Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Very Early Top 25 for CBB 2008-09

I know that Kansas JUST cut down the nets, but I wanted to look ahead to the 2008-09 year. I put together a little top 10 list and decided to give my thoughts on who should be cutting down the nets next season.
Warning, I am taking into account those players that SHOULD go pro vs those who I don't think should, and I will also mention those that shouldn't but will BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID.

With no further ado...
1) UNC. Psycho T should be coming back and so should Ty Lawson, same with Ellington. Roy Williams should be able to talk these guys back by promising them a championship that slipped away this year. They got close enough to taste it. I think all three come back and I think maybe the go close to an undefeated run.
2) USC. Call me Crazy, but I think OJ Mayo comes back along with Taj Gibson and the team adds Demar DeRozan, the top recruit in the country and they are a solid two. OJ had a disappointing season and his stock certainly took a hit. A great sophomore year in LA means this guy is the Top Pick in 2009
3) Texas. With AJ and DJ back (neither should leave. DJ might leave though. wouldn't be smart) and the big man James coming back, this team wouldn't lose much and they are quite talented. Too bad Rick Barnes coaches them...
4) KU, but this could certainly change depending on how many of them leave for the Pros. Rush and Arthur are gone and Robinson and Kahn were seniors. But Collins and Chalmers and Aldrich should make this team strong. And if Bill Self stays, he will have some decent pieces in place for a repeat. Reminds me a LOT of the leftovers Maryland had in 2003.
5) UCONN was playing balls out by the end of the year. An early upset may motivate this team, but how fast can Price come back from an ACL injury?
6) Purdue. most of their team last year were freshmen. Now they will all be sophomores as none should turn pro. The Hummel (spelling) guy was really outstanding last season.
7) Duke. It PAINS me to put them up high, but they were a year away this year, meaning next year they will make a run. The only thing is, they lose DeMarcus Nelson, who turned out to be VERY good and though Kyle Singler will probably go, he didn't offer much of a post presence anyways. His leaving will open up a spot for Scheyer in the lineup. Their young guys should be ready to play next season. Stupid Dook!
8) Notre Dame led by Luke Harangody will MAYBE win the Big East. Wait, I thought Notre Dame wasn't in a conference. Nevermind that is only when the Fupa is involved. That guy is a genius!
9) Pitt. Fields might be the nation's second best PG (behind Lawson ahead of Augustine and Mayo, sorry bud you AREN'T A PG)
10) Tennessee. I have to have an SEC in the top 10. Just have to. Tyler Smith is back, but Lofton and JuJuan Smith are gone. Bruce Pearl is a heck of a coach. He's never won and SEC tourney (like Felton has) but still a heck of a coach!

K-State is losing Billy Walker and Michael Beasley
Memphis is losing Dorsey, Rose and CD-R
Stanford is losing the Lopez twins
UCLA is losing the entire team (KLove, Westbrook, Collison, Shipp, Mata)
Wazzou lost everyone
UK should lose Patterson and Bradley
Florida is still too young plus they lose Speights.(spelling)
Wake's best recruit just shot a woman with a BB gun
Georgetown lost Hibbert, Ewing, and Wallace, and while they still have Summers that isn't enough
Arizona is losing Budinger and Bayless
Louisville is losing Padgett, Palacios and Clark. too much to ask Sosa to do there
Indiana is losing Gordon and most of the rest of their starting 5 (But they have Crean)
Marquette may have James and McNeal back but they lost Crean. TOO MUCH!
Michy State lost Neitzel and while they have other pieces, not good enough for the top ten.
West Va could make some noise if Joe Alexander comes back and he probably should. Plus they have Huggins.
And I MIGHT EVEN PUT UGA in the top 25 if I made my list today.

As for my rumor, I think that Bill Self stays at KU, and I hear the Okie State is going after Billy Gillespie of UK. He would go, no doubt (a fool would turn down 3.5/year with a 6M signing bonus) Then UK would target Billy Donovan (I think he MIGHT go this time) but assuming he says no, UK then targets Dennis Felton. AND HE WOULD GO to UK. And if I am Georgia, let him go. Then go get Anthony Grant of VCU or Gregg Marshall from Wichita State.
UGA should be pretty good next year. In a rebuilding EASTERN DIVISION of the SEC, I think UGA has JUST as good a shot as "Coming down" Tennessee and "Hopefully they'll care this year" Florida. As for Kentucky, if Patterson goes, should I be scared of Jodie Meeks? Vandy lost Shan Foster and should lose Ogilvey. Finally SoCar blew their chance to hire Marshall, instead taking a coach from Western Kentucky. That doesn't work out the first 4+ years. But that 5th SEC Tourney, WATCH OUT!

No comments: