Friday, August 28, 2009

last Friday post without picks!

Just think....next Friday, I'll be throwing picks out there. Yeehaw! This Friday, I'll go ahead and get into the spirit of College football with a hodgepodge of CFB thoughts. I of course have been looking forward to college football ever since Tim Tebow lisped his way to a second national championship and it is almost here. Some of this stuff I've thought about while driving, other stuff while talking with Paul Mac. Here we go....

Matt Barkley was named USC's starter at QB over sophomore Aaron Corp with junior Mitch Mustain getting the participant's red ribbon. Do you ever think Mustain wishes he had stayed at Arkansas? He was undefeated as a starter with the Hogs, but Nutt benched him late in the year in favor of Casey Dick and Mustain and his OC/high school coach left Fayetteville for USC and Tulsa, respectively. What if Mustain hadn't pitched a hissy-fit and left? He should have known that he'd be up against Dirty Sanchez who knew the system and then at least two hotshot recruits that Pete would be bringing in. If he had stayed, he'd be up against CASEY FREAKING DICK. Are you kidding me? Casey Dick? Mustain could have beaten him out if he really was worth the hype. Remember, this guy was more hyped than Stafford and Tebow. This guy was the top QB of his class. I guess he really wasn't worth the hype....And this guy was A COLLEGE QB. Not a pro QB like Stafford, but a college spread guy. Tebow is doing what everyone thought Mustain would do. He isn't going to make it in the PROs, this was his chance. And he pissed it away because Houston Nutt said, "You know, I have a true freshman QB and then I have two 1st round running backs. Maybe I should put the ball in their hands. Hmmmmmmmm." And if Mustain sticks, does that mean Nutt is still at Arkansas and the Razorbacks are the top ten team while Ole Miss is still stuck in neutral? Actually if Nutt stays, does Petrino still leave the Falcons? Or does Ole Miss make YET ANOTHER run at Petrino? Wow, if Petrino had stayed with Atlanta, do they take Dorsey and then Brohm later in the second round? How different would the Falcons be too? See Mitch Mustain, YOU allowed Paul Mac to be proud to be a Falcons fan!

Speaking of Houston Nutt and his (rather Jim Donnan's) invention of the Wildcat/Hog/Rebel...I was looking around the SEC and the ACC at the different schools and the Wild-whatever that they could run, if they wanted to.
-At Georgia, I don't think they would and if they did, Bobo would probably put Logan Gray or Aaron Murray (and his bottle of hairgel) out there to run it, but I have two better suggestions: Safety Bacarri Rambo (he played QB at Wilcox, if I recall correctly) or CB Brandon Boykin (also played QB at Fayette County) back there. I would rather have Rambo back there because he is a bit bigger, but you get the idea.
-If Tennessee wanted to run the WildVol, Eric Berry, DONE. WOW. Why didn't Tennessee do anything with him last season?
-If Spurrier wanted to do the WildCock (that sounds nasty) why not throw Brookwood's Kenny Miles back there. From everything I hear from my SoCar friends, Miles is having one HECK of a summer practice up there and he was AWESOME with the Broncos.
-Vandy.....who cares
-Wildwildcat at UK, you'd go with Randall Cobb subbing in for Mike Hartline. Cobb nearly beat Georgia last season.
Over in the west, the WildRebel you've got Dexter McCluster. He did it last year and might have been better at it than Run DMC
At Arkie, Michael Smith might seem small, but he'd do it if Petrino wanted to
Miss State could turn to Anthony Dixon, if he's on the field...
LSU would prolly go with the true frosh Russell Sheppard
and Bama just wouldn't do it, if you want my honest opinion
Auburn would probably turn to Kodi Burns or even Mario Fanin
-Finally we come to Florida and they run the Wild Gator all the time with that Fullback No15 back there. What's his name? Tebow. Gotcha
Over in the ACC, I don't know the teams as well as I should but Clemson probably puts CJ Spiller, UVA goes with Vic Hall and sadly that's all I can name off the top of my head. I know GT wouldn't do it because they are already doing an option offense that is hard enough to defend.

That's all I've got for now. Get ready for some High School football tonight (tune in to GPB.org/football or GHSA.tv if you get bored) And in case you are wondering where the previews for GA HS Class A and AA, Wesleyan and Buford will win. Done. You're welcome.

No comments: