Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Top 100+ TV Cartoon Characters of ALL TIME

I have thought about this long and hard, (sad but true) and I tried to come up with the 100 greatest cartoon characters of all time. Now this is only my opinion and I decided to enforce several rules in order to make this work. First of all, the characters HAD to be from television, so therefore you will not see Beast from Beauty & the Beast on here or the crab from The Little Mermaid or even Dopey from the Seven Dwarf crew. (And anyways, all of those little side characters in Disney movies are all the same anyways. The Crab was the candlestick from B&tB, was the Skunk from Bambi, was the mouse from Cinderella, etc.) Also, since neither the Bridge-to-be nor I could recall an ACTUAL tv series featuring Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse or Goofy, those guys aren’t in the list. Sorry Disney fans. Though it should be noted that Donald Duck DOES make an appearance, based largely on his cameos on Duck Tails, but again, they were Cameos, so he isn’t very high on the list. Adult cartoons (ie the Simpsons, Family Guy will also not be featured on the list, because, well COME ON. This is a childhood-revisited thing, and if you were 6 and watching the Simpsons, then well, you grew up too fast and most of the humor went over your head.) My final rule is that if a character is always with another and they depend on each other, they will be grouped together but counted as one (For example the Coyote and the Road Runner. But in some cases like Rocky and Bullwinkle, they can stand alone and will be counted separately.)
I will present this list the way VH1 does their countdowns 100-81, 80-61, 60-41, 40-21, and 20-1. I will post the next segment every other day, that way you can digest and think about the list, even offer opinions if you'd like. And I even threw 5 extras in. You are welcome!

Now, with no further ado. . . . . . .

105 Kim Possible-points deducted because it’s Hillary Duff and this was after my time. This cartoon though is really to blame for both Hillary’s and Hayley’s careers. Hayley may be RIGHT up there on unless siblings that mooche off their much more famous sibling’s popularity. Credit to ESPN’s The Sports Guy’s Frank Stallone Theory.

104 Johnny Bravo I am not sure if this cartoon actually entertains children or if it was just a joke that a bunch of artists came up with one night when they were stoned. “Dude, you are ‘Johnny Freaking Bravo’ right now. Ohhhh you brought baked Cheetos!”

103 Power Puff Girls Our Countdown is ON like the break of DAWN baby! I can’t really pull off the Baby, can I? Oh well. These Power Puff girls gave hope to both young girls and those weirdo chicks in colleges (as well as Asian chicks) that wanted to wear cartoon thongs, why? Because they are messed up. But the Power Puff Girls picked up the Girl Power! slack when the Spice Girls broke up the first time. PS, speaking of Spice Girls….is their reunion tour over with yet? Can I still buy their CD? I need to know these things….

102 David the Gnome OK, so this is a favor to the Bride-to-be since she really liked this show back in the day. Personally, I was freaked out by these little people. I thought at some point they might come out of the TV and start crawling on me like at the end of Mulholland Drive. PS, that movie, I was told was supposed to be a show on HBO or Shotime, but it was cancelled after three episodes were shot, so they just combined them into a REALLY messed up movie….with a cool lezbinen scene. Good work David Lynch. But back to David the Gnome. He rode on a Fox to travel on land. He rode a swan to get across water and to go long distances. And at NO point did the fox or swan think, “hmmm I have a treat on my back. Maybe I should take advantage?” Did the gnomes have a spell over them?”

101 Wally the Gator He gets docked points because he is a Gator, and I am a Dawg, but other than the Laff-a-lympics, I don’t really remember this guy. I vaguely remember his waterskiing on some dolphins, but I could be wrong.

100 Klondike Kat. This ripoff of Dudley Do-Right never sat well with me. I hated the fact that the Underdog people so openly ripped off the R&B folks, but at least Klondike Kat was obviously inferior so people NEVER openly rooted for him. But I believe he was the second best thing on the Underdog show. Much better than that stupid Penguin. That tells you how poor that show was, OTHER than Underdog.

99 Scooby Dum. This was Scooby’s slow-witted cousin or something? Most of the time he accidentally helped catch the bad guy (which is all Scooby ever did either, but hey, at least Scooby Doo was funny. I am not amused by making fun of stupid animals. Those America’s Funniest Animal shows that come on WGN…. I don’t laugh. Because if those animals were at animals shelters, they would be put down. And that’s not funny. Visit PAWS Atlanta, they are a no-kill shelter, even if the dog is stupid.)

98 Nanny’s Legs I think we all know I am a leg man and this character is JUST legs with stockings on. How much sexier can you get? And she was a NANNY! At the time I thought she was like my grandmother, but if I go back now and rethink it all, MAYBE she was a sexy young lady that just liked animals and was looking out for these Muppet Babies to save up money for grad school. Could be. I like to think that she was a little sex pot. Yeah, I have too much time on my hands…..

97 Quick Draw McGraw-This Cowboy Horse was a staple on the Laff-a-lympics. He was a HORSE, that was a COWBOY. How cool is that? Plus he had a cool accent.

96 Snaggletooth- this pinkish cat beats out the Pink Panther because of his “exit, stage left,” catchphrase. This guy was cool AND he actually had a snaggletooth, hence the name. A cool customer without trying, and he could talk. Therefore HE gets my vote over the Pink Panther that just moved to music. Though that was a cool song.

95 Grape Ape He OWNED the Laff-a-lympics and he had a little hat.

94 Bunsen and Beaker I loved it when these two visited the rest of the Muppet Babies. Bunsen didn’t have any eyes and Beaker was such a lovable wuss, it was great. Me-me-mememe-me and that hair for Beaker. And Bunsen Honeydew, you can’t go wrong with a name like that. These two were great part-times. Actually it was better that they were part-time as I might have gotten a little tired of them, but instead they had the right amount. And I liked that they always wore their PJs. The normal crew had outfits, but these guys ONLY had PJs.

93 Mumbley-laff-a-lympics Rscally-Rottens captain also appeared in the New Tom and Jerry Adventures. I am not certain why he was thrown into the “villains” category of the Laff-a-lympics, as he never seemed to be all that bad a guy on the New T & J show. But he gets credit for leading his team to 2 wins and 1 tie in the L-A-L contest, even if kids NEVER wanted bad guys to win. (This keeps the kids watching though, if sometimes they don’t get what they want. That is what the WWF/WWE does. Sometimes the face loses to the heel so folks will tune back in to see the heel get his comeuppance! Plus you can’t always give kids what they want. What is that teaching them? That’s why I support dodgeball in schools. Teach the kids that in life there WILL be losers)

92 Marvin the Martian- I had a tough time deciding whether or not to include this guy, but he won out over that stupid frog on the WB as well as the TMNT. I thought their real action movies were WAY better than the cartoon tv show, and after seeing the movies, you can’t go back to silly cartoons. So Marvin won and got on the list. His high pitched voice made me think that, if there really were aliens out there, maybe they wouldn’t be so bad. Then I saw Cloverfield. And I was scared all over again.

91 Skeeter & Scooter The twins that I don’t remember as grown up Muppets, but that’s OK. Skeeter and Scooter were a computer nerd and Sports freak, the yin and yang. Pretty interesting commentary the writers came up with on society. I also liked it when they took their glasses off, they HAD NO EYES!

90 Chief Quimby our first Inspector Gadget Character. You probably thought Penny might make the list? NOPE. That loser! Uncle Gadget should have sent her back to her mother. She was ALWAYS bringing him down. I know she saved him a bunch, but I choose to give Brain that credit. BACK TO QUIMBY. He was the one tracking Dr. Claw and the M.A.D. team and he always got blown up, but showed up for work the next day. You’ve gotta respect that commitment to stamping out evil.

89 Rolfe a piano-playing dog. I never knew how he learned to play the piano, maybe that SEXY Nanny taught him. But he could tickle a mean ivory. And a pretty good singing voice for a dog, defying the stereotype. What does his name mean though. Could never figure that one out.

88 Judy Jetson- This chick, George’s daughter NEVER got enough air time. She was pretty hot, had an interesting hairdo. I think she could have had a FEW episodes based on her, but NOOOOOOO. The writers chose to overlook her, like they did Taylor Townsend in season 3 of The OC. Maybe if they had killed off Jane and been stuck with Judy as the main lady (like The OC did with Marissa, after they spayed Summer Roberts with that stupid Green storyline) the show would have REALLY taken off, before they cancelled it. I am still upset about the shortening of Taylor Townsend. But I will move on.

87 Bam Bam This Rubble was super strong and was liked so much, he was given a spinoff with Peebles. I think BamBam was cooler than Peebles, but I rank him one notch below her because his name wasn’t Flintstone.

86 Peebles Peebles Flintstone…did Fred and Wilma WANT her to grow up and work at the Rock Hard Strip Club? Come on! Peebles? Why not just nickname her Crystal Meth!

85 Donald Duck-in cameo form Again, he makes the list ONLY because of his cameos, and to be honest, he was never the squeaking, spitting, Duck he was in all of the movies in the show. He was strictly there for Huey Dewey and Louey. Which I can respect. He didn’t want to steal the spot light…what am I talking about? He was a freaking cartoon.

84 Roger Klotz The Doug Funny Villain that was the opposite of Doug in how he dressed (jeans and a black leather jacket opposed to khaki shorts and a sweater vest) his animal (mean cat v charming dog) and his hair (wavy and unkempt v washed and combed). This guy terrorized Doug’s life in a non-threatening way, and we even got to see a softer side of him when he was scared to go from Middle to High School, also when his cat disappeared. Roger came from the wrong side of Bluffington, so we shouldn’t fault him for that. His tough front was just a defense mechanism for the problems he was facing. Sometimes kids express themselves in different ways, Roger just tried to be a bully.

83 The Rugrats Here is one where I had to group them together because even Tommy was pretty cool and Chuckie was an interesting character, the same with the Phil and Lil (two of the ugliest babies EVER!) I just don’t think that separately they would be worthy of top 100 inclusion. I didn’t like how the parents let them have a screw driver in Tommy’s diaper. DID they NEVER notice it when they changed him? And how many times will you discover them outside before you realize, Hmmm, how do they keep opening the gate AND the door? As for Angelica, I knew kids like her so I hated her even more, but that was the point I think. For us to hate her. She wasn’t that great of a villain on her own, the producers were banking on us recalling someone like her in our lives. I guess you have to give them credit for making us think, but I only thought of that a few minutes ago, not 15 years ago when I was watching the show. But I also want to point out that I didn’t like the lack of parenting going on there. They would just drop the kids off and then go into another room and it would be seemingly ages before they would return to check on the kids. And the kids knew this too, that’s why they would go off and have adventures. PS, were they supposed to have big imaginations like the Muppet Babies, or were they just supposed to only imagine SOMETIMES?

82-Elroy Jetson The son of George got WAY much more attention than Judy, but what are you going to do. The cartoon came out, probably in China where boys are valued moreso than girls, so of course Elroy got more play. But can we at least acknowledge that his name was Leroy, just spelled more spacey-like? Thanks I don’t think George liked Elroy as much as he liked Rast-ro though. The fact that Astro could talk I think put Elroy in #2 status with Judy dropping to #3. If I knew Elroy at school, I would give him an atomic wedgie because of the way he dressed. Actually that isn’t true. I am not a bully. I’m a lover, not a fighter.

81 Huckelberry Hound- a blue dog with a southern drawl that seemed at peace with everyone. I think it was an act though. I believe he was HIGHLY intelligent, he just used his slow nature to his advantage so people would underestimate him, and he would then use their lowered expectations to take control and by the time they realized the jig…it was UP!
coming Thursday....80-61

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not familiar with the laff-a-lympics. I also didn't know there was a "quick draw mcgraw" character....that cracked me up.

I do feel like you're selling bunson and beaker a little short...but I'll withhold serious criticism till I've seen the entire list ;)