Sunday, April 6, 2008

OK Tex, You're off the hook

Big Tex, I must start by saying that I'm s.....ure my calling you out the other day lit a fire under you (What, you thought I was going to apologize?) I called out your "spring training isn't important" statement and you saved the game for the Braves today. The Braves won 3-1 over the Mets, earning a mini-sweep of the New York joke of a team. The Bravos are now back to .500, which is good.

Several things, Johan looked pretty good for the Mets, but not unbeatable. He got into a bit of trouble in the 4th, 5th and 6th, but he got out of it each time. The one run the Braves got for Smoltzie looked like it would hold up until Chipper and Big Tex both scored on Tex's long ball in the 8th. I am glad the Braves had the 3-0 lead because Soriano didn't look comfortable in that closer role. When Gonzo comes back, Bobby SHOULD think long and hard about putting RS back in the 8th inning role and having Gonzo finish the games. He did it in Pitt, I think he could do it here.

Smoltz only went 5, giving up 2 hits, striking out 6, pitching 75 or so pitches. I guess since his spot in the order was up, they went ahead and took him out. The bullpen looked good, up until Soriano. Smoltz I am guessing will go maybe 90 pitches next time, then 100 then get turned loose?

Finally, Kotsay continues to look good out there. His approach at the plate is solid, just raking the ball to all parts of the field. And fielding wise, the dropoff from Andruw I don't think is that great.

Good series for the Braves, and now they go on the road and let's hope they can keep winning series after series. That is Bobby Cox baseball, and if they win 2 of every 3, with an occasional sweep, you are looking at 96 wins and a division.

No comments: