Friday, June 5, 2009

Plenty of targets for Joseph Cox (And AMurr)

Is he DJ Shockley or JoeT3?

Georgia fifth year senior Joe Cox has waited his turn behind first Shock, then JoeT then No.1 overall pick Matthew Stafford and now has finally gotten a chance to take the field as the full-time starter. How well will he do? Well, he will certainly have receiving options that Matthew Stafford never did while at UGA.

But who are those receivers? Let's take a peek...

All-SEC receiver AJ Green returns after piling up more stats than the higher hyped Julio Jones of Alabama and he is finally healthy after missing some time over the spring with various injuries. To see this guy going full steam is impressive. I got a chance to see him pull off some insane catches against Arizona State last year and he is incredible. Just unreal. He will probably see some double teams early, but he showed last season that when healthy, he can still beat those double teams. And he will be one more year in the system and a little bigger. Gotta like that. He's a preseason All-SEC. Look for him to be Postseason All-SEC as well.

On the other side, Michael Moore will probably get the start at the beginning of the year. Moore seems to have gotten over his early career dropsies and looked very sharp in the bowl game. With his size and (hopefully) his hands, he could take the step up that MoMass did his senior year. Everything is in place from what I've heard from my UGA insider people. (Names will be withheld because you don't reveal sources.)

I cannot wait to see how the true freshman from Memphis Marlon Brown does. This guy was a huge get at the end of signing day and The Sporting News calls him the next Keyshawn Johnson. (I hope they mean receiving ability and not prima donna attitude) They will likely put this guy in on red zone plays and maybe move him around in motion to get him on linebackers or smaller corners.

Rantavious Wooten looks like another Santana Moss/Damien Gary-type (a bit undersized but can still run out to get it). Hopefully if he plays he can line up in the slot and run past some safeties.

Tavarris King took a redshirt last season, but did play a few snaps, including a LOOOOOOOONG catch against Arizona State. I got a chance to watch this guy play at Habersham Central and he just dominated. He has size and speed and could certainly make a splash this season. I like the potential of this guy from what I saw in his high school days and in the ASU game.

Israel Troupe is another lean, speed guy. I am not certain I'd want this guy going across the middle, but he can stretch the field and open things up underneath for Marlon Brown. I like that idea.

Aron White is a WR/TE mix who showed flashes last year of being able to catch the ball....something Tripp Chandler could never do consistently. He might be trying to add bulk to be a full-time but he is the only TE with playing experience that will start the season. Hey, he scored against Florida! And he might be Logan Gray's security blanket when Gray is on the field. Perhaps an Alge Crumpler/Mike Vick situation?

Arthur Lynch, the freshman from Mass. I think he is more of the blocking TE of the two freshmen, but he clearly has skills, otherwise why would UGA aka TE-U go after him?

Orson Charles has been promised some flex packages and at 6'3, he might be more of a receiver anyways. A redzone weapon if there ever was one: too fast for an LB to cover, too big for a CB, too quick for a safety. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy (Aaron Murray's security blanket!) has 6 TDs by the end of the season.

I am sure there are other guys that I'm leaving out but I think this collection will see the most playing time out there. And with Moore, Green and Brown with Charles and White, Joe Cox should come close to 20 TDs, IMO. Especially behind the line that he will sit behind. Accuracy is better than Stafford's and all he has to do is deliver the ball and let these guys make plays. And I believe they can. Cox could be the next Chris Weinke. Yeah, I said it. No heisman, but he will surprise a bunch of people and likely have people wondering "what if" he had played last season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can actually sense the desperation in your writing. Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking to me. I'll give you Green, after that you got nothing. Be afraid, very afraid. 45-42, suck it!

Wahoo wah! said...

well I WAS laying it on pretty thick.

I am thisclose to begin rooting for my childhood fav, UVA. At least the Hoos can beat Georgia Tech!

Anonymous said...

So we're talking lacrosse now? 45-42, suck it!