Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Think of it as an opportunity...

This is really a no-lose situation all around if you think about it. University of Florida Gators QB Tim Tebow returned to Gainesville-aka the Hole that God forgot about-for his senior season and despite the fact that it PROBABLY means Florida will win yet another BCS title, I am pumped. He will go down as one of the best (system) players in college football history with a chance to be the best ever to don the pads. I get to watch him play one more season.

But I also get one more season to make fun of his lisp. I get one more season to roll my eyes every time ESPN talks about his mission trips, yet the network fails to mention Colt McCoy's trips or Mark Richt's trips. My buddy JCole gets one more season of wearing his "Tebow drinks Wine Coolers" shirt.

And the best part....I get my villain back for one more season. College football is ALWAYS better with a villain that everyone is rooting against. The Heel in wrestling always draws the viewers because they want to see him lose. Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior always split the cheer but Ric Flair brought the fans together to jeer him. Tebow does the same thing. Everyone likes their own school but HATES Tebow. I have THAT in common with Oklahoma. They like Bradford while I like Samuel, but we both despise Tebow. Having a villain is awesome.

2009 will be fun for me as a Georgia fan because if Florida beats Georgia at the Cocktail party, they were supposed to anyways. BUT if Georgia beats Tebow up like the Dawgs did in 2007, then we'll go crazy. I look at Tebow's return as an opportunity. It is a chance to wreck his national title hopes and his double Heisman dream. Georgia has a chance to nail Tebow again and again and that makes me smile. I'll be rooting for Miss State, UK, SoCar, Vandy, LSU, Tennessee and Arkansas to lay Tebow out. It will be fun.
And if it doesn't happen and Tebow goes on to win the Heisman and the title, then I can tell my kids, through gritted teeth, that I saw the best college player ever. Damn Gator.

No comments: