Monday, October 20, 2008

I hate to say it, but there is no getting around it

From the way it has looked (according to THIS GUY) for most of this season, it appears that Georgia Running back Knowshon Moreno is playing "not to get hurt." As a redshirt sophomore, Knowshon is eligible for the NFL draft after this season and many pundits have him as a potential first rounder, possibly even in the top 15. Hey, he has an investment and I can't fault him for wanting to protect it, but as a Georgia fan, I'd like to see him get after it a little more. QUIT TAPPING YOUR HELMET!

Very nice future prospects for #24 of the Red and Black. Too bad he is playing his sophomore year to NOT get hurt. He doesn't appear to be going all out like he did last season. Remember after the Florida game last year when Moreno said he could have played another full game? This was when he carried 30+ times and had no backup due to injuries. We fell in love with him that game and I don't think he tapped his helmet a single time that game.

This year though, he has Caleb King and Richard Samuel behind him and he LOOKS like he is asking to come out more this season. I am not doubting that he doesn't run hard when he's in there. You can see that he is stiff-arming folks in their FACES and leaping over the opposition, but WHY with the game hanging in the balance, was he on the sidelines as Caleb King was in the game. Crunch time and KM24 is NOT in there? COME ON! I see Knowshon run it on first down, then block on second down, but then I see #24 tapping his helmet to come out for 3rd and short. Huh? Did that really wear you out? Get back in there!

When asked about substitutions, CMR said that the players dictate when they come out and Knowshon can stand by Tony Ball (the running backs coach) to let them know he is ready to come back in. Has Knowshon's endurance dropped THAT much since that Florida game? Was that just lip service? Can he not be in an entire series? I can understand his coming out if it is 3-9 (well not really since BooBoo loves running that little screen to him) but I didn't understand that as a 19/20/21 year old young man would need that many breathers.

Bottom line, the guy is insanely talented, but he is asking out way more than I'd like. I hope he was just saving his energy for the next two games, but unfortunately I think he is saving it for 2009 when he is running back kicks and punts for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Knowshon, prove me wrong. PLEASE. Go out and have another 175 yard day with a few TDs this Saturday against LSU. But dude, if the game is on the line in the fourth, I want YOU on the field, not Caleb King. No disrespect to #4, but he is NO #24.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Roomie, as usual, I couldn't agree more. I have nothing against Caleb King, but I kept asking Josh why he was playing so much. Especially on third and long plays. WTF?