Pam Ward Dance Party is hitting the Twin Cities tonight! Gopher fans will go to the party happy after a win over Purdon't. PS, the Boilermakers are simply happy to be OUT OF INDIANA. WORST STATE IN THE COUNTRY! (At least to drive through) (I don't know, Texas might be up there too)

West Va @ Da Cuse. OK, OK, I'm OFF the Greg Paulus bandwagon now. Take West VA. Taco, Burrito, what ya got comin' out of that speedo? It's trouble. YEAH YEAH, It's Trouble.

Vandy @ Army. The Commadores v the Army. I say take the Seamen in this one. (Wait, that sounded dirty.....)

Michigan State @ Illinois. Boy this game was probably highlighted on the calendar before the season started, but I'm sure Sleazy P is upset that BOTH of these teams now stink. I'd like to think that Sparty's CapitalOne Bowl beatdown was the beginning. On the plus side for Michigan State, Keith Mumphrey pledged to them LIVE on Score Atlanta's Official Visit this past Monday. BREAKING NEWS. That's what we do. Tune in this Tuesday from 7-9pm. (shameless plug). Take the hometeam Illini.

#15 Okie State @ Texas A&M. OK, so I'm not sure if I should feel better or worse over the Dez Bryant ruling. On the positive I can say that the ONLY reason Okie State won 24-10 over Georgia was that they were using an illegal player who scored 2tds; on the negative, nothing will come of it. The NCAA isn't going to give UGA that win. Take TAMU in this one because Karma bits the Cowboys.

UK @ #25 SoCar. Hey South Carolina, way to get ranked AFTER you play Georgia. What, you couldn't be ranked when you lost to Georgia? It would have given Georgia a win over a ranked team, something that Mark Richt apparently cannot do. I'm sure you'll beat Kentucky, why? Because Kentucky isn't that good. They haven't realized Randall Cobb should be at QB and probably will ONLY realize it the week before they play Georgia. GREAT!

Houston @ Miss State. Hey Miss State, thanks for losing last week and letting the conference down! Great job! You'll do it again this week. Take Bobby's Houston Cougars.

#3 Bama @ #20 Ole Miss. A contender for LOCK of the week, but I ruled against it. But Bama is moreorless a lock here too. If I were ranking the teams, Bama would be No.1. I still cannot WAIT to play them in the GaDome for the SEC CG. Maybe we'll bring the black jerseys!

#13 Oregon @ UCLA. So Oregon may allow LeGarrett Blount back this season? That's fine with me. All he did was punch a guy that was mocking him. The only reason he was suspended was because of Around the Horn. Just saying. Oregon travels to the house of the Bruins, where such greats such as Cade McNown and Freddie Mitchell once played. How will the Ducks EVER manage? Wait, UCLA isn't all that good this season. That's how. Oregon wins.

Baylor @ #19 OU. With no Sam Bradford and with Robert Griffith out there, I might be tempted to pick Baylor, but since this game is in Norman and with no RGIII out there, gotta take the Boomer Sooners. I'm sure this is NOT how Bradford saw this season going. I wonder what would have happened if Bradford HAD come out. Would Sanchez have come out? Probably not. And the Jets probably don't trade up for Stafford. Bradford goes No.1 to Detroit and Stafford, I'm spitballing here, goes No.4 to Seattle. Enh, something to think about.

UCOnn @ Pitt. Wait, why am I picking this game? The Big East? Really? uhhhh, Pitt. Next game. Quickly.

Indiana @ UVa. Daddio offered me tickets to this game with seats in the sky box. I turned him down. THAT'S why Al Groh needs to go folks. Because I just turned down a free trip to one of THE MOST BREATHTAKING CITIES IN THE COUNTRY to watch a football game in luxury. But on the brightside, even if UVa drops this one, the Wahoos are still undefeated in ACC play. And the LOSER of this game might have the inside track to Phil Fulmer. (actually I believe Louisville does, but whatevs.) Wa-Hoo-Wa!

Duke @ NCstate. Russell Wilson FINALLY threw an INT last week after 329 (sounds right) passes without one. He will feel better after picking up a conference win, though it's only Dook.

Maryland @ Wake. ACC FOOTBALL, FEEL THE EXCITEMENT! Things I'd rather do than watch this game...Watch the WNBA, Drink a 6-pack of slimfast, take tango lessons, pick blueberries. Take Wake and kill yourself if you aren't an alum of either of these schools but you still check it out on ESPN360.com

#1 Florida @ #4 LSU. I originally thought that Tebow would play but after watching Georgia lose last week, I realize that Tebow won't play because the Gators have the SEC wrapped up. Why risk ANOTHER CONCUSSION for Tebow when you KNOW The Tigers would bring the house to knock him around. Because of this, I'm taking the Tigers. No undefeated season for the Gators. Sorry Tim, but it is for your own good. You will get 7 more concussions in your 3 year NFL career, you want to go in there with just one, otherwise you'll drop from the 5th round to the 6th. Just saying.

Michigan @ #12 Iowa. This is the ABC game of the week? Kirk Herbstreit has to be blushing right now, right? He knows that yet another Big10 game shouldn't be the game of the week. Though I guess we all know it isn't because it is airing at the same time as the Florida/LSU game. I am surprised ESPN is giving Baton Rogue GameDay. You didn't want to head to Iowa City for this one? While I NEED MIchigan to win this one (see Wednesday's Georgia to the Nat'l Title game senario) I think Iowa pulls it out at home.

Extra Credit
Lock of the Week
Colorado @ #2 Texas. The Dan Hawkins experiment has failed. Will they get a new coach by next season when Georgia goes out to Boulder? I am actually afraid for my Grandfather-in-law that Texas will put 60 on the board.

Upset of the week
Wisco @ #9 Ohio State. IS WISCONSIN BACK? No. But I need a Badger win for Georgia to make a run at the BCS (at-large of course). Wait, that isn't going to happen? Oh well. Nevermind. But still take Wisco in a road upset.

Local rooting interest
#22 Georgia Tech @ FSU. Maybe it is the Georgia Homer coming out in me, but does ANYONE ELSE see the Seminoles rallying around its coach and giving him a big home win? After the last two weeks of Mr. Hyde, perhaps Dr. Jekyll comes back and Christian Ponder lays waste to the GT secondary. Seminole fans just need to hope that the young FSU defense plays its assignments. I'm taking FSU in the upset.

Keys to Georgia @ Tennessee. The Refs didn't cost Georgia the game against LSU. Georgia did. Tackle on kickoffs, on 32-yard runs late in the game, and don't throw INTS. In fact, don't throw to the FB on first and 10. Play Wayshaun Ealey and continue to get after the QB. 6 sacks last week. NICE. This could be the continuation of a BAD month for Lane Kiffin after the loss to Auburn. I will probably feel good after this one, around say 3:45, but probably not. A win at Tennessee wouldn't make me forget LSU and Okie State. ONLY A WIN OVER FLORIDA WILL, Bookended with a win over GT. Restore order and make it feel like 1980 all over. You know, before i was born.

Enjoy a great day of football Saturday and tune to gpb.org/football tonight as Sandy Creek host McIntosh.

1 comment:

jcole said...

You would kick me off the island? Thanks a lot, and a hearty 45-42, suck it to you.