Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Paul Mac's QB thoughts on the upcoming draft

This is a post special to sportsbyfletch. One of our correspondents, Paul Mac brings his thoughts on the upcoming NFL draft and should QBs be taken early...

I don't think Brian Brohm should be a first rounder. He will be, it might be brady quinn style, but he will be. Has he even made a splash at all at the combine or in private workouts? It seems like he's completely fallen off the radar.

Depends on who you ask really I think. Definitely not a major media story. People do seem to like him a lot he just didn't have as good a year last year because of all the changes. I'm not sure there is THAT much difference between Ryan and Brohm or Henne and Booty for that matter. Flacco I know is going to need some time similar say to Matt Schaub. I don't think anyone of the guys is a superstar yet without say 3 years in the league and that's why even though I like a lot of QB's in this draft and wouldn't be upset if they were on my team I don't see that any of them are worth a high first round pick when they could wind up with almost the same level of competence cheaper in the draft. I don't believe in drafting the position simply because they are the best at an important position. I don't have a big value board like teams do, but with any team in the top 10, I think they should take the highest rated player available to them on the board regardless of position. Screw "need" to an extent. Pay the most money to the best football player you can get... If you think they are an amazing athlete you can go with upside but it's risky. I'd rather have the most seasoned ready to play guy I can get than a tremendous "Upside" early. That's why last year I liked Amobi Okoye because he had (both). Patrick Willis (both) and Glenn Dorsey (both) the Falcons took a guy with an incredibly large Upside in Anderson but only 1.5 years at the position so they knew there was a steep learning curve, they could have had Okoye who was dominant in College a graduate at 19 and ready to play NOW... they blew it a little even if Anderson is better this year.... Okoye is only freaking 20 and he's almost pro bowl caliber now. Ryan and Brohm have a great deal of starting experience but it takes longer to adjust to the speed of the game at that level especially if you have a crappy line. I think Rothlisburger has become so good so soon because he has so many great football players around him.... that's not going to happen in this years top 5. Without lines, it doesn't matter how good your skill players are, see Randy Moss Oakland.

To answer the question, I think he has made a bit of a splash depending on who you ask but I think he's going to have a team fall in love with him that runs a specific system that plays to his strengths. That's why the steelers took rothlisburger and they nailed that one.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/conten ... bigc2.html

Basically, Brohm is still the most accomplished passer of everyone in the draft stat wise, he's got loads of experience, good size and can make every throw. I think it's a lot closer between him and Matt Ryan than anyone thinks but I still wouldn't take either one in top 10 but that's just me.

Ryan won some big games at the end in which his team and he played terrible and that's what people remember... the clutch throws to win it.

Atlanta Falcons.....making mediocrity look far worse.
Well done is always better than well said.

-Paul Mac

The one point I would disagree with is I think ALL Qbs should sit a year or two before starting, even if they are good enough to be a Number 1 pick. It helped Carson Palmer. Brad Johnson. Daunte Culpepper. Tom Brady. etc.....
I think people need to be patient when they take a top QB, but coaches do it sometimes to save their jobs. I say that if a coach is worried about coaching to save his job, he isn't coaching to benefit the team. Fire him and start over.

(it is the same problem with Dennis Felton at UGA. He is too worried about his job now to fully focus on the team. Move on, Georgia.)

No comments: