Friday, December 14, 2007

Horford Suspended for NOTHING!

Having interviewed Al Horford while writing a story on Score Atlanta, I realized that, despite the fact he went to Florida, he was a pretty decent young man.

That is why I am SHOCKED he was suspended for one game by the NBA for fouling TJ Ford this past week when the Hawks played the Toronto Raptors. I have watched the replay several times on ESPN.com and I actually watched most of that game, but turned it off near the end, apparently RIGHT before it happened.

As it went down, TJ Ford stole the ball and was fast breaking for a layup when Horford hustled down(not giving up on the play. I wish Dennis Felton would teach that to his UGA basketball team) and went for the block, instead inadvertantly hitting Ford's forehead. Ford landed hard, why, because he is 5'10 and Horford is 6'10. Ford was taken out on a stretcher. Please.

I know Ford injured his spinal cord a few years back, but THAT is why Horford is suspended. A fully healthy Ford wouldn't have been taken out on a stretcher and therefore NO suspension for Horford, the NBA's reigning rookie of the month. (Hey maybe Billy Knight DIDN'T mess that one up)

But this will soil Horford's image, unfairly, but still. I hope he is NOT seen as a dirty player. He was playing hard, going for the block, and a shaken up Ford was taken away because of his spinal history. Horford shouldn't be punished. I hope he appeals and the Commish looks at the tape and Ford's history and maybe just fines Horford and gives him one of those points or whatever the system is these days.

I can't believe I am defending a Florida Gator player. I guess THAT is what Dennis Felton has done to me as a Georgia Basketball fan and college basketball fan in general. Great, now I have a nosebleed!

No comments: