Monday, April 28, 2008

Take that you bandwagon jumpers!

Let me start by saying that in NO WAY will I be jumping on the Hawks bandwagon. In fact I was OPENLY rooting against them tonight (not rooting for the Celtics and thus jumping on their bandwagon, but rooting against a Game 6, and thus no Extra Innings on Friday night)
I WAS in attendance tonight though with Score Atlanta, and, with the exception of a Philips Arena official threatening to make my life "hard" because one of my fellow Score ATL people only doing what the attendant at the VIP told him to do, it was a CRAZY, fun night. By the time the game had started, the stands were packed, but I got a pretty good view of the folks coming into Philips tonight. And the crazy part was how many "Boston" fans were entering the doors.
I seriously wanted to ask them, "Where did Dee Brown go to college" or "What was McKale's number" or "How do you spell ML Carr?" These weren't fans. These were bandwagon jumpers from Atlanta that wear the LeBron jerseys when the Cavs are in town and the Kobe 24s when the LakeShow arrives.
I could SMELL the new jersey smell of all of those Garnett 5s. Sports Authority must have LOVED the Celtics coming to town, so they could sell all those new jerseys to Boston's new fans.
The absolute worst was the 14 year old girl wearing the Garnett jersey with a Boston 2007 World Series Champs hat on. Give me a break. I wanted to ask her if she wanted to marry Tom Brady, but every girl wants to marry Tom Brady. If she had been wearing a Bruins hat, fine. I would know that she really is a Boston fan. But it was clear that she was JUST AS FRONT-RUNNING AS 98% of those Florida Gator fans are. PLUS, this chick wasn't alive even in 1986. It doesn't really faze me though. I think it would suck to have actually been a REAL Boston fan through all of those dry years, only to now be going through a GREAT time, and having all of these hangers-on.

But the funniest thing about tonight was, when the Hawks jumped up at the half then stormed back in the 4th, thanks to Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, all those "Boston Fans" started cheering when JJ would slide through a double team and connect on a layup. They would "forget" about their new Paul Pierce threads when JSmoove would drain a three. DID YOU FORGET YOU WERE A BOSTON FAN?

All I know is, Boston WILL win game 5 in Beantown and Atlanta will be invaded again Friday by a bunch of NON-Boston area Boston fans that strangely will look a LOT like my Sandy Springs and Norcross neighbors, and just MAYBE if the Hawks can eek out Game 6, those same fans will be rooting on the home team. I don't think Atlanta can win a game in Boston, but heck, why NOT push this thing to Game 7. If Joe Johnson can look this good in Atlanta, maybe just maybe he can play out of his head when ALL of the refs will be opening calling for the Celtics in game 7 because Stern will tell them to do so. Basically, if my show on Friday gets cancelled, I at LEAST want it to be for a Hawks win.

And to make FOOLS out of all of those Boston poseurs. Go back to pretending to be a "lifelong fan" in Boston. I guess you have to do it down here because up there people will call you out on it. GUESS WHAT?! I called you out tonight. And I did so at Philips too. You know who you are that I openly questioned. You felt stupid because you were faking. Yeah, I may be an ass, but at least I am REAL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude. No way. Found your blog by complete accident. Long time no see since Clayton. Been reading your stuff this morning. Hilarious. Drop me a line sometime.

Ryan Chambers
ryan@gsuradionetwork.com