Friday, December 14, 2007

Those Things You Did after That Thing You Do

So as I was watching television last night, I saw that Tom Everett Scott is appearing in the new show Cashmere Mafia. I thought, "Wow, Guy Patterson. What a stud to have gotten Charlize Theron AND Liv Tyler in that movie!" And that got me thinking....what a great cast that movie had for pretty much a B rating. So I decided to look into what the band members did AFTER the movie. (I won't count the Academy Award winner Charlize Theron or Tom Hanks or Liv Tyler, since they obvie had much better careers than the other guys.) So here is how I think the band's career went down AFTER the movie ended..................

Steve Zahn. The crazy guitarist from THAT THING YOU DO. After this movie he did a bunch of kids movies. Really? This guy? Stuart Little 1 &2. Daddy Daycare. Chicken Little. But he also jumped into Bad Comedy (Daddy Daycare, National Security, Employee of the Month, Saving Silverman). Then he was CLEARLY overshadowed by Lili Sobieski in Joy Ride (and her manly voice "Are you ready for an adventure or what?" reminds me of Pam Ward) But his appearance in Rescue Dawn, though I haven't seen it is probably good. Hey, it has Christian Bale in it. It HAS to be good. I give this guy's career a C- since TTYD

Ethan Embry. The original Bass player for the ONEders. RIGHT after this movie he was hot. And by hot I mean he scored Rusty Griswald aka Nic Pappageorgio in Vegas Vacation, (but to be honest, there will always be ONLY ONE Russ, Johnny Galecki from Christmas) and Preston aka Pres-STONE! from Can't Hardly Wait. But looking back now, how in the world did Preston end up with Jennifer Love Hewitt? I just don't know. After 1998 work became scarce forEthan Embry, the short-lived remake of Dragnet, a few animated series voice-overs...a few bit parts in random movies. Plus there was the rumor that this guy committed suicide. Never good for your career. Unless you are TuPac. Since TTYD: D overall (B+ in 1997 and 1998)

Johnathon Schaech. The lead singer for the O'neders. Now this is where it got tight. I HAD this guy over Tom Everett Scott until I found out some importanta information. THIS GUY FILED FOR DIVORCE FROM CHRISTINA APPLEGATE. Not the other way around. She didn't from him. He did from her! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? JS, your career after TTYD has been an appearance in Sweetest Thing, you know, your WIFE'S movie. 8MM2. Road House 2. Two sequels to movies that really didn't need sequels, OR THE ORIGINALS. Hush. Yeah, remember that movie? No. neither does Hollywood. What else? Finding Graceland. Despite all of those failures, I was still going to give you a B just for snagging Applegate, but YOU filed for divorce. YOU IDIOT! Since TTYD: F-!

Tom Everett Scott. If I were the folks in Cashmere Mafia, I would start looking for new jobs. Guy Patterson here (the drummer that comes in and puts the band on the map) is a series killah! Look at the series he has appeared on Saved, Stacked, Will & Grace (the final year), ER (and that series is now dead, despite its continuing) Do Over, Philly, The $treet, Top of the Food Chain, and Grace Under Fire. All series NOW LONGER ON THE AIR. But he did star in American Werewolf in Paris, which was a success-wink. He also threw down with Zack Morris(a black-haired Zack) in Dead Man On Campus, Van Wilder and Boiler Room. I have to give him props for that one. So for his movie work I give him a B, for TV I give him a D. Since TTYD: C+ (he has gotten work.)

Finally, our winner..... Giovanni Ribisi. He WAS the drummer that hurt his wrist and was replace by Guy Patterson and THAT's when the band took off. But maybe Giovanni's injury was an injury in disguise. Maybe, just maybe, he avoided the curse of the bandmates who were destined to a career of animated voice-overs. Her credits post-TTYD include Saving Private Ryan, The Other Sister, The Mod Squad, The Virgin Suicides, Boiler Room, Gone in 60 Seconds, Basic, Lost in Translation, Cold Mountain, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. And just for fun he appeared as Phoebe's brother in Friends, and they like him SO much, they brought him back for the triplets story line. This kid is SO talented, he has stuck with movies, instead of TV. Nice. He was do drama, comedy, pretty much anything. I've got to tip my cap to him. True most of his stuff is in a supporting role, but just ask Morgan Freeman if that isn't a bad gig. He adds to every movie he is in, and doesn't take away. Since TTYD: A (like a 97. Not quite A+, but rightthere.)

Otherwise Charlize Theron, I'd give an A+. She won an Oscar and she is the sexiest woman on the planet according to whichever magazine does that. Liv Tyler starred in Armaggedon and the Lord of the Rings movies. I'd give her an A. Tom Hanks REALLY needs Angels and Demons to be a hit because his rep took a hit from Di Vinci Code. But come on, he was Forrest Gump-A.

I do enjoy watching that movie, That Thing You Do. Very entertaining. The bunch really came together for an enjoyable movie. Plus I like movies where, as the credits are rolling, they tell you what happened to the characters so I don't have to ONEDER.

No comments: