Friday, August 15, 2008

Bulldog Friday. GO Dawgs!

As I have done the last few weeks, I am throwing out my thoughts on The Dawgs, (you know, the Coaches' #1, SI's #1 and TSN's #1). (I am also going to put this out there to throw people off who I might be picking in the UGA Boy draft tomorrow. I feel like an NFL GM, throwing out smoke signals as to who I might pick...)

I saw where Knowshon Moreno might be returning punts this year. Wow. That's good and bad at the same time. Good in the sense that Knowshon is fantastic and could really do some stuff in the open field if given the chance. I like it whenever Knowshon touches the ball. He has moves that remind me of Reggie Bush (back in college, Bush was pretty good, in the NFL, not so much) and he COULD TAKE one to the house in a second. But the negative is, he is a sitting duck out there sometimes and those special teams players would LOVE to hit the coverboy of all of the magazines. I think it is interesting that 3rd string QB Logan Gray is also in the mix to return punts. WOW. shows you the athlete he is. I just wonder about the future of the GA QB situation. If Stafford leaves after this season (and if he wins a nat'l title, he will be the No.1 overall. Why stay?) then would Joe Cox or Logan Gray be the QB next year? Or would Aaron Murray the true frosh get it? I doubt that. Why burn up a year if Murray isn't going to be the full bore guy. What if stafford comes back? then in 2010, you have Redshirts Murray and Mettenberger and Redshirt JUNIOR at that point Logan Gray. I like the future of Georgia football at the QB position.

I saw where Asher Allen is being called just a kick returner, even though last season he set the Georgia record for PR yards, or something. That's fine. He is too good a CB that I would want to risk an injury there as a PR. Also, I would like to see true frosh Carlton Thomas from Frostproof, FL get back there. They say Noel Devine/CJ Spiller-type. I like that.

Finally, the injuries are bad, and the Trinton Sturdivant injury REALLY hurts, but I try to be glass half-full. At LEAST it happened NOW and not in week 2 before South Carolina. Now the Dawgs can get some guys in to try out the position or to get comfortable enough that Stafford will hopefully feel comfortable by the time the real games begin. Silver lining. THe new LT will get some game speed at him with GSU and CMU before SoCar and ZonaState.

Overall, I still don't want to back away from saying that UGA still have the fewest warts. Injuries are starting to take tolls on teams, UGA lost a LT, but Fla has lost 5 players to ACLs, USC is missing a QB and RB and having to go with Mitch Mustain early. Mizzou lost a DT, Ohio State still sucks as a whole (they could be COMPLETELY healthy and still bite. How about you try Tyrelle Pryor[spelling] on DEFENSE? get some speed out there. Look what it did for LSU and Fla, duh Ohio State!). And Clemson, really? Come off it.
OU's schedule really sets up well for them. I am thinking that UGA is now going to go against the Sooners for the title. The last time OU played for the title in Miami against a team coached (sort of) by Mark Richt, they had some success. If ONLY UGA could get that game moved to the Fiesta Bowl, then it would be a BLOWOUT!

No comments: