Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Georgia High School football review & Preview 10/20/09

A big mouth was closed (well not really) last Friday when Stephenson shut out ML King 20-0 on ESPNU. Mack Brown, who had guaranteed a victory for ML King was held out of the endzone and while he got his 100 yards, it didn't matter as he was outdone by Stephenson's Raymond Sanders, who scored twice for the Jags. He now has over 800 yards on the season and 14 TDs and he is probably giving me the middle finger as I keep calling for UK to go after Rajaan Bennett while Sanders is already committed to the Wildcats. I would think that UK has to be happy with Sanders at this point. As far as Brown goes, he is going to be a Gator, but I just don't think that he will be the running back that Urban STILL has not found in Gainesville.

Speaking of disappointing running backs, I got a chance to watch Charles Perkins of Collins Hill as the Eagles lost to Peachtree Ridge last Friday. (EXCELLENT facilities by the way at The Ridge aka The Lions Den). Perkins was never able to get off against the Lions defense and I got the feeling that he REALLY IS everything to this team and despite one touchdown, great defenses will be able to stack the box and take him out, like was done last Friday. PTR had a WAY better team with better options and I came away impressed with Paul Lombardo. The QB never made a mistake that I saw and set up his RBs with great reads EVERY TIME. (PS, could some one tell Brad Roby that in order to return a punt, he needs to catch it? He let 5 of the 6 bounce away from him. On the 6th he returned it 59 yards to the 2-yard line. I wanted to see the ball in his hands more!) Back to Perkins though, he broke a tackle from Roby to score CHHS's only TD but come Round2 of the playoffs a great Defense will bottle him up. While CPJ is getting a good back, I am not certain I can say that Perkins displays the patience of Rajion Neal. I might need to redo the rankings....

And if I DO redo the rankings, Storm Johnson might fall out. Seriously Storm, you left Buford for Loganville because your parents ;) moved (wink!) and Loganville just so happened to run the ball more and you've totally fallen off of the recruiting map. Michigan State and Tennessee? Please. Storm, dude, you might have just blown that one...

How about Hutson Mason. I've interviewed this kid on The Official Visit and I get to call his game this Friday when Lassiter plays Walton....and he goes out and gives GPB.org/football the BEST LEAD-IN EVER with a 32-44 night, 545 passing yards and 6 TDs. for the season, he is at 2377, on 158-209 (that's 76%) and has thrown 26 TDs to just 3 INTs. WOW. On Friday he threw to Griffin Roelle 9 times for 145 and 2 scores and ten different receivers caught a pass. I cannot wait. Walton lost its first game of the year, but Lassiter is 7-0. VERY EXCITING!

Tai-lor Jones of Gainesville decided to switch up his commitment and this time pledge to Notre Dame after going up to South Bend over the weekend for the USC game. He says he still plans to go to Stanford and I wouldn't be surprised to see him switch back. Scott Janovitz of Score Atlanta made a great point on our show The Official Visit last Tuesday that the NCAA might want to consider. Once you've "committed" you CANNOT take another official visit to another school. If you want to, you must first de-commit. I like that idea. It lets the coaches know if a kid is serious or not and if he IS committed you know he isn't still going to tour other places on their dime. Great Idea Scott. Sorry though Tai-lor, I'm not buying your word until I see you sign on the dotted line. That's what happens when you back out of a commitment.

In other Class AAAAA news, Newnan dispatched Westlake 20-0 to moreorless clinch that region and Grayson will likely go 10-0 and take home yet another region title. Good to see those races decided. McEachern and Roswell both put 50 on the board so I think it is safe to say both of those schools are fo' real this season. McEachern I knew, Roswell, nice to see them back.

In AAAA, Apalachee edged out Storm Johnson's Loganville to remain undefeated. I like to feel like Paul Mac and I brought Apalachee into Atlanta's radar with HSH5, but I might be giving myself too much credit.

SW-D continued to prove me right when I say they are the best team in Class AAAA. 35-7 over Lithonia. Boo-ya-ka-ka! Griffin, I'll let you stay No.1 with a 44-0 win, but SW-D is gonna get cha sucka!

In Class AAA, North Hall is 5-2, but may be the best 5-2 team in ALL of GA HS Football. Peach Co is also making me sweat my decision of Gainesville, but I'm NOT going to decommit from the Red Elephants. I stick with my original choice. See how it is done Tai-lor?

Finally, in class AA, Calhoun is rolling as is Jefferson. I really don't think Buford takes the title this season. I think the Yellow Jackets walk away with it. Lovett plays GAC this weekend......should be an easy one for the Lions.

Let's move on to the preview portion of our show....
in Class AA, Brooks Co takes on Fitzgerald, that's No.10 v No.2. I'll take Fitzgerald, but hey, it's going to be a better game than Blessed Trinity v Buford. I saw BT earlier this season and Buford, though down, should manhandle them.

In AAA, all of the top ten should win, so let's just skip to AAAA. Marist travels to SW-D and it will be time for the Panthers to back up my smack talk about how they should be No.1. No pressure guys, but don't mess this up. TJ, Ken, it is ALL ON YOU GUYS. No pressure though. I think 31-7 would be a fine score.
No.8 Hiram also faces Hillgrove, after Synjyn Days and Co. lost in OT last week. I think the Hawks respond with a win.
In AAAAA Warner Robins travels to Colquitt to face Rush Propst and his quickly-improving squad and Pebblebrook hosts Newnan. Enh, Newnan wins but I say Rush pulls off the upset because I saw how he inspired his teams at Hoover. He yelled at them and cussed at them and then lied to them about how evil the opponent is. It will WORK against Warner Robins. (Just kidding. Love ya Coach!)

This Friday, tune to GPB.org/football for Lassiter at Walton. Charles Ward and I will have the call. Maybe Hutson Mason goes for 600 yards. We shall see! And be sure to pick up Score Atlanta's Gwinnett Prep edition as I now cover the Gwinnett High School Beat. Every Friday at Quik Trip, Kroger or Blockbuster!

No comments: