Monday, March 10, 2008

People who THINK they have more power than they do

I was picking up the Bride-to-be from the airport last night and I was doing the circle thing in the terminal parking lot until she called and then I told her where to meet me as I parked to get her in the car. Well as she was walking up, an "Atlanta Police Truck" came up behind me and started honking for me to move. Even though it was obvious I was waiting on the Bride-to-be to get to the car. I was the only car around and she was walking straight towards me. Anyways, this tool bag kept honking and honking, then as I got out to open the trunk and I was FULLY in the pull over lane, I left the door slightly cracked, he honked again, and was pointing towards the AGAIN, SLIGHTLY opened door.
Well of course I had to make a production out of it. I walked around to the door, but before shutting it, I stepped in front of his car to see if he could have KEPT GOING IN HIS LANE without hitting it, and SURE ENOUGH, he could have. I also made a point to look in the other lane that he could have gone into to pass me, and it was empty. I made the swirving motion with my hands so he could see me, and he honked again. What a loser.
Here is my point. He wasn't going to do anything except honk. Really? Is that the ATL Police (airport parking detail)'s best strategy? Honk? That will put people in a good mood. At NO POINT did it appear he was going to get out and do anything. Then I started to think. What could he have done? Given me a ticket for being parked in a temporary parking spot? Give me a ticket for doing NOTHING illegal? Nope. All he COULD Do was honk.
And that got me thinking....who, besides this guy THINK they are so important, but really they DON'T have the power they think they have?

I came up with a little list.
1 Anybody on a bus. The Bus driver. The Bus monitor. Even people ON a bus. Think about it. The bus has stops and the driver thinks everyone else on the road owes them something, but the truth is, the buses would be out of business if it were up to the people on the bus. They wished they had a car and didn't have to sit next to the smelly homeless guy that somehow doesn't have money to eat, but does have money to buy a bus ticket? And everyone saying "Oh I ride the bus because it is better for the environment." Really? That gas guzzling thing is BETTER than going out and buying a hybrid? And the bus monitor in elementary school? I would laugh at that kiss-@ss as he tried to butter up the the driver. The kid would tell you to get in your seat, and you were just like, "Shut up LOSER! I'll turn around if I want to! What are you going to do? Make me get off on the corner instead of dropping me off at my house?"

2 The Starbucks baristas. These people think they are the guardians to Coolland because they make Starbucks coffee. Well I have news for you....YOU MAKE COFFEE. That's IT! You make coffee and wear a stupid headset. Yeah, you think that headset makes you look cool? I Have news for you. The good people at McDonalds wear those things too! Yep! They do. And they make french fries. You just make coffee. And if you think you have power over the customers, is having power over wannabe poseurs really a cool thing? You are simply ruling over the people that were bus monitors in elementary school. They know that the coffee tastes the same at a gas station, but they are going to Starbucks because it is a status thing. Not sure why, but the Starbucks people thinking that SERVING these people gives them a power? Last time I checked YOU ARE STILL SERVING them. HOPING they tip you. Yeah. Shut up.

3 The Assistant hostess at a restaurant. You walk in and there are TWO people at the hostess stand. The only one I care about is the one with the pen and the list. The other one is pointless. I understand that you need several hostesses, one to keep the list, the others to walk the people to tables. But the one that stands just to the right of the hostess that DOESN'T walk to tables, DOESN'T hand out the pager/flashing coaster? What is her deal? She just stands there and says crap like, "Do you have a reservation?" (no) DEEP INHALE OF AIR "yeshshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No reservation? Well the wait will probably be an hour." Then I LOVE IT when the buzzer goes off 20 minutes later and you go up there and hand HER the flashing coaster and you WANT to tap your watch and say "Nice hour," but you decide to take the high road. WHY? Because the view is better. (And you don't want her to spit in your food) But you realize that if you DON'T put her in her place, she will keep thinking she has this power. But the ONLY power she has is a faulty sense of time. Probably takes her 45 minutes to make minute rice

4 The ticket taker at a movie theater. Really? You have a rope and you think you are so cool because you can put the rope up and say "We haven't opened the theater up yet." WHy, have YOU not gone and cleaned out the trashed popcorn? And PS, you are Mr. Ticket collector, but if I have gone through I can STILL go out and get more popcorn and you can't stop me. But please, don't pretend like you didn't see me enter. You know my face. And I know people ALL the time GO to a movie theater just to buy popcorn and pretend they already paid. Give me a break man. You KNOW I paid to get it. I usually just walk past them even if they ask to me my ticket. Are they REALLY going to stop you? No. No they aren't. I can just RUN into the theater and since it is dark, you WON'T be able to find me.

Just like the Atlanta Policeman-airport parking detail. What are you REALLY going to do? Just honk. That's it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How about the people who walk across Peachtree Dunwoody regardless of whether a car is coming? I can't believe you left those jerks out!