Tuesday, January 12, 2010

How will Tech fare next season?

Let me start by saying that I'm a Georgia grad (Class of '03. Go Dawgs) but I follow recruiting for 790 The Zone and Score Atlanta. I feel I'm just fine to objectively speak as to how the Yellow Jackets will do next season when they run that high school offense. (Sorry, I just had to do that. I promise, I'll be good.) Yesterday all three of the remaining juniors questioning a jump to the NFL decided to jump aboard the early entry train headed right to the NFL Draft and driven by Demaryius Bebe Thomas, who declared last Friday. Morgan Burnett, Derrick Morgan and Jonathan Dwyer all decided to skip out and really only Bebe surprised me, until I really thought about it. He led the ACC in yards per catch and most catches over 24 yards. Was he really going to help his draft case by sticking around and blocking for another season?
I thought Dwyer would follow the Knowshon school of thought of heading out once your stock is high enough and getting paid to be hit. Dwyer is mocked up as a late first rounder and he HAS to go. Why take the abuse of an A-back when you can get first round money to learn behind LDT? I'd take the money.
Morgan Burnett also quasi-surprised me because all of the Tech folks I talked to said he was likely coming back. I considered him to be the third best safety in the draft behind Berry and Mays and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ahead of Reshad Jones.
Derrick Morgan, I guess is good. He's in the Michael Johnson category for me. I've seen Tech play a bunch and no Derrick Morgan play really sticks out in my mind. Sorry Tech fans.

But how will next season be on The Flats? Well, I do think that Tech will take a step back, and that has NOTHING to do with my being a Georgia fan. You will.

I know, I know, Nesbitt will still be there running the offense. But replacing Dwyer with Anthony Allen (who yes scored in the Orange Bowl, but if he was uber-talented, wouldn't he have been on the field more than he was this season? And is he a B-back or an A-back?) Roddy Jones is back as an A-back and freshman Charles Perkins will get some looks. I loved the Collins Hill star all season long, but as much as I liked him, he really was impressive only against the weaker teams. I saw him bottled up against Peachtree Ridge (ie a REAL high school defense, but even PTR wasn't as bonified as they usually are) and he was bottle up in the playoffs.

Bebe will be "replaced" by Stephen Hill but as freak of an athlete that Hill is, he isn't as physical as Thomas was. Thomas was a WR in a TE's body that could still run away from you. What if Hill has to make a tough catch while being double teamed next season? Will his body be able to take the pounding he's about to get after the catch like Bebe's body could take? I don't know if it will. It could not right now.

Moving over to the defensive side of the ball. Let's forget who we're replacing right now and remember that ALL of these guys will be learning a new system. If it is Al Groh's system, it will be a 3-4 which I don't think ANY of these guys were brought in here to play. (And before you shout, "None of the offensive players were brought in for the option!" I'll say that CPJ hasn't gotten the players that Gailey got. Sorry. But he hasn't. deal with it. You might have hated Gailey, but he was a better recruiter.)
OK, so who is replacing Derrick Morgan? Anyone currently on the roster? Maybe one of the freshmen like Shawn Green or Denzel McCoy. Let me let you in on a little secret...McCoy is a bit overhyped. McCoy was dominated by Centennial's David Yankey and I think he'll be a tackle. Green meanwhile is a DT and an undersized one at that. But Greene has a motor. I think GT got a STEAL with this kid. But he's a NT with Tech, not an end. Where is the pressure coming from here? Will he fit in the 3-4? Usually those NTs are HUGE spaceeaters. He isn't that...at least not yet.

Now to Morgan Burnett. Maybe one of the reasons he left was potentially a playing time decrease. The defensive secondary recruiting class ranks near the top of the country (though behind Georgia's with Ogletree and the kids from Florida...if they stick...) with Ryan Ayers, BJ Bostic and Isaiah Johnson. Ayers and Bostic are likely the corners AS FRESHMEN with Johnson splitting time with that cat that had the pick-6 in the Orange Bowl (though he was burned a few times TOO in that game.)

The recruiting class for Tech has been pretty solid thus far, but it just isn't what Tech used to bring in under Gailey and O'Leary. Sorry but that is a fact. CPJ will try and spin it that he doesn't care about those rankings and he is recruiting for a system that isn't highlighted by the top players on Scout and Rivals, but talent is talent. Replacing Dwyer with Perkins is a step back. Replacing Morgan with McCoy is a step back. Thomas with ... (I'm not certain what recruit will take his place, though I believe it will be Hill, who will be a sophomore). And when Nesbitt leaves, Synjyn Days? Jaybo Shaw? neither of those two gets my toe a-tappin'. Days looked good early in the season, but wore down as the season wore on. Not a good sign in HIGH SCHOOL. What about when the LBs graduate? What about when the OLine runs out of Gailey players? Caitlin Alford? really?

Tech will continue to win 8-9-10 games a year (conceivably) but isn't that what Gailey was doing? Oh, he never beat CMR and Georgia. Last time I checked, Johnson just lost one to Richt. Yes you won a watered down ACC, but it looks like VaTech is back after a down year and Miami, well they smoked you last year, is bringing in another big haul. Can Shannon coach them up? If he doesn't, take your PICK for replacement coaches. UNC looks like they'll be back next year and FSU seems to have found a recruiting spark with Jimbo at the helm. Not Certain Tech can stay with those guys and that talent. We've seen what Tech's scheme does going against pure talent....The ACC is getting better. As an SEC fan, I'll be the first to say that. (is it at the SEC level? No. The ACC has ONE BCS title, back in 1999-2000, the SEC has the last four IN A ROW)

I just wonder about how the talent will be brought in and if, once the current talent leaves, will Tech slide back to middle tier? Will CPJ refuse to let that happen because OF his scheme? It will be interesting. Just know that his first few recruiting classes have NOT been CCG-like. Yes he beat Georgia in year one and the ACC in year two. Kudos to him. The four juniors departing present an interesting crossroads for Gailey. Once Nesbitt leaves, we'll see what happens. As a Georgia fan, I'm ROOTING for a slide, but we shall see. I think Tech goes 9-3 next year with a loss to Georgia. After that......very very interesting.

No comments: