Thursday, March 27, 2008

Why would England have trusted Benedict Arnold?

No music blog today, more history ponderations. I was again reading my almanac in the bathroom yesterday, and once again I was browsing the history section and came across September 23, 1780, the day that Benedict Arnold was made a brigadier General in the British Army. This marked his official traitor turn against America.

My question is, Why would Britain choose to trust this guy? He sold out his fellow army members and the men he had led for many battles. This guy was a traitor to his new country (But, I guess if you look at it, the rest of the American leaders were traitors to England, but I am not going there). I guess if Benedict Arnold had been loyal to England the whole time like that one guy in The Patriot, he wouldn't have been a traitor, but he OPENLY fought FOR the US early on and THEN switched to the English side. Did he think that maybe England was going to win and he wanted to jump on the bandwagon? Does he go to England after the war when GB loses and does GB even want him after he fails to deliver a victory?

I just don't know how England could trust the guy that betrayed his own country. Did they think he wouldn't do the same to them? It reminds me of the stripper that trusts the guy that left his wife for her. After he marries the stripper, she doesn't think that MAYBE he will leave her for another stripper? (Or Hooter's Girl if we are talking about one Chipper Jones.)

Or it is like if you "stole" a coach from another school, should you really be surprised when he suddenly leaves your school for a better offer? Bobby Petrino comes to mind here. Up and leaves Louisville then up and leaves the Falcons. The Arkansas Razorback people should be holding their breathes EVERY Time Petrino's phone rings.

But back to Arnold. I just don't think if I was King George or Cornwallis or ANYBODY English, I could have trusted him. He was so willing to turn on his country like that, maybe if he was any good, the US would have not let him. He would have been so high up with Washington, perhaps that he would have had no reason. Arnold clearly had a reason to turn (not getting the promotion, no respect, whatever). I think he was maybe unhappy with how everything was going down and he wasn't getting the enough of the credit. But his turn certainly didn't have the effect of Hulk Hogan turning to the nWo. THAT sent shock waves through the wrestling industry. Arnold's turn was like when the Giant turned nWo, but at that time the Wolf Pack had already split off and the Giant was just a big goober that was forced to leave WCW because of his turn. Yep. Benedict Arnold was like the Giant. HE thought it was a big deal, but he added nothing and, in fact, may have led to the downfall of England.
I am sure Washington probably thought, after he heard the news, "Oh yeah Benedict? You wanna turn? FINE! I am making you my whipping boy for the rest of this war!"

And America won. Poor decision there Arnold! But whatever. We obviously didn't need you to secure the win.

No comments: