Saturday, April 26, 2008

Falcons fumble first day, Skins' Castle made of sand

As we all know, I am a Redskins fan (if forced to watch football on Sunday. Come on, we all know REAL football is teed up on Saturdays!), but as I now live in Atlanta, I also follow the Falcons for part of my job. Therefore I followed today's first day of NFL Draft 2008 with great interest. And I must say, the Redskins started off with gangbusters, dealing their first round pick TO the Falcons (along with a third rounder and a fifth for the Falcons' Oakland second, Houston second, and the Falcons' fourth. A pretty even trade if you ask me. At first I thought Washington just got the 2 seconds in exchange for the one first, a REAL FLEECING of Atlanta, but then after seeing the whole shakedown, it turned out to be an even trade.)

Then the Skins were able to nab Devin Thomas, a 6'2 receiver with that first second rounder, a guy that they probably would have taken with the number 21 overall. PLUS they wouldn't have to pay him first round money. I was excited. Then came Fred Davis, the USC TE at #48 (the Houston pick from Atlanta) I really liked Davis, but thought it was weird that the Skins took him, especially since they have Pro Bowler Chris Cooley at TE/H-Back, but more weapons for Jason Campbell and Zorn. FINE. But then to see the Skins with their own #51 take Malcolm Kelly, another WR, when Quentin Groves the DE from Auburn was there. Now, I know that BOTH Thomas and Kelly were first round talents, but REALLY, BOTH WR in the second round? Did the Skins REALLY need them both with Santana Moss and Randle-El both there? I know Lloyd is gone, as is Caldwell, but two Rooks thrown in with another rookie TE? And not paying attention to the defense at all? No CBs? Just wondering. I love the trade with ATL, but I am not certain taking the two WRs, plus Davis, a WR in a TEs body was the way to go. Maybe Zorn will just try and outscore people this year. I think the potential castle was made of sand and the tide may be coming in.

As for the Falcons, what a WASTE this draft has become. I think TD and AB will go home tonight and wish they could hit the restart button on the PS3 of life. I hate hearing that Mattie Ice has "the potential to be a solid QB." Ummm think about that statement made today by Mort I believe it was. The POTENTIAL (meaning he isn't there yet) to be a solid QB (meaning NOT a superstar.) So, if he is the next Matt Hasselbeck, OK, but why take him #3 overall. You really want a guy that COULD be a Matt Hasselbeck when a Glen Dorsey is sitting RIGHT THERE at Number 3? Glen Dorsey will be wearing a gold jacket in 20 years. I don't think we can say that Ryan will be donning one at this time. Why go with a risky thing that could turn out to be OK when you have a SURE thing RIGHT NOW. With Matty Ice under center the Falcons go 3-13. With Joe Harrington/Chris Redman they go 3-13. With Dorsey in there though, they go 5-11 and have a chance to REALLY start something.
Moving on to the trade of the two second rounders for another first...let me start by saying that I don't fault the Falcons at ALL for this. Especially when you get another third in this trade AND you have a chance to land another first rounder, DO IT. But trading up to grab Sam Baker? He would have TOTALLY been there with that pick in the second round. And you could have nabbed Baker there, BROHM with the #37 (because you would have taken Dorsey at Number 3) and then get Groves/Cal Campbell/Davis/Tyrell Johnson at 48...wow I think the Falcons blundered this one away. I really do.

Overall, I say the Dolphins did well getting JLong then Merling in the second. The Chiefs did an outstanding job in landing Dorsey and Albert and Flowers, and even the Cowboys (it pains me to say this) pulled in players that will help them in Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins. I can't understand why the Patriots traded down to #10 to take Jared Mayo, but they have three rings, and I just have one (a wedding ring). Finally with Brian Brohm in the fold in Green Bay, Aaron Rogers can't love life TOO much right now, with Favre talking about maybe coming back. Was this a message to Brett? Interesting call here.

Can't wait for day two. Don't worry I will blog all about it tomorrow, with some intelligent insight which is more than I can say for some of my peers, no names mentioned, but everyone SHOULD know of whom I am speaking. Yeah, a guy that can't hold my jock, nor would I want him to. But so glad he gets to talk about this thing while I can only write about it. He should watch out though. I am coming.
Extra Innings this Friday PS. I will be back blogging about the Braves tomorrow, and I begin the Braves beat for Score Atlanta after tomorrow's deadline. So not this Wednesday, but the following Wednesday, LOOK OUT!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WELCOME HOME ROOMIE!!!!