Monday, June 8, 2009

Old School was better...

I just don't get hangovers. Never got them when I was drinking and I didn't get it Saturday night either when I saw the flick at MoG. I actually felt left out because seemingly EVERY ONE ELSE in the theater was LMAOing the entire time. Was I missing something?
I guess maybe the answer to that question comes in the form of the fact that I am now 27. I guess I don't find grown men pretending to jack off babies that funny. I guess I am over MFingCS being all that funny these days. Gay-Asian stereotypes really aren't that funny. Gay jokes period....are they funny? Not to me.
So I guess I am no longer the in the target demo for these types of movies. Maybe if I was still a 19 year old college sophomore this movie would have been funny. Or maybe if I didn't want to punch Bradley Cooper's character Phil in the face every time he was on screen.
Or maybe if Ed Helms's character said, "Hey Tuna!" once or twice, that would have been better.

I feel so old. But sorry, Old School WAS JUST BETTER. Vince Vaughn's dry humor along with Will Ferrell before he blew up and throw in Ari Gold as the new dean of a college, and you have a great, REALLY funny movie. Perhaps I had blown up expectations for this film since the previews and commercials looked so funny...or perhaps the producers put all of the funny parts in the trailers. Oh well.

One more thing about movies....Let's discuss movie theater etiquette.
If you are so important that you need to have your cell phone with you, especially in the middle of a two hour movie, DON'T GO TO THE MOVIE. You are clearly important, so that means you cannot come down to the plebeian level and watch a movie. Oh, wait you are 14 years old? Is your mom telling you that she will pick you up in front of the mall instead of in the parking lot? Not that important.
Me? I leave the phone in the car. Why? I am going to a movie to escape reality for 2 hours. I can do without a phone for less than three hours. And odds are, I am with one of the 6 people that I'd take the call from. Maybe some people have more important lives that whatever the pressing issue is cannot wait 3 hours. But if that is the case, DON'T GO TO THE MOVIE!

And don't tell me texting is OK. No, your phone still lights up! When it is dark and all of sudden your phone lights up, it kind of ruins the atmosphere...

and PLEASE don't tell me "Oh, it's just the previews" You know what, dickhead, I'm trying to watch them! Quit talking and texting during them.

Oh, hey, if you want to do Mystery Science Theater, please continue. Only make sure you do it quietly and are seated WAY away from me.

Finally, I get to a movie at least 20 minutes BEFORE THE PREVIEWS start, mainly so I can get a good seat in the middle of the row so Wifey and I can watch the movie from a good angle. What I DON'T need you to do is show up 2 minutes before the previews begin or even in the middle of the previews and ask me to move over one seat so you can have the two seats on either side of me, only together. No, what I need YOU to do is do what I did and show up 20 minutes early and getting those seats. No, you show up late, you get the seats that are left. And if you even try to ask me, be prepared for me to be rude to you.
That's all I ask for. Just be considerate. I'm trying to watch the movie too. I paid $10 apiece to watch it. I'd like to be able to watch it without you being a jerkface.

1 comment:

PMC Glad I didn't pay for Land of Lost guy. said...

totally with you on the cell phones. Honestly, I think we should get to a point where If your Cell goes off in a theatre or if you freaking start using it in the movie, the people around you should smash it, and then urinate on your face the second the movie is over then drag you home behind a vehicle.