Monday, March 3, 2008

Who says people don't trade into the top 10 of the draft?

So I have been listening to my OWN station today and I must respectfully disagree with several of the hosts. They say that the hometown Altanta Falcons messed up by signing runningback Michael Turner to a big deal (which I agree with) because now they can't bluff taking Darren McFadden with the #3 overall. But the other host said that the point is moot because teams just don't trade up to the top 10 anymore. He then challenged the other hosts to name a team that traded up in the last 10 years. The other guys didn't say anything, I guess because the AJC hadn't laid out what to say for them. Baaaaaaaaaaaaa-ZING!
Well I say, teams DO trade into the top 10. And you want the last ten years...here you go Steaky!
2007-how about Brady Quinn last year, though that was the #22. The Browns traded the Cowboys. I will admit, this was outside of the top ten, but I just wanted something current.

2004- how about NY Giants trading the #4 (Philip Rivers) and 2005 #12 (Shawn Merriman) for #1 Eli Manning. Also, the Redskins trade a future first rounder for QB Jason Campbell @ #25

2003- New Orleans Saints trade #17 and #18 to move up to #6 to take DT Johnathan Sullivan, Junior, University of Georgia

2001- The Atlanta Falcons trade #5 (LDT), Tim Dwight, plus more picks for the #1 pick Michael Vick (now in JAIL)

2000- Washington Redskins trade a future #1 and a 3rd rounder to San Fran for the #2 overall pick (LaVarr Arrington)

1999- The New Orleans Saints trade the #12 overall, a 2,3,4,5,6,7 pick to the Washington Redskins for the #5 pick (Ricky Williams). The Redskins in turn trade the #12 and their OWN third and fifth for the #7 overall pick (Champ Bailey)

JUST the last 10 years

Now, my co-host Paul Mack asked me how many of those trades really worked out...
well let's see.....
Brady Quinn gets a grade of N/A

2004-Eli Manning JUST WON THEM A SUPERBOWL
Jason Campbell is still the starter in Washington

2003-Bust. I'll admit it

2001-Michael Vick WAS the franchise if you ask my good
buddy Paul Mack!

2000-Chris Samuels at #3 was a Pro Bowler this year and LaVarr at #2 was a Pro Bowler during Washington. He left because he didn't fit in the system and he wanted a huge payday. He has been shite since.

1999-The Saints screwed themselves with Ricky when they took Deuce McCallister and messed with Ricky's head. As for the Skins trading up for Champ...he was a shutdown corner, BEST in the league. Why they felt the need to trade him AND a second rounder to Denver for Clinton Portis is beyond me. While Portis is fantastic, I think Champ would still look good as a Skin.

So teams DO still trade up. I think the Falcons can STILL send the #3 (McFadden) to the Cowboys for the #21 and #28, but I fear Atlanta will take Jake Long at #3. Nothing against Jake Long, I think he should be a top ten pick, but not in the top 3. He strikes me as a 7 or 8. I think, just by watching this guy, he is a Right Tackle in the NFL. He is a runblocker, not so much a pass blocker. And you will have to pay him #3 money which he shouldn't get this early. 10 years from now, will he still be in the league, probably, but why not try and get him later in the top 10 or let a team trade you more picks to help your team, you take the kid from Boise State at #21 and maybe a Dlineman at #28. Or a CB.

No comments: