Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Higher ceilings. Vaulted perhaps?

SBF has been on vacation for a few days, but we're back and we sort of feel the need to defend ourselves since the fine folks at 790 The Zone weren't willing to do so.
On Sunday, Scott Janovitz and myself took over the Falcons postgame coverage for 790, and despite defending the team, we apparently slammed the team and Matt Ryan.
Scott Janovitz had the audicity to say that perhaps Matt Ryan had reached his ceiling as a player (something that Jaws from ESPN hinted at a few weeks back and that Mel Kiper Junior predicted in NFL draft coverage.) and maybe we shouldn't think that he will do much more than what he gave fans last season, ie a playoff-bound season where he was 11-5. Really good at home, struggles a bit on the road, heady but not with a cannon for an arm.
Then apparently after I admitted that I had no dog in the fight as I was a Redskins fan though I like to see Atlanta do well, I said that Matt Stafford, Detroit's rookie QB had a higher ceiling than Ryan does. Scott seemed to agree and we agreed that while Ryan would be better in year one than year four (where he'd be about the same) Stafford, if he progresses as we think he should (and how he did while at Georgia) will be better in his year four than in his year one. I said Stafford is throwing INTs now, just like how he did his freshman year at Georgia, then by his junior year, he had it sorted out. I sort of have history on my side here.

Well apparently when I defended the Falcons to a caller who said they had no heart , that was slamming the Falcons. I then hoped that Ryan and Turner would come back soon because they probably wouldn't go 9-7 without Matt Ryan and Michael Turner, this was slamming the Falcons. Ummm, what?

I understand I shouldn't fire back at message boarders, but I guess I was really more frustrated with a radio station (that I've worked for since 2005) that apparently is willing to throw me under a bus because they didn't listen to what I said and instead went with some emailers. That's cool.

PS, having a higher ceiling isn't an insult. Matt Stafford, when you take into account his arm, DOES HAVE A HIGHER CEILING than Matt Ryan. He does. He can learn and study just like Ryan does and if you equal that study time up, the better arm will prevail.
It is just like saying that Michael Vick has a higher ceiling than Peyton Manning. THAT IS TRUE. If you MAKE MV7 study the playbook and spend the time with the receivers that Manning does, then with Vick's athletic ability, he would be better than Manning. His Ceiling is higher. Though where Vick currently resides (just like where Stafford currently sits) is much lower than Manning (and Ryan). Manning and Ryan are near their ceilings whereas Stafford and Vick are well below their ceilings, and also where PM and MR are right now. It is a FACT. Sorry if you disagree.

No comments: