Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I can feel a nosebleed coming on....

Since the University of Georgia Defense has melted into crap (and I TOO would like to go ahead and put it out there: I have no interest in becoming UGA's defensive coordinator. I heard Pollack do it yesterday when no one was mentioning his name. I figured EVERYONE should that isn't interested should go ahead and put the word out there.) and UGA is headed to a 10-2 season and a spot in the Cotton Bowl v Texas, I thought I should just come right out with my annual UGA basketball preview.

Before we get into the players, I want to say that Felton deserved to come back for THIS SEASON after winning the SEC Championship tournament. True the team still went 4-12, but for one magical weekend, Felton's boys caught lightning in a bottle and won the daggone thing. Awesome. But here is what I have to say now: he MUST make the NCAA tournament AGAIN to keep his job. I am sorry, but one fluke appearance doesn't warrant his being kept around. He MUST string something together. And he certainly didn't help his cause when Yata Gaines and Dave Bliss graduated and Bill Humphrey and Jeremy Jacobs both left the program. Not good. Not off on the right foot thar Dennis. (PS, did I mention that I saw Felton in the airport and he seemed focused. I would have said something to him, but I was wearing my Harrick's Hounds shirt. I bet he gets pissed when folks show up to the Steg wearing those.)

But one thing a conference tournament championship CAN bring you, and that is recruits. He already had Dustin Ware and Howard Trey Thompkins and Drazen Zlovaric in the bag, but the title no doubt brought him Travis Leslie of Columbia, Ebuka Anyaorah of North Gwinnett and has him in the running for South Atlanta's Derrick Favors (on a side note: if Favors DOES come to UGA and teams in the front court with Thompkins, this team ...wow...has a real shot at finishing .500 in league play. Sorry, I kid because I love.) I am really looking forward to seeing if Leslie can keep his hops or if Felton will let him (I saw this kid in the state championship game...WHAT AN ATHLETE!) We also have been hearing about Howard Thompkins for a while now. I want to see if this kid is the real deal, the way I was told Mike Mercer would be. IF Thompkins can deliver maybe UGA can get into the Big Dance as a 10 seed. UGA also has two transfers that might see some action this season in Tyler Whatley out of Wofford and Ricky McPhee of Gardner-Webb. Who knows about those two?

Ahhhh the lineup, at least in my mind.
-PG I think you have to have Soph Zac Swansey at PG, even though he seemed a bit better last year playing along side Sundiata Gaines. But sometimes he'd come in and run point and let Yata play the two.
-SG I would ahead and pencil Corey Butler in here. Butler is a senior, and I think he would be better coming off the bench, but Felton may start him at the start of the season, until Frosh Dustin Ware can play the point and have Swansey at the two, rotating MAYBE with Troy Brewer.
-SF I think HERE is where Terrance Woodbury plays. The wing. He might have to be the "Gaines" this season, playing nearly 40 minutes a game and leading the team. I hope the senior can finally step up. We've seen flashes, but hey TWOOD, put it together for longer stretches. Please. I'd put Travis Leslie behind this guy to learn the exact same role.
-PF Howard Thompkins. I know he's a frosh, but he is the most talented player to grace UGA since Jarvis Hayes. Let him play. Grow with him and watch him be dominant by the end of the year. KG-type of dominant. His backups should be Chris Barnes and Drazen Zlovaric
-C Albert Jackson. AJax turned it on at the end after not picking it up for whatever reason. Maybe Felton is finally getting through to him. (Is that a good thing?) He will have Jeremy Price backing him up and Chris Barnes can slide over here too.

My lineup ideally would be
Ware, Swansy, Woodbury, Thompkins, Jackson
with Butler, Price, Barnes, Brewer, Leslie and Zlovaric as my subs. Anyaorah could be mixed in too. I remember hearing good things about him last year. that is 12 people. Not certain that many people should be in a rotation, maybe early on, and then trim it down to 9. You might need that many big bodies though and having Anyaorah in there for size in the backcourt would be a good thing.

You also have to take into account Felton's doghousing people, the suspensions and injuries. The team last season was hit with all of the above. Way of life.

UGA was picked to finish 6th in the SEC East and 11th in the SEC overall. I just can't see that. I think they are better talent-wise than SoCar in the East and could maybe steal a game or two from UK, Florida and Tennessee at home. Possibly even go TO UK and win a game there. The problems are clear: young team, inexperience in the backcourt. But if Felton bottled ANY of that magic he had last season and can sprinkle over this team, it should be fun to watch. Later in the season of course, after these young colts learn to walk. If he can learn to stay out of their way enough to let them be themselves, maybe this team CAN make a run. Play the no respect card all the way to the Big Dance. I will be rooting hard for it. If you do, Derrick Favors could help this become a Sweet 16 team.

My prediction Best case: a 10 seed and a loss in the first round.
My prediction Worst case: another 4-12 SEC season and Felton gets fired. Wait, that's not so bad...
Crap, I need to go get a tissue. My nose is bleeding.

No comments: