Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A rose and a gun means Season 4

Last night was the season 3 finale of PRISONBREAK. Now I consider myself a huge PB fan, as I have watched all the episodes as they air, plus I own the first two seasons on DVD and once got bored and watched seasons 1 and 2 all in a row over a holiday weekend.
That said, I think this writers' strike was the worst thing to happen to this show. I think season 1 was great as they got out, and though most people said, "where are you going to go now?" I was excited for season 2 because they would CLEARLY be on the run. But I think the producers maybe thought season 2 would be it, but when it was clear the show would get picked up for season 3, I think the writers sort of wrote themselves into a corner.
But then season 3 came around and it started off well enough, with Michael AGAIN in jail looking to break out. The Company angle though sort of rubbed me the wrong way in #3. Where was the bald dude from Season 2? This Susan B Anthony/Gretchen girl, what was her story? I guess we will get to see more of that in Season 4.

That is my problem though. I feel that maybe THIS should have been it. I have ALWAYS said, leave the folks wanting more, opposed to having it cancelled in the middle of another story. And the writers' strike I think shortened the story and now, the writers of the show will be forced to come up with a FULL 24 episodes instead of being able to wrap up the series with 8 additional episodes that this season would have afforded, if the writers' union had not been so STUPID. I think 8 or 9 more episodes would have been perfect to wrap this up, but I just hope the writers can spin their gold for 24 more installments.

Season 1 was so good, and I did love season 2. Even season 3 had some intrigue, but the strike screwed it up and may have screwed up the entire rest of the show. I certainly hope this show gets picked up for season 4 and we get a resolution, but I hope Fox doesn't cancel it midway through for lack of ratings for reruns of The Loop and we never find out what would have happened. OR, if the writers/producers say "11 episodes, that what we need, that's what you'll get!" and keep the story really tight and not stretched out. That would be fantastic. But maybe the writers will surprise me with a whole new set of twists and whatnot. Sucre is in jail with Bellick and T-Bag, maybe they get out and someone finally kills T-Bag. Whistler and Gretchen and Mahone will be on the run, so we get to see Michael being the hunter, rather than the hunted, and he doesn't seem to mind going back to jail. This should be fun, rooting for the badguy.

So I am putting my support behind the writing team, hoping they will surprise me and keep me entertained for the full season. And this should be it, too. No more after season 4. Please. Like I said, I'd rather want more than wish it dead........see The OC:Season 4. Unless Prisonbreak brings in Autumn Reeser aka TAYLOR TOWNSEND to save the Prisonbreak just like she saved The OC that last year.
That would be cool.

No comments: