Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Midweek entertainment report 4/8/09

A Bad week for Indian-Americans, Idol doesn't mess up YAHOO!, UNC is NOT the best ever and LONG LIVE OBAMA FRIED CHICKEN!

Ladies and gentlemen, the MIDWEEK ENTERTAINMENT REPORT!!!!!!


CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP!

I first want to respond to Yahoo!'s misleading headline on today's front page: American Idol did NOT mess up last night. The show was scheduled to end at 9:02 according to my Charter digital TV and while YES the show went two minutes long, if you missed the Adam Lambert performance because you were TiVoing it....shame on you. That was amazing and if he had not scooped up to hit that falsetto not at the end (which no human male alive SHOULD be able to hit anyways and he still got there) I would have called it FREAKING amazing. So if you were planning on catching the show later, tough noogies. I am sick of the TiVo cult complaining because their show got cut off. You want to MISS your show? You take your chances. That's my thoughts on it.
But on to Idol....Yes, Gokey is a good singer but I am just not a fan. Will he make the final four? Probably. But am I rooting for him? No. Was he good last night? yes, but I could not name what song he did. Forgetable as Simon would say.
I like Kris Allen but I fear that America doesn't realize that he is the Brian McCann of this show. Lil Rounds? Can she just go home yet? Wifey commented that skirts aren't supposed to go over your butt then come BACK to your legs. And how come NOT ONE of the judges has pointed out that she wears a different wig each week?
That should be pointed out...
Anoop, wow between he and Kutner on Monday, this has NOT been a good week for Indian-Americans.
Allison is incredible for a 16 year, considering she sounds like she should be holding a cigarette and a scotch. Is she secretly a 50 year old that has been smoking and drinking for the last 35 years?
Justin-lyte aka Matt was wearing a hat, thankfully, covering up his moleymoleymoleymole.
And finally Adam....cannot say enough. He might just be the best this show has EVER had. Best performer in the show's history. Just saying.....

UNC took down Michigan State instead of UConn and beat Nova in the F4 instead of Pitt, but the Heels' run cannot be a knock on why they are not simply one of the best teams of the last 27 years. I had a discussion with Paul Mac, SBF correspondent and resident Tar Heels fan about where this team ranks in terms of best we've ever seen. He was refusing to call this team the best ever (like ESPN and hack/lazy radio hosts have a tendency to do these days) and while I agree, I put them in my top five of teams I have ever seen in my 27 years on the planet. I've watched a TON of college basketball and consider myself a huge fan (especially compared to the NBA which I could do without). I think this UNC team is better than the 08 Kansas team, the 06 & 07 Florida teams (I think the PG play is what puts UNC over Florida), 05 UNC team, 04 UConn, 03 Cuse, 02 Maryland, 01 Duke, 00 MSU (with Cleeves and MoPete), 99 UConn and Duke (barely). I think this squad runs away from the Arkansas teams of 94&95 and can slow down the 96,97,98 UK teams and the 95 UCLA teams. I think 97Arizona is a tad inexperienced vs this team. I think UNC is better than the Laettner Dook teams. I think the 89 Michigan team was lucky and Louisville, Kansas and Nova were not as good as this one. 84 Georgetown, whatever. 83 NCSU-pssh.
That takes us back to the first NCAA title team where THIS GUY was breathing: 1982 UNC. As talented as that team was with MJ, Perkins, Worthy, etc., Dean Smith was still slowing those guys down enough that I think the 09 edition runs right by them. I think they just outscore them. Defensively the 82 team was prolly better, but this team could play Defense when it needed to.
In my top 5 of teams on the Fletcher Generation...
5) UConn '99 Rip Hamilton and company were pretty loaded that year. Big shot after big shot and Khalid-El-Amin and Jake Voskull (spelling?)
4) Duke '99 Elton Brand (#1 overall that year), Corey Magette (#10? maybe), William Avery (#14) Trajon Langdon (mid-20s I believe). Plus Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer and Shane Battier off the bench as a frosh. What a championship game that was. Two GREAT teams slugging it out. WOW. I wish that was a best of 7. Duke would have won that series I think. And PS, I think this Duke team was better than the Boozer/Battier/JasonWilliams/MikeDunleavy team of a few seasons later.
3)UNC 2009 This team is better than the 05 team depth-wise. As far as 1st round picks, if we could redo the 2005 draft, I don't think Marvin is the #2, Felton is a top ten, McCants is a 1st round or May is a first rounder. Psycho T is a late first rounder, Lawson is a late first rounder, Wayne Ellington is a teen pick and Ed Davis might be the highest drafted and he is likely going to stick around
2) Fab Five 92 and 93. WOW. Those teams were amazing. They really SHOULD have won at least one title. If CWebb was back in 93-94, they would have maybe gone undefeated, but I cannot use the youth excuse because the Florida 06 team was JUST as young. So blame the coaching?
1) UNLV in 1990. LJ, Anthony, plastic man....WOW those teams were amazing and would have repeated if the fix had not been on. UNSTOPPABLE.

honorable mentions...Florida '07, Arizona 01 (Gardner, Arenas, Woods, Walton, Richard Jefferson. Whoa)

Finally, I saw THIS in the AJC....
The manager of Obama Fried Chicken says the New York City restaurant now plans to keep its name despite protests. Mohammad Jabbar said Tuesday the owner has changed his mind about replacing the sign on the front of the Brooklyn business. He says the name was chosen as a tribute to the president and four out of five customers support it. The restaurant is in Brownsville, a predominantly black neighborhood.

Activist Kevin McCall says the name is "very offensive to African Americans." Another protest is planned for Saturday.

The White House says the administration disapproves of using the president's name and likeness for commercial purposes. It has not commented directly on the issue of racial overtones in the restaurant's name.

First off, the White Hosue and the administration disapprove of using the president's anme and likeness for commercial purposes? Unless THEY ARE GETTING A CUT? Hmmmmmmmmmmm. And really? Very offensive to African Americans, Mr. McCall? Why? Beacuse they sell fried chicken which is a stereotype? And does Mr. McCall speak for all African-Americans? Is Mohammad black? If I find ONE African-American that this doesn't offend, you need to be quiet Mr. McCall....Wait, I just found one. One of my co-workers is black and isn't offended. So Kev, SHADDUP. I wonder if you are also protesting the elementary school that has changed its name to Obama Elementary.
And I doubt Obama really cares about a fried chicken joint in Brooklyn. He is too busy shooting segments for SportsCenter and appearing on Leno to notice things like this chicken restaurant or unemployment.

Thanks everybody! Have a great rest of your Hump Day. And have a great Passover!

No comments: