Friday, November 12, 2010

Because there is nothing to lose....PICKS!

I must admit, I did away with the picks this year because I was superstitious, and every time I picked Georgia, they would lose. Then when I KNEW Georgia would lose, I just cannot pick against the Dawgs. (And I am incredibly busy these days with all of my writing, FYI. But HEY, I know you love the Brand that is ME, so I must soldier on)

Well I realized that I IN NO WAY affect Georgia's performance on the field (if I did, they'd never lose when I hear Pigs On Surfboards!), so I thought, "hey let's bring the picks back!"

So here we are. OH, I must say as well, be sure to tune in tonight to www.gpb.org/sports and link to the game of the week Woodstock @ Collins Hill in the first round of the playoffs. Coverage starts at 7pm

With no further ado.....

4 Boise State @ Idaho (Tonight). Believe it or not, THIS is the biggest road game on Boise State's schedule. Not a trip to Auburn. Not a trip to Southern Cal. Not a venture to Stanford. Not a visit to Columbus. Not a visit to Norman. A trip to Idaho. WOW. I don't know if the Broncos can handle a trip to Idaho. Maybe they'll be distracted by the slutty cheerleading unis .... doubt it. BSU wins.

REAL GAMES (unless the Big11 is involved. Garrrrgarrrrgarrr)
Indiana @ #7 Wisco. Oh, the Badgers still think they can win a spot into the BCS title game? That is so cute. They'll need TCU AND BSU AND OREGON AND AUBURN AND LSU to all lose at least once more....Won't happen. They'll have to settle for a win over the Hoosiers.

No.13 Iowa @ Northwestern. My PXP partner Bob Houghton is a Mildkitten alum, but he is the only person in the world that thinks NU can beat Iowa. I will say that Big11 Commish Paul Mac dropped Northwestern's coach's name Pat Fitzgerald as perhaps the next coach of Penn State (he is a "student" there now at PSU) so I will go with his insider knowledge here. Could an upset win over Iowa get him the job? Perhaps. I'll stick with Iowa.

South Florida @ Louisville. Davey Pollack is calling this game for ESPNU. Hey Pollack, you were a 3X All-American at Georgia. Could you please tell them to stop calling you Davey? I would say beat them up if they do it again, but they might fight dirty and turtle your C4. Nevermind. South Florida wins on the road.

BC @ Duke. I have decided that, since I love my country, I will be rooting for Duke this season because Coach K is Team USA basketball's head coach. Actually, does that make me UN-American to root FOR Duke basketball? That Kyle Singler is UGLY. And Coach K is a whiner. Hmmmm this could be difficult. I am CERTAINLY picking against Duke in this game because they beat UVa last week. BC wins! Take that Duke. PS Krzyzewski. I got it RIGHT!

Cincy @ West Va. Amazing how the winner of the Big East gets a BCS bid. If ONLY Georgia had beaten West Va in that Sugar Bowl, then maybe the conference would have gone away. Now though, one of these two COULD be in an $11M bowl game......If I have to...West Va.

Minnesota @ Illinois. Zook against an interim coach. Now if Zook gets outcoached by this temporary coach, do you think he will be replaced by this guy? Actually, Zookie may take his team to a bowl game. If so, Get ready Illini fans: ANOTHER YEAR OF THE ZOOKER! This game helps the bowl game eligibility!

Michigan @ Purdue. Hopefully Michigan doesn't take a bus to West Lafayette. Otherwise they might kill themselves due to boredom from having to drive through Indiana. If Mighigan flies in, Hugh Jackmans win.

Ole Miss @ Tennessee. Hey Vols, you guys are Terrible. And I am rooting for the Rebel Black Bears to beat the Germans here. Masoli could probably beat the Vols with only 7 other guys with him on offense. The Tennessee Germans are not that good. Rebs over Krauts.

#24 K-State @ #17 Mizzou. Ahhhh Big 12 North Action. It doesn't get ANY better than that! Wait, nevermind. It totally does. Just go to a Golden Corral. That is better than this Big 12 North matchup. Too bad as an SEC East fan, I must admit that the B12N is better than SECE this year. Cripes. Mizzou at home is winner-winner-chicken-dinner.

Wake at NC State. It is SOOOO tough to go on the road in the ACC (snicker...) so THAT is why I am going with The Wolfpack. Well, that and Russell Wilson. PS, Tom O'Brien, are you telling me that when Wilson is fielding grounders next year in Colorado's minor league, you have a better QB on your roster than Taylor Heinicke of Collins Hill or Kent Rollins of South Gwinnett? Come on. And Wake Forest, I'm looking at you too! Next year when these two play, it should be Rollins v Heinicke under center.

#14 Utah @ Notre Dame. So when Joe Theismann came on 680 The Fan's Rude Awakening yesterday, instead of discussing the Falcons game on NFLN that Theismann was calling that night, Leo Mazzone was asking him about Notre Dame. WHY LEO? Notre Dame is going to lose and HE IS THERE TO DISCUSS THE NFL! Leo should get the boot from the morning show and bring on Home Team! Let Leo stick to the Braves coverage, which he can barely even do.

Penn State @ 9 Ohio State. Now that JoePa has win #400, will he go away now? I actually don't think he should get credit for the past 8 seasons worth of wins since I don't think he's been doing anything but just pooping in his depends. I would do my JoePa voice, but you cannot hear that. Too bad. Sweatervest wins.

Texas Tech @ #16 Oklahoma. Hey Sooners, way to play sucky enough that I cannot wear my favorite hat on my dogwalks or to the gym. If it was a Georgia hat, I'd wear it anyways as I am an alum, but my OU hat I can ONLY wear if they are good. And they AREN'T right now. But don't think for one SECOND I won't be rocking my TT huggie for this game. OU wins, but I will be rooting for Tubs.

Maryland @ UVa. Perhaps UVa's losing to Duke last week wasn't so bad. Perhaps it gave Maryland the idea that the Wahoos will just roll over. Enhhhh I doubt it. Maryland knows that it isn't very good and will take Virginia seriously. The Wahoos get the running game going and if so, I'm taking Virginia. Hopefully, London doesn't fall to the turf again after the win and fail to shake Ralphie hand like he nearly did with Shannon. (PS, which Ralphie is bigger: Maryland's coach or Colorado's buffalo?)

Louisiana-Monroe @ #5 LSU. I was about to mock LSU for playing these guys this late in the year, but that's right, I was in Sanford Stadium last week when Georgia played Idaho State....Boise State's SECOND toughest game this year!

Kansas @ #8 Nebraska. NU could very well win two straight conference titles this year and next and in TWO DIFFERENT CONFERENCES. That would be AWESOME. Huskers shuck the Jayhawks.

UTEP @ #15 Arkie. Thanks Mallet for beating SoCar last week. Too bad you beat Georgia earlier this year, making that win yesterdy mean NOTHING for the Dawgs. Actually, Georgia's loss to Florida made last week's Arkie win meaningless for Georgia. CRAP! Mallet wins again!

#25 TAMU @ Baylor. Did I see everything correctly last week: Baylor was RANKED? Then they promptly wet the bed. OK. Order is restored. But with the football team beating Texas and getting a ranking with the success of the BBall squad, is this the best Calendar year EVER for Baylor? I say yes. That comes to an end with a TAMU win.

No.23 SoCar @ #22 Florida. I think I saw where the Lamecocks have NEVER beaten the Gators in the swamp. Hmmmm. I cannot see SoCar rising up and winning this one. YET ANOTHER November swoon for the Gamecocks. Too bad Georgia always plays them in week two before they break down. Hey Greg Mac, do something about that!

#1 Oregon @ Cal. Did I hear someone say that Oregon might lose to Cal this week? Seriously? A Jeff Tedford coached team? He had Aaron Rogers and DeSean Jackson and never beat USC! Quack Quack

#6 Stanford @ Arizona State. I still giggle when I think about the Sun Devils fans giving the Shocker sign as encouragement to the team. Stanford wins. easily.

USC @ 18 Arizona. I watched the Wildcats get blown out by Stanford the other day. Paper Wildcats they are at No.18. But I am TOTALLY rooting for them to smack Lane Kiffin down. You've got to think that in Tucson, Stoops can get it done. You'd think, right? Right?....

Clemson @ FSU. No Chris Ponder. But Dabo is coaching and while I LOVE Dabo, I am not sold on his ability to coach a BCS school. I'll have to go with FSU to win its second game against Klimpsen in the last six years.

Specialties of the house:
Lock of the week
#21 Miss State @ #12 Alabama. The Tide lost last week. Miss State is dealing with the Cam Newton situation. And oh yeah, the Tide lost last week. You think Saban is losing two in a row? Tide Rooooooooooooooooooooooolllllls.

Upset of the week
#20 VaTech @ UNC. Virginia Tech had an extra few days after beating GT at home last Thursday, but I kind of get the feeling that the Hokies may be a little full of themselves. UNC's QB TJ Yates is FINALLY starting to put everything together and with the UNC suspension mess over with, perhaps the remaining Heels rally up and show a glimpse of what they could have been with a victory over the Hokies.

Local flavor
Miami @ Georgia Tech. No Nesbitt but Washington played well against the Hokies. Now there is tape out there on him though. Miami has a bunch of playmakers that run to the ball. Too bad for Miami that Randy Shannon is still coaching them. If he loses this one, watch out for Tubs making a move to South Beach. Tough call here. I'm going with Miami. I like their backup QB better than GT's.

FINALLY, THE GEORGIA BULLDOGS HEAD TO AUBURN TO FACE THE TIGERS.
How in the world is Georgia going to go TO Auburn, face the No.2 team in the country with the Heisman favorite (before the money crap started) and walk out with a win? Auburn is undefeated and Georgia has lost 4 conference games! How will Georgia even THINK about smelling a victory? Aaron Murray is a freshman for Pete's sake! He didn't play well in a close loss to Florida (well he did well in the second half). He lost to Colorado!

Wait, this is starting to sound like 2006 when a Georgia freshman QB lost a close game to Florida then traveled to Auburn to face a top five team. Hmmmmmm. I wonder what happened that year? Oh, the Dawgs won the first of four straight against the Tigers? Could that happen again?

Georgia has players, just like Auburn, let's not kid ourselves. AJ Green will be the best player on the field (sorry Newton, but it is a fact). And the Georgia offensive line may not run-block very well, but they do pass-block pretty well. Georgia has some pieces (READ; Houston, Justin) to make Newton have to throw the ball, and Branden Smith is back (which means Vance Cuff and Sanders Commings aren't on the field at the same time! Victory for Georgia there) along-side Boykin.

I'm not predicting a Georgia win, but let's not think that the Tigers are going to toss Georgia aside like a stolen laptop through a dorm windown.

No comments: