Friday, September 9, 2011

The Picks hates Georgia (gotta try something new)

I will be running a 10K tomorrow. My buddy the Commish believes this to be quasi-communist behavior, but I will actually be finished with the running (hopefully) by the time GameDay starts on ESPN. I was originally worried about my time but after watching some people try and attack the treadmills at the gym, I think I'll be OK. PLUS I get a shirt. I am a whore for a free t-shirt. (well it isn't really free, but it sort of is...) Let's move on to the picks.

Oregon State @ 8 Wisco The Beavers lost last week to Sacramento State, ranked No. 4 in the country. Wait, what? Sacramento State isn’t ranked No. 4 in the country? What? Oh crap Mike Riley. If you lost to Sacramento State, how in the WORLD do you think you’ll beat Russell Wilson and the rest of the Badgers? I would select this one for the lock of the week….but I’ll go elsewhere.

Toledo @ 15 Ohio State Oh, good to see the new Ohio State coaching staff still scheduling every crappy Ohio school available, just like the old coaching staff. What, was the Ohio School for the Blind too busy? Perhaps the Cleveland Typing College couldn’t make the trip to Columbus?

FAU @ 17 Michigan State I wonder if Janovitz thinks Michigan State is playing FIU? He cannot tell those two schools apart. Sparty easily glides to victory. Come on. Though I did see a great shirt last week in the UF/FAU game: I’m an Owl-coholic. Nice. I wanted one. Do they get the Give a Hoot Owl to be their mascot? Or do they get the one from the Tootsie Pop commercial? Or is it just a screech owl? Is SCREECH their mascot? He needs the money. PS, East Lansing get ready, you missed out on Tosh.0 but you ARE getting Pam Ward’s dance party! This weekend!

Iowa @ Iowa State. Ahhh the battle for Iowa. Is this game played near the Field Of Dreams? Will Kevin Costner flip the coin? Will iowa state try and join the Big10(+2) after the Big XII folds? Will Iowa just pretend that they aren’t aware of ISU? I would. And I’ve said this before but I will say it again: when TAMU leaves for the SEC and OU, Okie State, Texas and Texas Tech leave for the Pac 12, the MWC should go after KU, KSU, Iowa State, Mizzou and BYU to make the MWC a BCS conference. I’d respect it (sort of) then. Make it happen Boise State.

CMU @ Kentucky The Wildcats are taking on that building right off 285 near Sandy Springs? Wait, there is a REAL CMU? I don’t believe it. Nope. Not real. Kentucky is playing that school off 285. And they will win.

16 Miss State @ Auburn This game is on Peachtree TV? WOW. That is a HUGE get for Peachtree TV. Thank goodness Andre Ware will be there to break down the SEC. In all seriousness I will throw a bone here to that red-headed Auburn kid that looked like he was going to cry last week when Utah State had just scored to go up 10 with 4 to play: Auburn wins this one and congrats you guys can go and throw toilet paper on your dead trees. Where will Auburn people celebrate when these trees get taken down? Where is the next location they will vandalize to celebrate wins? Still not as bad as lighting couches on fire and throwing them off of frat houses. West Virginia, I’m looking at you!

Rutgers @ UNC. Bryn Renner was 22-23 last week against JMU. 227 yards and two TDs. Rutgers’ secondary was awful last year. I am expecting Renner to tear it up again. This will be Rutgers’ first trip back to Tobacco Road since 2006 and all Rutgers folks like to point to 2006 like it was some magical season. That year the Scarlet Knights went to the Texas Bowl. I guess my definition of “magical” means something different than theirs….

3 Alabama @ 23 Penn State Oh, HERE is my lock of the week. I will be going against The Body’s NEW Alma mater (Kudos and apologies Paul Mac) and taking the Tide. I know Bama’s two QBs each threw two picks one week ago. It doesn’t matter. Trent Richardson still plays for the Tide and that is enough for me. Penn State’s QB situation isn’t exactly crystal as Col. Jessup likes to say. I’ll take Saban over the 174-year-old that will be in the booth because it is closer to the bathroom.

6 Stanford @ Duke Andrew Luck still plays for Stanford, right? He does? Cool. Go with Stanford. And PS, if I am a Duke student/alum (shoot me) I wonder HOW CAN STANFORD BUILD A TEAM YET WE CANNOT? Then I wait for basketball season to start and the world to hate me. PS, that Beth Mowins chick is calling this game and unlike Mike Bell, I thought she did an OK job last week in Auburn. She didn’t know the name of the stadium, but otherwise she was light-years better than Pam Ward. AND she is on ESPNU, which not a lot of people watch, so at least ESPN is covering her up….unlike Ward.

Nevada @ 13 oregon The Ducks got rocked. Thanks. You really gave SBF a ton of credibility there with that performance. Nevada beat Boise State last year, something Georgia couldn’t do last week. Does that mean Nevada is better than Georgia? Likely. But without last year’s QB, Nevada won’t touch Oregon.

NC State @ Wake. I love Tom O’Brien. I don’t like Wake’s program right now. Going with the Pack. (I wonder if NC State would want to jump to the SEC. They will ALWAYS be third-class citizens in their own city behind UNC and Duke. And the SEC would probably like to get into the NC market. They are from the east, so the balance would equal out….they’d never go for it.)

Cincy @ Tennessee So Tyler Bray made a gesture towards the sidelines last week? So what? It was against Wyoming or some other crappy cupcake team. The kid has moxie. It will serve him well when Zach Callaros is outplaying him in this one. Still, take Dooley and company.

UAB @ 18 Florida Hey Muschamp, way to break out the big guns in your first two games. Is Jim Tressel scheduling your games now? I would have enjoyed watching this game if Rush Propst had taken the UAB job. On a plus note, though it is one HECK of a drive, I get to call Colquitt’s game next week.

New Mexico @ 14 Arkansas I am still trying to figure out why in the world Jack Kelly wanted to leave New York for New Mexico back in 1899. Still trying to figure it out. I can understand wanting to get out of New York, but Santa Fe? Go with the Hogs.

Virginia @ Indiana Daddio thinks that UVa is BACK after that huge win over William & Mary last week. Now the Hoos hit the road for Indiana. I don’t get the Big10(+2) network so I cannot watch, but you HAVE to think this game will be slightly more exciting than watching paint drying. Less so than watching grass grow (sometimes there are bugs!) but more than paint drying! UVa Football folks!

Utah @ USC Welcome to the Pac-12 B*tch. I wonder if USC hires Chris Carmack to deliver that line via a jumbotron before kicking a Mormon in the nuts. USC wins. Duh.

UConn @ Vandy. As much as I want to go with SEC PRIDE, UConn has Paul Pasqualoni on its sidelines, the WINNINGEST coach in Big East history! Charlie Sheen! Wait, I’ll still go with Vandy.

Notre Dame @ Michigan the first night game in Big House history. I don’t care. Michigan should be 0-0 right now because the Wolverines never finished its game last week. Why in the world should people care that Michigan is FINALLY playing a night game? This game is between two teams that will both go to crap bowls? Oh yeah, the “winningest” program in NCAA history against the one that thinks it is the most important in NCAA history. Go with the Rudys.

NFL Games
Falcons @ Bears. Jay Cutler broke up with Kristin Cavallari. Cavallari (way hotter than LC, FYI) was so torn up over it she has decided to dance out her feelings on DWTS. Wifey thinks she has a manly voice. PS, when is Kevin Bacon going to be on DWTS? When will his career tank SO MUCH that he has to reduce himself to that show? Soon I hope. Take the falcons

UPSET AND LOCK Specials....
UPSET SPECIAL: Mizzou @ Arizona State. I believe it was Ned Flanders that once said, “Gee, I guess Heaven is as easy to get into as Arizona State.” Ned, ASU may be easy to get into but not easy enough for quality football players since Jake the Snake was under center. This year’s Arizona State squad though has a stout defense, led by this Vontaze Burfict character, dubbed the “Meanest man in college football” by The Sporting News. Take that for what it is worth. I will take Arizona State in this one.
LOCK O THE WEEK: 3 Alabama @ 23 Penn State Oh, HERE is my lock of the week. I will be going against The Body’s NEW Alma mater (Kudos and apologies Paul Mac) and taking the Tide. I know Bama’s two QBs each threw two picks one week ago. It doesn’t matter. Trent Richardson still plays for the Tide and that is enough for me. Penn State’s QB situation isn’t exactly crystal as Col. Jessup likes to say. I’ll take Saban over the 174-year-old that will be in the booth because it is closer to the bathroom.

Local rooting interest:
GT @ MTSU. For the second straight week GT can ONLY be seen over the internet. ESPN is hitting their target audience SPOT ON! PS, I fear I was a little mean towards the Tech Nation this week in TheFletch. Head to www.scoreatl.com or pick up a copy at Kroger RIGHT NOW. (or just wait until Monday when I post TheFletch right here)

12 South Carolina @ Georgia I don’t even want to pick this one. I would HATE to pile on. Stephen Garcia is so dumb, but he proved last week that he could pull an OJ yet Spurrier (through poor recruiting, I guess?) will still play him because he has NO ONE ELSE! But South Carolina probably wins this one. And Mark Richt likely gets even snippier with the media next week. It’s great to be a Georgia Bulldog and all but…

No comments: