Friday, September 16, 2011

The Fletcherisn'twatchingUGAthisweekend Picks!

I was PISSED last week. It almost felt like 2002 again, back when I couldn't talk following a Georgia loss. Recently I've been taking the losses better because CMR has made losing such a common thing that I've gotten used to it. PS, that isn't a good thing. Well, maybe for my health it is. Regardless, I will NOT be watching the Georgia game tomorrow. I will be attending Suwanne Day. And working on the bathroom (this thing HAS to get finished sometime, right?). And before you say, "well the UGA game is on PPV so you couldn't watch it even if you wanted to!" I would say, "I could always go to a Taco Mac and watch it, dummy." But I am not. Nope. Take that Richt! PROTEST! On to the picks.

3 LSU @ 25 Miss State…You will need to believe me for this pick, but I TOTALLY knew LSU was going to win the game. Actually, who didn’t know that? The hangover Miss State had after losing the way it did to Auburn, there was no way the OTHER Bulldogs could have won this game. PS, LSU is PDG. And the craziest part: Zach Mettensexualassaulter isn’t the one doing it. It’s Jarrett Lee doing it. Well, the running game and defense, but that sounds like the recipe the Tigers had in 2003 and 2007. Looking like my LSU call in the SEC West is going to happen…

Friday 4 Boise State @ Toledo. Just when I was really starting to grow a measure of respect for Boise State, I remember that the Broncos do crap like this to piss me off. Boise State, you go out and knock off Georgia (made them look BAD) but then you go and schedule a MAC team when you play in the MWC? And you play on Friday nights? On a blue field? Stop with the gimmicks. If you want to be taken seriously, play the TOUGHEST non-conference schedule you can because even your new conference blows. Boise State, you should be pushing to be a member of the Big XII. Say, “OU, Texas, OSU, Don’t leave, we’ll join!” But NO, you’d rather play Toledo. If you want to be Big Boy Football (sorry Colin), then take measures to PLAY BIG BOY FOOTBALL. Stop with Fridays on blue fields. Broncos win this one easily.
Saturday

18 West Va @ Maryland: I love Maryland because I love Crabcakes and I love football. (And that’s what Maryland does, lest we forget). I also love Randy Edsall. However, West VA is just too talented for this Terp squad. I like Maryland in the ACC (just not against FSU), but I am thinking Chick-fil-A bowl ultimately for Maryland, not BCS. It will be losses like this that keep them from the BCS. Neers win this then return to Morgantown and throw burning couches off of frat house roofs. We should really do a study to see which is more depressing: throwing burning couches off of a frat house roof or TP’ing a couple of dead trees.

21 Auburn @ Clemson. Speaking of TP’ing dead trees, Auburn visits Clemson and Auburn never seems to do well in these early games (See 2006 vs Arkansas and 2006 vs Georgia.) Clemson has struggled so far this season, but perhaps they were playing opossum, waiting for Auburn. Awesome Opossum, that is. I believe the Tigers, Clemson version spring the upset and take down the Tigers, Auburn-style. Go Dabo. And Auburn loses the first of its eventual five for the 2011 season.

EMU @ Michigan. Michigan needed a miracle to beat Notre Dame. It will need to show up to beat EMU.

Penn State @ Temple. JoePa is excited that he will get to speak with the man that will take his place at PSU next year Al Golden. Wait, Al Golden left and Temple went out and hired that Addazio guy that messed up Florida’s offense and caused Urban Meyer to quit? And Urban is calling the game….awkward. JoePa, while confused, wins.

Pitt @ Iowa. This game is on ESPN2….which means the Pam Ward Dance party hits Iowa City! That Iowa/Iowa State game last week was great. Iowa State pulled out the OT win to claim the CyHawk trophy (so stupid). How will Iowa cope? Oh, by beating Pitt and then dancing all afternoon with Pam Ward in downtown Iowa City! (Not the capital by the way.)

Ole Miss @ Vandy: Ole Miss is bad. Vandy is not as bad. Vandy is still not GOOD, but they aren’t as bad as Ole Miss. Vandy is 2-0, make it 3-0. Someone tell ADGM to put the phone DOWN, Georgia doesn’t need James Franklin

Kansas @ GT. A Georgia Tech game on TV? Now Techies can play D&D online and watch the game at the same time! In all seriousness, this game was a Kansas win one year ago, which was a black eye (actually it is Navy Blue and Old Gold…whatever. It looks black.) for Paul Johnson. Will he have the team ready to go for the Jayhawks this year? He had better hope so. Seriously, you lose to KU again and ….well Tech won’t do anything about it because they don’t care about football. They cannot even sell out their 55,000 seat stadium.

Duke @ BC. I went to Boston a few years back but didn’t stop by Chestnut Hill. ( I was too busy watching Georgia lose to Okie State in a bar. I was stupid.)I did go to Fenway. That was fun. Walked by the Gahden. That was cool. Boston seems pretty neat, except for the people. Back to the game: boring. If this was basketball it wouldn’t really be interesting either. I am going with BC. Why? Because I have never picked Duke (don’t quote me on that) and I probably never will, unless we do a CBB picks piece during CBB season, but I don’t see that happening.

Coastal Carolina @ Georgia. The Dawgs had better win. That is all I’m going to say about it. Love Crowell by the way. I think three TDs. Wait, I won’t be able to watch it. So who cares. NO ONE GET HURT!

7 Wisco vs Northern Illinois: This game is at a neutral field I think someone told me. It had better be. I’ve never been to Madison, but I wouldn’t mind going there. Northern Illinois? I’ve been to Illinois a few times and I can say that if I never go back, that will be too soon. Wisco wins. Russell Wilson is a Richmond guy. Going with the Richmond guy.

U-Dub @ 11 Nebraska: I spoke with my Nebraska insider and he isn’t worried about the Huskers. (playing the Huskies. No? no laugh?) He still likes the defense. Still likes the offense. He isn’t worried. Nebraska at home…going with the Big Ten (+2) in this one.

15 Michigan State @ ND.Last year Michigan State won on a fake field goal. Gutsy. Sparty and company won’t need that this year. Notre Dame starts 0-3. You still liking a BCS bowl Lou? Wait, let me rethink that pick. ALL of the officials will be paid by NBC for a victory. Maybe I should switch my pick. Hmmmm. I’ve picked FOR Notre Dame the last two weeks. Irish fans, you LIKE that I’m picking against them to play like Champions Saturday.

Tennessee @ 16 Florida. I remember when this game was the de facto SEC East championship. Now it is to see who goes to the Outback Bowl! Fun! (Because Georgia is winning out and going to either the Sugar Bowl or the CapitalOne Bowl. Just go with it!). Tyler Bray has looked good. Brantley has looked better. The Champ beats Dooley in a battle of UGA alumni (well, Dooley went to UGA law school!)

23 Texas @ UCLA. Losing coach gets fired on the spot? WHAT? Texas wouldn’t fire Mack Brown! Umm, he might get urged into retirement. All I am saying. Way to comeback last week, Mack! I was talking to Joey Bagofdoughnuts last weekend (he’s an Auburn fan) and he was asking if Georgia was going to go after Gary Patterson. I said no because Patterson wants to coach in a BCS conference (which he will next year) and Patterson is holding out for the Texas job. Patterson is Texas’s next head coach. No one else. GP isn’t coming to Georgia. (Texas wins BTW)

UVA @ UNC. I went to the 1998 game between these two in UNC, and I must say that the Chapel Hill football stadium’s setting is beautiful. How Butch Davis never went to a BCS bowl game while there shows that he is ALL RECRUIT, NO COACH. UNC is a sleeping giant in the college football world. Just get a good coach in there and it can take off. UVa, I’d like to take you in this one, but you are one year away. Tar Heels take it.

Norhtwestern @ Army. This game is being played at West Point my Play-by-play partner Bob Houghton tells me. He wanted to go, but I think decided against it. I’ll ask him why TONIGHT on GPB.org/sports at 7:30pm! Colquitt County @ Warner Robins. Tune in! Northwestern wins.

Navy @ 10 SoCar: Steve Spurrier said he was lucky to win last week and he was. Oh well. This game won’t help Georgia if SoCar loses, so WIN South Carolina. Start losing when you resume SEC play!

Louisville @ Kentucky. Joker! Chaz Strong! The Battle of the Bluegrass! Imagine how different this season would be if Georgia had kept its date with Louisville instead of dumping them for Bosie State. Hmmmm. I don’t know if Georgia would have beaten Louisville though. Chaz Strong is building something up there. I am worried for Joker. But he has Josh Clemons, so he wins at home.

17 OhioState @ Miami: I know a few Ohio State grads (poor me, I know) and they were going to go down to the game but the suspensions scared them away. I don’t know why. The Buckeyes will still win. I would say Poor Al Golden, but he did this to himself when he said Jacory Harris would be the starter.

1OU @ 5 FSU Will Sooner Boom or go boom? Apparently the Sooners are just 2-10 against top five teams in the last decade or something. Landry Jones throws 70% of his interceptions on the road…whatever. I say Oklahoma wins it because of Landry Jones, Ryan Broyles and the fact that Seminoles are, right now, where the Sooners were last year: one year away but still in a BCS bowl year. The Seminoles will make a BCS bowl, OU will make THE BCS bowl.

6 Stanford @ Arizona Nick Foles and the Wildcats crapped the bed last Thursday against Okie State in Stillwater. I expect Foles and the Wildcats to have a MUCH better showing at home against Stanford. That said, Stanford wins. But closer than ya think.

Pro Picks: Eagles over Falcons. Washington TO THE SUPERBOWL BEHIND TOUCHDOWN TIMMY HIGHTOWER!
Upset pick: Clemson?
Lock of the week: Wisconsin
Local: Georgia Tech and Georgia both win. AND ATHENS GOES CRAZY WITH EXCITEMENT! Or to their cars in the third quarter when Hutson Mason comes into the game.

No comments: