Friday, October 31, 2008

Mojo Jojo has got NOTHING on me!

Before we get to today's picks, I have to say that I was out-popcultured out last night by Wifey. I didn't understand a reference made in Dawson's Creek to Mojo Jojo, and Wifey had to explain to me that MJ was the bad guy in Power Puff girls. Yep. How could I have missed that one? Well, I don't consider today's cartoons to be a part of pop culture. The only cartoons I wish to discuss were the top 110 that I counted down on this very blog several months ago.
Quick before we get to the picks: Jenn Lindley CONTINUES to make me pine for her death when she got angry at a guy (CJ) for not liking her and then sleeping with a girl he was interested in (Audrey aka Skinny Kayle from Paris Hilton's BFF) This goes back to the entire thing of a girl "owning the rights" to a guy and therefore punishing the guy for being attractive and preventing him from dating some one he is interested in who happens to SORT OF be a friend of the original girl. Uncool. Just saying. And PS, Jenn totally broke this Monroe Doctrine by banging Dawson when Joey TOTALLY had the rights to him.
And Eddie, wow is he dreamy. I would have blown off my final too if I was Joey. Just saying..........

Now then, ON TO THE PICKS!

Northwestern @ #17 Minnesota. So Pam Ward brings her dance party to the Minneapolis area this weekend. I saw a stat where Minnesota could actually make the Rose Bowl without winning a single game against a ranked opponent (they miss Penn State on the schedule this year and they lost to duh Ohio State.) Hey cool, we can see USC drop a missle on the Gophers! Can't wait. Take the Gophers in this one JUST SO the Rose Bowl can continue to give us TURRBULL games and maybe THEN the stuffy Rose Bowl committee can FINALLY realize, "Hey let's make a good game opposed to a stupid tradition!"

Wisco @ #21 Michigan State. The Spartans are ranked again? THE BIG 11! FOOTBALL IS BACK! Wait. no, nevermind. That thrillfest that was PSU/OSU last week....it put Daddio to sleep. (well that and a little Dewers, but I digress). So Michigan State is the fourth best team in the Big 11? And they got crushed by Ohio State, who got crushed by USC, who got crushed by Oregon State? Hmmmmmmmmmm Maybe the Rose Bowl should just get two teams that aren't from the PAC10 or the Big 11 altogether! But I am banking on Sparty rallying to win several in a row and knock off PSU to end the year. Sorry JoePa. The 300 win this one

West Va @ UConn. I always think this game is funny: the hillbillies v the Bluebloods. I don't know why, but it always is. West Va will have Tommy Bowden breathing down Stewart's neck, which is like having Blaine Boyer come into a game for Chris Reitsma. But West Va can't screw this one up can they? They looked pretty decent against Auburn (who hasn't?) and they will have the two best players on the field in White and Devine. The Neers win.

Miami @ UVa. The Hurricanes coach told the media to go to the UGA/Florida game because "something was going to happen. Don't come to our game. Go to that game. There is your story." Was that giving the press a scoop or trying to NOT get the press to cover his game at UVA where his team will likely lose? Sorry Dennis, UVa continues its roll! GROH MUST STAY!

Auburn @ Ole Miss. At the beginning of the year, Auburn was supposed to be playing for an SEC West bid, not a bowl bid, while Ole Miss was expected to be playing for MAYBE a bowl bid. They are, but they've been losing in recent weeks, setting this game up NOT as a clash of the titans, but as two desperate teams trying to make it to the Independence Bowl. Ole Miss would be happy to go there, Auburn would probably not let Tuberville back on the team charter after the game. Go with Ole Miss in this one at home. The Grove + hot coeds = a big Ole Miss win.

K-State @ KU. Wow this one has to rank RIGHT UP THERE in intrastate games that I REALLY could sleep through. Oh, Colorado/Colorado State. Iowa/Iowa State are right up there too. But Todd Reesing and his coach are going to celebrate this win at Arby's after the game. HEY! I'm thinking Arby's!

#18 Tulsa @ Arkie. I bet Gus Mahlzan was PUMPED about getting to face his old coach in Houston Nutt, but now he has to settle for Bobby Petrino. Hey Gus Gus, Petrino is a REAL offensive genius, not a high school coach that used his best team to leverage several coordinator jobs. Just so you know. Oh Tulsa's offense is good, you say? Ummm do they play in Conference USA or the Meac or the MAC, I forget. Remember Tony Franklin was a genius at Troy too! But Tulsa wins this because Arkie isn't very good. Hey Petrino, THANKS FOR THE BLACK EYE FOR THE SEC! You and Sly Croom are AWESOME!

Colorado @ TAMU. How exciting, the loser of this game will likely get the #1 pick in next season's Big 12 draft...wait, it doesn't work like that? Crap. Well, go with Colorado, because THIS AIN'T INTRAMURALS BROTHER! THIS IS DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!

Pitt @ Notre Dame. The Stache v the Fupa! Could this one GET any better? If Notre Dame wins this one, I think they will punch the Fighting Irish ticket for the Fiesta Bowl to face Boise State/Utah and NO ONE will watch! Notre Dame wins this one though at home. Sorry Stache.

UK @ Miss State. Wow, two schools that went to bowls last year and semi-big things were expected of them this year. While Rich Brooks will probably step aside at UK for Joker Phillips, Miss State will keep Sly Croom employed, because, well, you know. We can't fire him. Mississippi State Football:We Settle for mediocrity! Miss State at home.

#14 Mizzou @ Baylor. I bet Chase Daniel is REALLY confused now. ESPN's Gameday hasn't called him to do something for the show in like THREE WEEKS! But I thought Mizzou was the best two loss team in the country.....wait.....They win here though.

Iowa State @ #9 Okie State. Hey Will Muschamp, think REALLY HARD about which job you jump to this year. Gene Chzik is an example of what happens when a smart minded DC from Texas jumps to a bad situation. Be smart here Muschamp. Okie State wins this one for the 41 year old Gundy

#24 Oregon @ Cali. I wonder if it is hard to go on the road in the Pac 10? I mean going TO Berkley, that might actually be tough. you have to avoid all of the protesters on the way to the stadium.....I think The Fighting Sandys make life DIFFICULT for the Ducks and Cali takes it. MILD UPSET? Nope, just a typical weekend of WACKY PAC 10 FOOTBALL!

Klimpsen @ BC. So Dabo gets his second crack at this coaching thing. I wonder if the Klimpsen AD will be strolling along the sidelines at this game? CJ Spiller is back and I think Cullen Harper decided that his "surgery" could be done while he could still play and The Mouth of the South is BACK. BC isn't very good, but I said that I wouldn't pick Klimpsen for three years. BC to win.

Duke @ Wake. I laughed when I saw that Duke beat Vandy last week to prevent Vandy from getting bowl eligible. COuld Vandy actually not make a bowl after starting the year 5-0? Could happen. Duke meanwhile needs only two more wins. Will one come here? NO. Wake Forest (in the smallest BCS conference stadium in the land) will crush the bookworms.

Iowa @ Illinois. BIG 11 FOOTBALL! GET IN TO IT! I heard that Juice Williams was contemplating going pro after this year, but that he might be getting distracted from playing because he is worried about going pro. Yeah because I am sure NFL Scouts are DROOLING over this guy. Because spread QBs that have never not really stepped up against crap competition are REALLY in high demand in the pros......Illi wins this one though.

U-Dub @ #5 USC. Now that TyWill has "resigned" all of the pressure will be off of the Huskies and they can play hard against USC......that theory holds as much water as shotgunned beer. The men of Troy continue its march through the horrible Pac 10. Second best conference? My butt.

#1 Texas @ #7 Texas Tech. As a UGA fan, I NEED The Red Raidahs to beat the Longhorns. But first I need UGA to pull off a miracle and beat Florida. One thing at a time. If I start watching this game in a good mood, (that would mean UGA beat Florida) then I REALLY won't care who wins this one. But like Texas isn't going to win. Come on................

Nebraska @ #4 OU. Remember in 2000-01 when this game was between #1 and #2? Yeah, how the "mighty" have fallen. Nebraska might have been able to pull the upset at home, but not on the road. Sorry Children of the corn.

Pro ranks
ATL @ Oakland. A 4pm EC start and no Sam Baker and DHall wanting revenge......Come on, it is still Oakland. I think Ryan and Roddy White just kill DHall, as Tim McGraw and Nelly would say, "Over and Over again." I had chalked this one up for the Birds BEFORE Matt Ryan decided to win rookie of the year....

Poo Poo Platter specials...
Lock of the week
Arkie State @ #2 Bama. Really Tide? You guys REALLY think you should be facing these guys THIS LATE IN THE YEAR! (wait, LSU is playing Tulane. Nevermind) I know UL-M upset you guys last year in a game like this, but Bama is a TAD better this year than last. Tide ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Upset pick
Tennessee @ SoCar. Fulmer going into Spurrier's Cockfighting arena. You know Spurrier would LOVE to be the one to drive the final nail into Fulmer's coffin. BUT I THINK FULMER fights back and UPSETS the evil genius. Eric Berry leads the way to the win.

Local rooting interest the state of GA v the state of FL
#15 FSU @ GT. So some GT fans are rooting for Jaybo Shaw to play over Josh Nesbitt this weekend against FSU? Huh? So you want the LESS Athletic QB going against the best D you will have seen to date? OK, sure, THAT MAKES SENSE. GT's running game will look good, but I want to go ahead and say that FSU IS NEARLY BACK! I will be rooting for a GT win, but I think The Noles take them.

# 8 Florida v #6 UGA in Jax. Ladies and Gents, the world's largest outdoor cocktail party, outside of Mardi Gras! Whereas last week I felt the game was a tossup that favored UGA, I think this week is a tossup that favors Florida. They are fast fast fast, and while I think their D is still suspect, when you score 50+, the defense doesn't matter. If this is a low scoring game, I think UGA wins, if it is a 48-45 game, I think Florida wins. Run Knowshon and keep Tebow on the side of the field...unless the Code Red is going to work for you. Red pants AND red tops? I thought UGA learned its lesson about the unis in the Bama game. But hey, ya never know. Come on Dawgs, let's get after them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in my best monotone voice: Florida is a good team. It should be a battle. We need to play four quarters of football and win the turnover battle. If we can limit our mistakes and win the special teams battle, I think we'll have a good shot. But Florida is a very talented team and we are just excited about the opportunity to face them. It's our goal as a team to go 1-0 this week because EVERY SEC East game is important.