Friday, February 27, 2009

Let's not outthink ourselves about the NFL draft

Paul Mac and Fletcher Proctor will be having multiple discussions about the NFL draft, which is still a few months away. But I thought I'd throw out my thoughts on the best guys at each position because we are hearing a lot of talk about how some players are disappointing scouts at the combine, while others are climbing. One guy in particular, Aaron Curry, the LB from Wake Forest. There is now talk he will be the #1 overall pick going to Detroit. Neither Paul Mac nor myself could recall any major plays this guy made. In fact, when we first heard local media and national media talking about a linebacker from WFU, we both assumed it was Alphonso Smith.

I understand that the NFL is littered with players plucked from nontraditional powers, but come on. Those guys are the exceptions, not the rules!

I knew who patrick willis was when sanfran drafted him. Curry, not so sure.

You want the best LB this draft? the Rey Mauluga kid from USC. DONE.

you want the best DT, the BC kid.

you want the best OT, Eugene Monroe. #2 Andre Smith. Don't care about his leaving the combine or getting suspended for the Sugar Bowl. I watched him play. The Baylor kid? NEVER HEARD OF HIM. Heck, I might even say Michael Oher is better. I'VE SEEN HIM PLAY!

best WR? Crabtree. WATCHED HIM PLAY. Maclin of Mizzou? Nice as a slot receiver/PR, but worthy of a top ten pick? NO. Percy Harvin? NOT worthy of a top 20 pick. HE GETS HURT!

best RB? Beanie Wells. he is the big back. KM24 will be the nice Tiki/JNor to a bigger back, but you MUST have a bigger back first. KM24 will need to be paired with an LDT in San Diego or a Michael Turner or a Larry Johnson in KC

best QB? Stafford. The arm, the throws, the experience. Sorry Dirty Sanchez. should MS7 go #1? not to me to decide, but he's the best qb

best TE, Pettigrew. DON'T CARE ABOUT 40 times for a FREAKING TIGHT END!

best CB Malcolm Jenkins. DON'T CARE ABOUT 40 TIME

We'll have more discussion as the draft approaches, but for now, THAT'S my list of the top guys.

No comments: