Thursday, June 18, 2009

Take the foreigner to win our national title

Normally I love rooting for the homeboys. Over the next few days I WILL be rooting for the homeboys. I will always root for the American over the foreigner when it comes to golf. However, I have to say that I think Geoff Ogilvy is going to come up from down undah and take about to the Land of Outback our National Title, the US Open. The last time the Open was held in New York, Ogilvy walked away with the title and I believe history will repeat itself.
Will I be openly cheering for AK47 and Phil and Tiger, yes of course. I'd love nothing more to see Anthony Kim vanquish the Australian kids or Phil outduel Paddy Harrington or Tiger make Henrik Stenson crap his pants.
But I don't think Phil can concentrate enough to win this week and I don't think Kim is having the type of year that he needs to take this trophy. And I just don't fully believe that Tiger is all the way back from his injury. Yes he looked good at the Memorial, but he looked good at Bay Hill too and then didn't make a move at the Masters. Of these three, he has the best shot, though I will say that Phil tends to play well at the Open when he has a distraction (remember 99 at Pinehurst with the pager?)

Bottom line, I think Ogilvy takes his second open because I like his game. I wish he was from Arkansas instead of Australia because then I could root for him. This weekend I will be rooting against him but betting on him.

No comments: