Saturday, April 11, 2009

Four from Score.....Brian McCann

SportsbyFletch caught up with Brian McCann before Saturday's game against Washington.

You’ve been back for a few weeks now from the World Baseball Classic, so you’ve had a chance to work with all of the new additions to the pitching staff. Do you think the new guys will work out?
-Absolutely, that’s one of the strengths of our team, our starting pitching and it has shown the first week of the season.

You’ve been batting cleanup to start the season. Do you feel comfortable there and is it something you’ll look to do for the entire season?
-Yeah, I think this is going to be my role. When we traded Teixeira last year, I stepped into the four-hole and I think that’s where I’m going to hit in the lineup for sure.

On a random day, would you rather be 3-3 at the plate or 3-3 from behind the plate throwing out would-be base stealers?
-Depends. If we win the game, either/or, flip a coin I really could do both.
You are trying to take a little more pride from behind the plate and being a defensive catcher.
-Yeah, but you know, if you get three doubles in a game, that’s hard to do, so flip a coin, I’d like to do both.

I had a chance to watch the World Baseball Classic and I saw in one of the games they had you out in leftfield. Should Garrett Anderson and Matt Diaz be concerned about you going to Bobby Cox and asking for a position change?
-(Laughs) I think my position is behind the plate. I’m not going to do anything other than probably catch my whole career.
You don’t think you’d go three straight years to the all-star game in leftfield?
-(Laughs) probably not.

No comments: