Tuesday, December 8, 2009

An EXTRA early look at the SBF top 11 of 2010-11 seniors

As the state playoffs come to a close with the state championship games this weekend at the Dome, SBF has decided to take an EXTRA EXTRA EARLY look at the top 11 seniors for next year. Clearly that means they are currently juniors and so many players make a leap in between their JR and SR seasons, but this is my first look at the Extraordinary Eleven as we will call them. Score Atlanta's Brian Jones helped out here in compiling the list, and between both of us, we've seen all of these guys in action so we DO know what we are talking about. ENJOY

RB, Northside, (Don't call them warner robins.) Shaquille O'Neal. I watched this guy pound and pound and pound against Lowndes so he can run between the tackles, but he once got into open field and the dude just ran away from the defense. He has deceptive speed. It will be a huge race between this guy and Isaiah Crowell for top RB honors with NO ONE ELSE even in the ballpark.

RB, Carver, Isaiah Crowell. Speaking of Crowell. This guy might be the best player in the state coming back, prospect-wise. When I saw him face Baldwin, traditionally a tough defensive team, Crowell found a gear I knew never knew existed in high school players. He moved it into 7th gear when everyone else was struggling to find fourth. This kid running the counter...wow. Expect the Gators and the Dawgs to be all over this guy. Auburn couldn't go after him after signing 92 RBs this year, could they?

S/RB, Kell, Brian Randolph. he had 100 tackles...as a sophomore. So silky and he can just hit when necessary or defend when necessary. Quite a player.

DE, TCC Ray Drew. Brian Jones calls him the best junior in the state right now. Big B has seen him in action, I've just youtubed the guy. He looks good. I look forward to seeing him in action.

LB Tucker, James Vaughters. I saw him in action and while my co-host on Score Atlanta's The Official Visit claims he is the best junior in the state right now, I was left lacking. But I am throwing Janovy a bone here. I saw the potential but not the production. Then again all of Tucker this season left me wanting more.

QB, North Gwinnett CJ Uzomah. He will be the BEST returning QB regardless of class next season. He carried his team, sans a running game, to the region title and if you DON'T think that 35-0 whitewashing will motivate him for next season, you're crazy. I've spoken with him a few times, he is a competitor.

OT, Dalton, Watts Dantzler. the big blocker, he could follow his daddy to Georgia, and that would be just fine with me! (Class of '03)

DE/LB, Southwest DeKalb, Terrance Smith. Believe it or not, when I watched the SWD/Tucker game, I couldn't take my eyes off of THIS guy. Not Stripling, not Golightly, not Malcome on the sidelines, but THIS GUY. He was a beast. And he is only going to get bigger, stronger and faster. Scary.

DT, Carver-Columbus. Gabe Wright. A man-child and he's only a junior. This guy was clogging the middle and I am looking forward to seeing him do it without Corey Crawford. I know he'll be able to. 6'2, 260 and you know that is before beefing up at all of the camps over the summer. Yeah, he'll tear it up and maybe take Carver back to the final four.

TE, Valdosta, Jay Rome. Big B sings his praises. I love the big tight ends (hey now) that can get out on a block but then have the soft hands to bring the ball in. 6'7, 215 and is an outstanding basketball player and triple jumper on the T&F circuit. This guy is a freak athlete that Florida must love the idea of and that Georgia should be courting.

LB, Gainesville, AJ Johnson. Tennessee offered this guy the first day they could earlier this year. He is a special player that isn't getting noticed because of three big-time seniors (Sims, Carr and Jones) but will get all of the love next year and might even be the reason Gainesville wins the championship Saturday against PeachCo. If he hassles Pat Taylor enough, the Red Elephants will be dancing on the GA Dome floor. Just saying.....

Others nearly making the cut....Tyler Hunter (LB/QB/RB @ Lowndes), Troy Braswell (RB @ Lowndes), Tanner Botts (LB @ PTR, I think)

Coming up later this week, I'll look at the championship games.

No comments: