Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Midway point look at the NCAA BBall season

We might be a little farther into the 2008-09 men's basketball season than halfway, but I decided it would be a good time to look at the game after last night's Pitt win over UConn. UConn had it going in the first half, but DeJuan Blair took that game over in the second half and UConn is NO LONGER the #1 team in the country (and they shouldn't have been anyways). I don't know if this goes back to the football season with USC, but UNC should be #1 regardless of the fact that they lost two straight to open the ACC schedule. They have since beaten #6 Duke and #12 Clemson on the way to 9 straight wins. Their 3 point loss AT Wake Forest put the Demon Deacons to #1 in the land, but if the two played 9 more times, the Heels win 9 straight, IMO.

But let's do what the bracktologists do, and seed the field.
UNC is the #1 in the South. BOOMER SOONER (with Blake Griffin-way better than Hasheem Thabeet) is #1 in the Midwest. Pitt in #1 in the East. and Let's still send UConn out to the West as a #1.

Arizona State is pretty good out west in the Pac10, and UCLA's final four streak is in SERIOUS trouble. Their talents freshmen aren't as good as last year in Love and Collison can't do it ALL.

In the Big 12, OU be the best while Texas just has too many holes to REALLY be a contender. KU, the defending champs will MAKE the field, but that's about it.

In the SEC, there is a new frontrunner every day it seems. I like Jodie Meeks and Kentucky because Pat Patterson is there to help out the SHOULD-BE POY in the SEC. Out in the west, a new team steps up each day so who cares. The SEC stinks this year. The real talent is in the East with UK and SoCar (wow did I just say that?) Tennessee is not that good. Oh, you beat Georgia twice...who hasn't? Wait, Florida. Oops. PS, I think Florida's loss to UGA should knock them OUT of the tournament. Hello NIT!

as far as Duke, I like them about as much as I like Nevan's chances of moving out of Olivia's apartment on The City, which is not very much. Speaking of The City, how funny is Allie, Adam's girlfriend. She looks like an alien with those sunken in eyes. I watched Star Wars Episode II with Wifey the other day and when ObiWan goes to visit the clone-making planet and that Alien greets him, we both said, "Hey, it's Allie!" And Duncan is rather troll-looking to, with the beard and the disheveled hair. When he left Erin last night after breaking up with her because she had the audacity to SPEAK to another male (what a boner move that was. Does he own a mirror? And has he SEEN Erin? That is an Eddie Fogler move if I've ever seen one!), Wifey wondered aloud why he was taking a cab to go to a bridge? I thought it might have been so he could avoid the snow. He does live UNDER the bridge. He wouldn't want to get his beard wet and matty. BACK to Duke, we've seen them exposed AGAIN and again. Over the last four games, they are 1-3, with the lone win coming after Miami choked the game away. Duke isn't very good and I've said this before: they will stink until this core group of players is gone. Expect two more years of this!

Clemson is doing JUST what we KNEW they would do: run out fast then stumble like Barbaro. Or pull up like Big Brown. Clemson does this EVERY YEAR and I am proud to say that Sportsbyfletch called this and was NOT fooled! UVa beat them for pete's sake!
And while we are talking about the ACC, GT, you guys SUCK. Major balls. Yeah you beat Georgia, but who hasn't? If (and probably when) you go 1-15 in the conference, why are you keeping your coach again? Because he has one HECK of a recruiting class coming in? Didn't he have two lotto picks about three years ago that he did NOTHING with? Why would you want this guy to mess up this great recruiting class coming in? Favors is a one-and-one and if you lose him, so what. Get rid of Hewitt and start over. I would say you can't do any worse, but you could. You could go 0-16. So Paul Hewitt is good enough for ONE WIN on a Saturday morning when the team you beat just knocked off the #1 team and is experiencing a hangover. But congrats!

The Big East is the last conference I want to talk about (sorry Big10, I hate you and every single one of your teams). While they seemed to be stacked, and they are in fact the best conference (probably because they have 16 teams and if the ACC wanted to play like that, grab Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee out of the SEC to make 16 and I'd call it pretty even) I think the statement by the Louisville kid last week was maybe the dumbest I have ever heard out of someone from that school: "The last place team in the Big East could win the ACC!" REALLY? So DePaul at 8-18 and 0-13 could take down UNC? Brother, PITT couldn't take down UNC. Neither could UConn, even with the Dyson kid that just went down (and without him, the Huskies cannot win it all). I like when people are proud of their conferences; heck I beat my SEC chest, but I KNOW that Florida couldn't have beaten USC last year. They were the BEST team in the country, I don't care WHERE the BCS trophy ended up. Urban Meyer should be thanking his lucky stars there is not a playoff, because he'd lose to USC in the final four or the finals every year. And he knows it.

UNC is by FAR the class of Basketball this season, even with their personnel losses. Now they just STILL have the best team, but no longer the best depth. Take way THans, and Wayne and Lawson kill you. Try and stop Lawson and Wayne & Psycho T will inside-out you to death. UNC is just plain stacked and with Roy Williams (better than Coach K at this point to be the best in the game), the Heels won't lose this year. Psycho T reminds me a bit of John Adams from John Adams of HBO how he won't be denied in his quest (for a title and Independence, respectively). Adams did what he had to do, with trusting certain people, making deals and getting TJ involved, just like #50 is doing with letting Lawson do his thing and scoring less while doing the dirty work to get a ring. I am looking forward to OU and UNC going at it for the whole she-bang. Blake v Tyler. Willie Warren v Ty Lawson. Can't wait! And sorry Capel, but Ole Roy wins his second.

Back to John Adams, for a second. I was YELLING at Laura Linney for giving her kids the pox vaccination because I thought she had killed her daughter. I dunno, I think I would have rather taken my chances and hoped I didn't get it, opposed to INVITING IT INTO MY HOUSE. But whatevs. I have enjoyed the series thus far. Pretty much matches up word for word to how I was taught the thang in 4th grade history. Looking forward to seeing more. I love history like that. And the music is great too. Give it a whirl if you Netflix! Sportsbyfletch officially gives the endorsement. I should be paid for that, at least a free subscription to netflix.

No comments: