Friday, November 12, 2010

Paul Mac cannot speak right now

Our Falcons correspondent Paul Mac was IN the Georgia Dome last night, watching the Falcons, his baby boy, all grows up. (Swingers reference)

Here he talks about the experience

I'm starting to build a pretty spectacular resume of great sporting events that I've been in the arena for. The Phil Mickleson win his first at the Masters was pretty spectacular. The one I spoke of yesterday the 2003 game vs Carolina when Vick came back and then this one last night which is still resonating in my brain. 2003 I was celebrating with my Dad and Andrew Jones in better seats so maybe that's as good as it gets. Last night, I'm hugging complete strangers and some folks I just met. I'm befriending Ravens fans on Marta on the way home. Clearly, the Falcons earned respect last night. But, maybe when it's said and done, we look back and say this is the moment Matt Ryan took the bull by the horns on NATIONAL television and proclaimed to the world. I AM THE FRANCHISE QB of THE ATLANTA FALCONS. It's going to take time but I kind of felt it before the game that, this is going to be special, and we are in the building for it. This is the kind of ending upon which legends are created. THAT is why Matt Ryan is special. Right there. No more Yeah BUTS...

I'm completely relaxed with the MV7 holdovers. We no longer need those people to fill the building. As professional as this team is even the corporate stiffs in the club level will start showing up to see this kid. Hey, Delta Flies north so you can go see Mike Vick in Philly if you want. I'm pretty certain I bought that MV7 jersey on the wings of that 2003 game. I mean, when you have that kind of experience with your Dad and it's that great, you overlook stuff and you just start looking at the amazing things the guy can do. I was a fan, and he broke our hearts. Ok, he's moved on, we've moved on. I bet on the come with Matt Ryan and I'm in High Cotton right now brother. He's not super flashy, but he's a pro's pro. The "he can make all the throws" comment from scouts is never more evident than the sub millimeter accuracy on the critical 3rd down out to Michael Jenkins who made the #1 draft pick catch of his life last night. Matt Ryan... is OUR QB. Any Vick holdovers... well, hey Delta Fly's North.

Back to the game. Roddy has that drop on 4th. He goes right back to the well. 70 catches for Roddy White this year. They know where he's going and they can't stop it. THAT'S the difference between average QB's and Elite QB's. Roddy has a bum knee huh? 12 for 138 and 2 scores, whine about the refs all you want Ed Reed. You got lit up by Matty Ice last night!

So far today, I'm looking at national websites talking about my team in my little town that no one likes on the front page. The flaws of this team are character. Ok, they are not quite able to put a 4 quarter game together yet on defense.... that's coming and Joe Flacco and crew are pretty freaking good. I completely expected a comeback, they were out of sorts all game early. I don't remember seeing Boldin do much at all in the first 3 quarters, and he under threw one that Grimey intercepted. This is an infinitely likeable team man. There's no gimmick. This is not the "dirty bird" or "back in black" These guys, practice hard, work their tails off and then go whip tails on Sunday. I almost don't know how to feel because we've NEVER had this before!

Bottom line: The best ending this one ever could have had. I don't need to talk Super Bowl but I absolutely believe for the first time maybe ever that this team that we have in this town...CAN ABSOLUTELY WIN A SUPER BOWL! The cart is not before the horse here obviously there is a lot of football to be played, but these guys aren't substandard anymore. They are bigger than the sum of their parts (Thank you Owner, GM, Coaching Staff, MATT RYAN etc.) This game play was brilliant, they knew the run game was taken away, they gave it to Ryan and he obliterated the test. People nationally are still trying to talk about Daunte Robinson as the difference on this defense....hogwash, It's Grimes who is our best CB and people go right at him. Said in section 340 last night after a huge JA 55 sack.....That's on the BLINDSIDE Make a MOVIE ABOUT THAT!!!

I can't tell you how happy I am today!

PS, Georgia is winning Saturday! They are focused, they are driven and they can do it. I think they play their best game all year on Saturday.

No comments: