Friday, February 22, 2008

With the third pick in the NFL draft, the Atlanta Falcons select

Yep. The Falcons secured the No. 3 overall pick by virtue of a coin toss. Earlier today, the Falcons called tails and beat out the Oakland Raiders for the No. 3 pick, then Oakland beat Kansas City for the No. 4 pick and the draft order will look like this...barring trades...
1 Miami
2 St. Louis
3 Atlanta
4 Oakland
5 KC
In the second round Oakland will pick 3, KC 4 and ATL 5, with the 3rd round KC 3, Atl 4, Oak 5, and so on. But with ATL owning Houston's 2nd round pick (in the top 10 of the second round) the Falcons have 3 of the top 41 picks. And here is the kicker for Falcons fans. They may get one more. For weeks we have been hearing that the Chiefs have expressed interest in trading that now #4 second round pick for one DeAngelo Hall, the lunatic Falcons CB. Well, today, rumor has it that the New York Football Giants have offered its 1st round pick (No. 31 overall) to the ATL for DHall.
One thing I have to say to the Falcons...TAKE IT. I would have fallen all over myself for the KC pick, but now the Giants are giving you a pick 4 spots better? DO IT!(remember the Patriots don't have a pick, so you ARE getting #31 not #32!)
So if Atlanta takes that, they have 4 in the top 41. NICE. Way to rebuild.
Listen, it makes NO sense to have DHall around when he is complaining about a new contract. So if you pay him, you are still 3 years out of really doing something. You have to pay him 8M a year to fo 4-12,6-10, 9-7? No! If you DON'T pay him but keep him, he will be even MORE of a cancer in that lockerroom. Ship him out and draft a Lineman-o or d, doesn't matter.

How do I think things break down? I am glad you asked, even if you didn't...
1Miami, IF they keep the top pick, grabs QB Matt Ryan, but I think they trade the pick to Dallas and move down. Dallas then grabs Run DMc
2 St Louis grabs Howie Long's little boy Chris with the #2 pick(a huge blog from THIS GUY is coming about Chris Long and his family on Monday. stick around)
3 Atlanta will be tempted by Jake Long, but I say take Glen Dorsey. His arms may be a little short, but he is a PLAYER. A dominator! As I have said in previous posts, give me PROVEN talent over great potential any day.

At the end of the first round, if Felix Jones (or Mendenhall) is there, take him and pair him with JNorwood (since I think Warrick Dunn is headed to Seattle-the Atlanta of the West). I would also, in the second round look for an O-Lineman and then with the second pick, take another Dlineman or a quality Defensiveback, but only if the "best available tag" applies. Don't reach here.
The Falcons may want to consider Chad Henne in the 5th, if he is there, but I still say DJ Shockley and Red-Man can hold the fort until you get a high pick and take one of the FANTASTIC qbs coming out next year (Matt Stafford, Tebow, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, Rudy Carpenter, John Parker Wilson, Mitch Mustain, Stephen McGee, Chase Daniel will all be draft eligible next April). Another thing you could do is pluck John Navarre from Arizona, I believe, and plug him in for one or two years until your QB from NEXT year's draft is ready.

The Falcons got LUCKY today. And I believe that with this Thomas Dimitroff, of late Patriots' fame, the team will make smart draft moves. And just a word to Tommy Boy, DON'T TAKE A RECEIVER, and you will be fine.

Now as for my Redskins....take DeSean Jackson with the No. 21 and be happy. QUITE TRYING TO GET CHAD JOHNSON. The price WOULDN'T be worth the headache.
*****************************
So I have decided to include this as a BONUS for those loyal folks out there getting their NFL knowledge from this blog. (And if you are what is WRONG with you? Go to ESPN.com.) I exchanged my thoughts with my radio partner Paul “The Body” Mack. He is a die-hard Falcons fan and I was going over scenarios with him, mainly to get under his skin, but also to get him into a tizzy, which can and DID happen. Once The Body threw his wallet at my TV. It’s ok though, I went out and got an LCD HDTV as a result. Anyways, here is what I said to The Body:
I would take Dorsey at #3 (where the Falcons have the pick…see above) because I think Miami either takes Matt Ryan and then the Rams take Chris Long. Miami may also trade the #1 to Dallas, but they would take Run DMC. That would leave Dorsey (and his small arms that will FREAK out scouts, even though he is a beast on the field.) The only nightmare scenario you should worry about is if Dorsey is #1 and CLong at #2. I am just afraid for you the Falcons will take Ryan.
But if that is the case, call Dallas and see if they want to send you the #22 AND #28 for that #3 IF DMC is still there at 3. Think hard though because Darren McFadden will sell tickets, but so does winning. Of course we are assuming that the Falcons will send DeAngelo Hall to the NY Giants for that #31 overall pick (as has been rumored) or at least to KC for the #4 2nd round pick, you have the #22 (Take the Kansas CB Talib to replace DHall) and take Felix Jones at #28
OR maybe Quentin Groves at #22 then Mendenhall at #28 or Ryan Clady, OT from Boise State, but he will probably be gone. Then you have the wonderful problem of what to do at #31...maybe Kentwahn Balmer the DT from UNC?
In the second round I’d go with another CB (Antoine Cason of Arizona maybe) with your pick in the second round. Or CB Leodis McKelvin.
Bottom line if DMC is there, take him, UNLESS you can get two #1s from Dallas, then do THAT
AGAIN, this is ONLY if Dorsey and CLong are gone!

The Body weighed in with his Falcons thoughts…Cason is a guy I like, but Mckelven is gone as the Saints will take him. I think they can get Cromartie lower in the draft. I think they'll try to get run stuffers and a "name" player like Mcfadden/Dorsey early to be able to sell some tickets. I think they go for a ton of picks and don't package and move up. I think they want as many picks as they can get to build and maybe allow for mistakes.
They need 2 OT's... 2 DT's 1RB, likely at least one MLB, One CB, one WR, and probably one OG. QB is lower on my totem pole really.
Yeah there isn't anyone really good on the team but I don't see it as imperative as people make it out to be. We can't stop the run. That's my #1 priority followed closely by Offensive tackle. I think strong DT's help the pass rush which helps everything else.
I've decided I don't want Baker. I'm ok with Jake Long but I don't think he'll be "great" which is what I consider in a top 5. Mcfadden is a safer pick there. Like Ryan, not so much I take him at 3.

No comments: