Monday, August 25, 2008

What are you WAITING FOR?

I am getting sick of folks who are writing the columns and stories about how sick THEY are of folks anointing Michael Phelps as the greatest Olympian EVER.
They are saying, "He will be after 2012, but NOT NOW."
Right, like waiting four more years to do something you have ALREADY SAID you WILL do is going to make a difference.
Can you honestly explain to me your reasoning for saying that you aren't yet ready to crown him greatest ever? What is waiting four more years going to prove? You have already said you WILL do it then, so why wait? Why not do it now?

And my own radio station isn't above my annoyance right now too. A certain show that I REALLY like that comes on from 11-1 every Monday-Friday that I really like even said this. WHY? What are we waiting for? If you are saying that Jesse Owens should be #1, I retort, "I realize the situation was there, but you had a dude running against a bunch of white dudes that weren't that fast to begin with." Phelps is going up against WORLD CLASS Swimmers that are breaking records if not for Phelps. Some are even only swimming the one event, their speciality, and Phelps is taking them down. His range is greater than Carl Lewis's. Lewis ran and jumped. But did he run all the different distances and did he run some backwards? NO.

He did it over several Olympics and that is why some are saying, "Oh he needs to do it again." WAIT, he ALREADY DID IT ONCE. In Athens, the dude claimed HOW MANY GOLDS? he was going for 8 there too, and I think he got 6 golds plus two Bronze, so he HAS already done it in an Olympics other than 2008. Phelps as 14 Gold now (16 total) and is the most decorated Olympian ever. The greatest champion ever. How are people disputing this?

In all of the events he does? I just don't understand. If you try and say Carl Lewis, I still say, "Scoreboard." If you say Jesse Owens, I say "look at today's athletes, oh and scoreboard!"
You can't call this guy ANYTHING BUT Greatest Olympian, and waiting four more years just to crown this guy is stupid. Crown him now and let him live up to it in London. But WHEN he adds at LEAST 6 more in London plus probably two or three more the following Olympics, I will NOT be in the mood to slide over on the "Greatest EVER bandwagon." You should have gotten on when he broke the record.

No comments: