Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What a busy opening week of high school football

I know we had the Kell Powerade classic last week, but this past weekend was when EVERYONE ELSE opened up the 2008Georgia High School Football season. And what a weekend it was.

Ware County, a state finalist last season was preseason #1 entering the game, but got smacked down 24-0 and they will fall from the top spot. I don't think they every should have been there, personally. I thought and STILL think that Tucker was the top AAAA team, especially with the talented backfield they have (Drayton Calhoun-LSU bound and Jonathan Davis-OkieState bound). And you KNOW the defense will be stout YET AGAIN. They cruised and I am thinking another run to the final four is in store for these guys. Look at their competition: TCC barely won with a new coach, Bainbridge has TCC's old coach but how much talent, Chamblee has two great RBs, but a new coach, as does Cedar Shoals if I am not mistaken. Whitewater is incredibly talented by incredibly young according to my source down and Westside-Macon...we'll see how they hold up come playoff time. I just think Tucker is too talented to fall to any of these teams, and with NS-WR gone, the road to the AAAA championship runs through Tucker (well, the dome, but you get my point)

In AAAAA Lowndes adn NS-WR will be #1 and #2 with Camden probably sneaking in once the first two face each other, but they will meet again, in the dome. My cohorts on HSH5 say that Greg Reid is the best player in the state, I am not sure I can agree with that. He is a zonetastic player for Lowndes, but there are other players who are better and while Reid is oh so important to that team, I think they lose to NS-WR at home and then again in the playoffs. ML King at North Cobb will be a fun one to follow this week. I wonder if Rico Mack is going to see any time this season at QB. My source there said that he was expected to after last season, but hasn't so far in fall practice. I think Grayson is the best team in Gwinnett, especially after the first week of football. Parkview, yeouch. Norcross nearly lost again (too much for my darkhorse to win the state title in 5-A). I correctly called Walton in at ajc.com #8, for the record.

In AAA, I am not certain that I could have Cairo at #1 as the AJC does when they haven't played a game yet. Carver-Columbs is the defending champ and appear to be reloaded, but they are at #2. Paul Mac's Baldwin Braves come in at #3 now that they've dropped from 4A. Dunwoody is going to be a team to keep an eye on. Cooper Taylor and the little RB they have (Schley?) provide enough offense, but I worry about their defense. Apalachee scored on it a bunch last year and they will try to outscore everyone.

In AA, Buford took out a Texas team behind Cody Getz and Dallas Lee's blocking and tackling, but they NEED to get it together quick, especially with North Hall coming to town this week. Henry County with Jamal Patterson and Drew Little are the trendy sleeper pick, and I am jumping on the bandwagon. Look out for Henry, as well as Rashard Smith and Dublin. Dublin could give teams fits come playoff time. They won't WIN, but they will give them fits.

In single A, WAYSHAUN EALY is all you need to know.

Norcross has let me down thus far, even though they are 1-1. I think Camden exposed them. Even if they go 9-1 and make the final four, come playoff time, they will lose. Camden laid out the blueprint and that is IF Norcross can make it that far with the swiss cheese OLine they have.

Parkview lost to Collins Hill for the first time EVER. The Panthers just didn't read like they had the interior lines with it and the team needs the QB presence. Brandon Jacobs only had 82 yards? This team needs to step it up for their superstar. I think Grayson #1, Brookwood#2, Parkview#3 in that region...

How about Milton's running back Toney Williams (Tenn-bound) getting 7 tds and 350 yards. They needed it too as they only won 51-49. yeouch. Does Milton play defense?

And Roswell lost again. Wow, how the once-mighty have fallen. Maybe McFarlin knew what he had and THAT'S why he got out...

Apalachee, a team I did play by play for last season looked impressive in the school's first game at AAAA level. 35-15 with 4 tds for jr RB John Lee. I just hope he has gotten the east/west out of his system and does a little more north/south. He has the ability to be a great one next season. As for Chaun Gresham, hopefully he can play through the other team's scheming against him.

Lassiter has the talent to be better than 3-7, but we will see just how far Hoover's Chip Lindsey can take them.

ANd I STILL want to hear who you think is the best Big-time college bound RB in the state this season. Wayshaun Ealy (UGA) Toney Williams (UT) Brandon Jacobs (Aub), the Flowery Branch kid going to GT? Warren Norman (Vandy), Drayton Calhoun (LSU) Jonathan Davis (Okie State)

Paul Mac and I will be doing North Springs High School pxp this season, with the first game this Thursday (They actually won this past Saturday, but we were watching the Dawgs play) The team plays Chamblee and Stormin' Warren Norman. And of COURSE you can hear us Saturday mornings on 790 The Zone from 9-10 AM High School High Five.

No comments: