Thursday, December 20, 2007

Year in music part 1

w2007 was quite a year for the music industry, or at least the Fletcher music industry. Now as you all know, I don't claim to be a music guy. I like listening to music, but I also like to tune my car radio to either XM or sports radio. So remember that with my year in review. This will also be a two parter, with today being about how was up (in my opinion) and who was down (also in my opinion). Next Thursday, I will talk about how 2007 was the Year of the Woman in music. So there we go, and HERE we go........

Timbaland is BACK baby! Not only did he write all of the songs and/or beats for EVERYBODY, but he released his own album. The Way I Are has a great beat to it (it makes me want to do the robot) and Apologize not to mention Give it to me with JT and NF was pretty sweet. This dude is talented.

Justin Timberlake....enh. Dude, you started off hot, but maybe that was 2006's finish. Your Summer Love, I didn't like it. Lovestoned, again, didn't like it. JT, I know you are the man and you actually have musical talent unlike the rest of N*sync, but come on bro. Pick your singles better. But maybe 26 year old guys ISN'T the target audience. maybe. But I know you'll be back dude. Don't worry. Plus You are tagging Jessie Biel. That counts.

Finger 11. I certainly didn't like One Thing, but your song Paralyzer MORE than made up for it. That song is sweet, but my Bride-to-be won't let me steal that song from her (although she stole Loco's The Gobbler from me, so I think I am allowed.....) I also thought it was cool when they remixed that song for the Victoria's Secret Fashion show. Which I was TOTALLY watching for the music...................

Kanye West. So a good year for you (beating 50 Cent in album sales, coming out with Stronger, settling your lawsuit with Evil Keneval-spelling?) turned bad when you lost your mom. But this blog is about music. So I will say that you finally followed Golddigger with a great song. (I know you had Touch the Sky, but I didn't like that one that much.) I finally feel like I am allowed to listen to Kanye West again. That's how long I've been on ya!

Soulja Boy-Crank That. OK, so the only reason this song is on here is because UGA plays it after the 4th quarter song and I think it is cool seeing Knowshon and TB dance to it on the sidelines. Plus I kinda like the beat to it. Superman that Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I love that this year's American Idol Jordin Sparks (PS, I didn't mispell that, her parents did) isn't doing all that well and Daughtry is. I mean, he was featured on several AI ads plus his song was on the intro of CFB games on the CW. That counts for something. And even though she now uses Josh's line about Daughtry=Nickleback, I know Roomie still loved Daughtry's version of Walk the Line. I know she does.

Sean Kingston. This kid is 17 right? He already has two hit songs, an appearance on The Hills and finally America can stop calling Sean Jean the most famous Jamacian "Sean" Life is good.

Wyclef Jean? Why are you still doing this? You were good with the Fugees, but Carnaval2, Life of an immigrant? How many years ago was that? You have been in America how long now? Why are you STILL AT IT? That would be like Leo CeCap in Gangs of New York 60 years later still calling himself an Irishman. YOU ARE AMERICAN NOW WYCLEF! Plus, your MTV promos are stupid.

matchbox twenty. I like that Rob Thomas tried to do a solo act and when it DIDN'T work, he went back to the band...and the band took him back. They knew what they were and they knew they needed each other for success. They are a pretty good band. Now that we have our "solo career" out of the way, we can go back to making good music. Which they have done. PS, Whent CT likes you as a band, that is a seal of approval.

Linkin Park I haven't heard all of their "new" album, but everyone says it was great. I love these guys as a group and I do like their new "shadow" song too. I DID buy the Fort Minor album...I was a little disappointed. But Remember the Name made the CD worth the purchase. I just wanted a little more, but THAT'S OK. That means I thought enough of LP that I thought the spinoff would be better. Can't top the original I guess.

Maroon 5, It is like Adam Levine (is that his name?) was pissed that the American Idol producers suggested that Blake Lewis that Levine's place with the band, so they went out and put together a great CD. Wake Up, Makes me Wonder, all good songs. I used to call these guys Moron 5, but She Will be Loved, and Sunday Morning have won me over. Harder to Breathe is a good song too. I like that the band seemed kind of pissed though at AI. Funny.

Miley Cyrus and High School Musical1,2,3,12..... Just because they are targeted for kids DOESN'T mean parents need to mindlessly buy them. These albums are probably going to be the highest sellers this year. And PS, since when did being Billy Ray's daughter mean Miley could start selling out shows as Hannah Montana? I want to slap all of those parents suing HM, INC because they couldn't buy tickets and are now being forced to go eBay for $600. If my kid ever wants me to pay $600 apiece for tickets to a concert, I will shake the kid, British Nanny style until he/she comes to his/her senses. Gimmie a break.

Plain White T's. OK, so I liked Hey There Delilah (which is my song of the year) until I heard it for the one Millionth time on Dave FM in ONE DAY. Dave FM (which wins the award for Fletcher's WORST Radio station of the year, featuring Mara Davis-winner of the WORST DJ of the year, barely over Sully and Denzel) killed the song in about one week, after it lost its exclusive contract with Star 94. I really did like that song. It was all over XM, but then Dave got it about 7 months later (a trend with them. And then Mara Davis calls it a "new" song. Give me a flipping break.) and overburned it.

Finally. ....major kudos to John Mayer for Continuum. I know this CD came out last year, but I bought it in January, so I am allowed to talk about it. It is like he went to the record company and said, "I am sick of singing about Bubblegum tongues and No Such Thing. I am going to make REAL music now." His ENTIRE CD is great. Vultures, Stop this train, Gravity, Slow Dancing in a burning room, In repair. Another You.... all great songs. The only thing is, the last song on the album, I'm gonna find another you needed a more powerful ending. He needed to belt it out, blues-style but he kind of just mellowed it to a close, but that's ok, because I belt it out for him. Love this CD, I hope he continues to make REAL music opposed to playing chess with salt and pepper shakers.

SO there we go. Next Thursday I look back at 2007:The year of the woman. The detail will include thoughts on Fergie, Alicia Keys, Amy Winehouse, Rihanna, Colbie Caillat and Feist.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your blog until the John Mayer part.

Anonymous said...

I gotta tell you that I'm altogether happy with your music blog. As you not being a music person and me being THE music person, I liked it. And you giving props to Linkin Park's CD without listening to it I loved. That is my actual pick for best CD of 2007. Hands down. The new ecclectic rhythym, brave political messages, and the never before present Mike
Shinoda's voice all make this album worth twice what you pay. All in all, the best blog you've ever done!